All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

Ah, Easter. The celebration of the very essence of what defines Christianity, but no-one thought to write down the date 

So a pagan festival had to be appropriated, along with it's collection of pagan symbols, believers make icons of eggs and bunnies on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the solar equinox.

Sounds legit.

• Like 3

On 13/04/2019 at 06:29, Chindie said:

It never fails to raise a surge of pride in my heart every time the elderly Jehovah troop skips past my house on their rounds.

Shame on you.

I do my civic duty and keep them long as possible. I keep them talking and explaining stuff to them. You are letting them prey on the potentially more gullible. Sadly they seem to be avoiding me now.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There Is No One Like Jesus

There is no one like Jesus,
Our Savior and Lord
The message is timeless
The price we could not afford.

On the cross
He bore our shame
Suffering, He died,
Our souls to reclaim.

Three days later
He rose from the grave
Purchased our pardon,
We are no longer enslaved.

What is your actual evidence for believing this, Mr Rugeley?

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I have no evidence. I like every other person only has a belief. Show me the evidence that it’s not true? 

I am not making the claim that it is true. I can show you no more evidence that an angel did not come to a woman and foretell of some kind immaculate conception than for fairies under my garden shed. But there is a whack load of absence of evidence for their existence.

So you believe in something that you have no evidence for. Fair enough. 

6 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I am not making the claim that it is true. I can show you no more evidence that an angel did not come to a woman and foretell of some kind immaculate conception than for fairies under my garden shed. But there is a whack load of absence of evidence for their existence.

So you believe in something that you have no evidence for. Fair enough. 

If I’m being honest, no I don’t believe everything that is in the bible. I do believe in a higher power though, and I think religion can guide people in a positive way. 

31 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If I’m being honest, no I don’t believe everything that is in the bible. I do believe in a higher power though, and I think religion can guide people in a positive way. 

Fair enough.

So I presume you don't believe that Jesus was literally the son of god? If so the little prayer you posted does not quite make sense, at least not to me.

OK, you believe in a "higher power". Is this like a personal higher power, that is represented in the Abrahamic religions? eg this higher power actually cares about you and me?

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Can it also guide them in a negative way?

I think @Brumerican first linked this here years ago, but it's well worth watching

Tl;dw - Jesus has a remarkably similar story to a great many other saviour deities, and there's vanishingly little evidence that a preacher called Jesus existed at all.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I think @Brumerican first linked this here years ago, but it's well worth watching

Tl;dw - Jesus has a remarkably similar story to a great many other saviour deities, and there's vanishingly little evidence that a preacher called Jesus existed at all.

I have not watched the video and I am sure it is quite erudite on the subject matter. I am guessing the problem with this kind of argument is, it is all brain and no heart. Religion has wormed its way into some people's hearts the same way science has into mine. So people I think can understand the logic behind the arguments against (certain aspects) of a particular religion, but things like science and logic might not meet everyone's needs. 

So to win people over from religion, an emotional hook is needed. God knows what that might be.

2 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Fair enough.

So I presume you don't believe that Jesus was literally the son of god? If so the little prayer you posted does not quite make sense, at least not to me.

OK, you believe in a "higher power". Is this like a personal higher power, that is represented in the Abrahamic religions? eg this higher power actually cares about you and me?

I wouldn’t say I don’t believe it no. My belief system is that there is quite possibly a god. I believe in the devil and evil, so it makes sense that I believe in god and good over evil. I believe that there is power in Christ. 

In terms of higher power then I suppose you could have all sorts of things whether it be personal or not. I think if you reach out to Jesus and open yourself up on the religious path then you will be guided by Jesus and the light and love of Christ. 

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

I have not watched the video and I am sure it is quite erudite on the subject matter. I am guessing the problem with this kind of argument is, it is all brain and no heart. Religion has wormed its way into some people's hearts the same way science has into mine. So people I think can understand the logic behind the arguments against (certain aspects) of a particular religion, but things like science and logic might not meet everyone's needs. 

So to win people over from religion, an emotional hook is needed. God knows what that might be.

I totally get this .

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I believe in the devil and evil, so it makes sense that I believe in god and good over evil.

What are the planetary genocide stats for both candidates ?

Is drowning kids good ?

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I wouldn’t say I don’t believe it no.

So you think it is a reasonable possibility Jesus is the son of God? But you might be skeptical that an angel foretold of the immaculate conception, but it was immaculate nevertheless? If so what persuades you?

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

My belief system is that there is quite possibly a god. I believe in the devil and evil

This does not quite make sense to me Mr Rugeley. You believe God is a possibility, fair enough; but, you believe (apparently unconditionally) there is a devil?

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I think if you reach out to Jesus and open yourself up on the religious path then you will be guided by Jesus and the light and love of Christ

Is this not a bit of a tautology? Perhaps, I think I see the light now without having any fantastic beliefs? What are my reasons for needing this belief. 

Here are some sayings reportedly from Jesus:

Otherwise, avoid rules and follow the truth you discover yourself.

Act from awareness, not habit or convention.

Don’t blindly repeat rituals.

Don’t trust those with spiritual pretensions.

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I totally get this .

So you agree a logical or reasoned argument won't win you over and that those of us who wish to proselytize atheism should be reaching for an emotional hook? 

Â