All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

You could apply that to any practising religioner

Actually, even I wouldn't go that far. I do know some believers who live very full lives, with no wasted time at all. 

I probably would apply it to monks and nuns who shut themselves away and do pretty much nothing but pray, though. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Actually, even I wouldn't go that far. I do know some believers who live very full lives, with no wasted time at all. 

I probably would apply it to monks and nuns who shut themselves away and do pretty much nothing but pray, though. 

If they got to church once a month, that is wasted time. I guess what I was trying to say was any time taking part in religious activity is wasted time, not so much a wasted life

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

If they got to church once a month, that is wasted time. I guess what I was trying to say was any time taking part in religious activity is wasted time, not so much a wasted life

Nah. It's like a hobby, it gives them pleasure. No more (or less) wasted than watching football, playing a video game, getting wrecked down the pub, etc. When it becomes an obsession, or they start using it to justify interfering in other people's lives, that's different matter. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m actually going to go the church and buy the book of David for £29.99 that the old guy advised me to do.  He told me that I would be even more welcome to the kingdom of heaven because I was born a non Christian. 

Im very curious now.

ef8.jpg

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I can kind of understand the point of them knocking on doors and trying (and failing) to talk people round, but what I don't get is there are always a couple near one of the bus stops in town that just stand there with a stand with leaflets on who don't even try to attract anyone's attention.  They just stand there in silence all day long hoping people will go out of their way to get converted.  What a waste of a life.

Iirc the standing at transport hubs thing came about because they realised that the door knocking didn't work and an awful lot of the congregations actually hated doing it, so they worked out that they would potentially get more success by just waiting at thoroughfares and other places with high footfall and letting interested people approach them. It is less annoying to potential converts, the congregation itself found it less of a ballache and the hit rate would be higher as it's more likely you'll have interested people come to you than you wasting effort trying to find the needle in the haystack.

**** knows if it actually works. Every time I've seen them I just think they're in the bloody way.

15 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Iirc the standing at transport hubs thing came about because they realised that the door knocking didn't work and an awful lot of the congregations actually hated doing it, so they worked out that they would potentially get more success by just waiting at thoroughfares and other places with high footfall and letting interested people approach them. It is less annoying to potential converts, the congregation itself found it less of a ballache and the hit rate would be higher as it's more likely you'll have interested people come to you than you wasting effort trying to find the needle in the haystack.

**** knows if it actually works. Every time I've seen them I just think they're in the bloody way.

The lot from Penns Lane have taken to the trade parks these days and I always enjoyed their visits with the new Watchtower issue .

They've all got Physics degrees now apparently. (Albeit from Trump Uni)

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Nah. It's like a hobby, it gives them pleasure. No more (or less) wasted than watching football, playing a video game, getting wrecked down the pub, etc. When it becomes an obsession, or they start using it to justify interfering in other people's lives, that's different matter. 

I have years on  the altar under my belt and I never saw much pleasure during Mass through the years .

The relief during the post match handshake is palpable .

Benediction is where the fun stuff happens but nobody ever goes.

There Is No One Like Jesus

There is no one like Jesus,
Our Savior and Lord
The message is timeless
The price we could not afford.

On the cross
He bore our shame
Suffering, He died,
Our souls to reclaim.

Three days later
He rose from the grave
Purchased our pardon,
We are no longer enslaved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Our Savior and Lord
The message is timeless

On the cross
He bore our shame
Suffering, He died,
Our souls to reclaim.

Three days later
He rose from the grave
Purchased our pardon,
We are no longer enslaved.

No he didn’t.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

How did Jesus die second time round?  

'He' 'didn't'.

He's supposed to have been 'ascended to heaven'. Teleported from earth to sit alongside god in the heavens.

Of course this assumes he existed at all, and that anything the Bible tells of him is true. If you assume he was a real man, and not divine, and that the basics of his life in the Bible are correct, he died once, like everyone else, on the cross.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Our Savior and Lord
The message is timeless

On the cross
He bore our shame
Suffering, He died,
Our souls to reclaim.