All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23665106

Long story short: A judge in Cocke County, Tennessee, forces parents to change their son's name from "Messiah" (despite the fact that there are already hundreds of Messiahs in the US already) on the grounds that "The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ."

Oh dear.

Ironically enough for Villa fans, the kid's name is now Martin :)

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 1

That's ridiculous!

The parents should be the only ones who have a say on what a child's name is. It opens a whole can of worms that this Judge has done this though, does that mean he lets his religious views affect other cases he deals with?

Stories like this help remind me why so many people hate religion  :(  (It's one of the tamer stories though)

Except for slavery. The Bible makes it quite clear that slavery is fine. It even details how much you can beat your slaves (they mustn't die within two days) and how good slaves must behave, even if their master is cruel.

So,its ok to have more than 1 wife AND you can have a few slaves as well......Im in.

No. The bible is contradictory about this depending on which bit of it you're reading. Biblically marriage is whatever the ruler at the time thought was okay and now it's whatever some celibate men wearing dresses says is okay.

I have never read the bible.

Only looked at the pictures.

• Like 2

I see Pope Francis and Mario Balotelli had a private chat today. He was the only one to get to talk to the pope one on one. Why?

Have to say I quite like the new pope. Just because he's so photogenic. He does talk the talk though, but there's no doubt about it that he is the head of and has been elected by an evil organisation, so I can only suspect that he himself is also evil..

Also I think Richard Dawkins is a truly detestable individual, and is more closeminded and arrogant than many of the dogmatic folk he confronts.

And that's my current stand on religion

Proof in the bible that Jesus was not a real person but a vision that came to Paul. You know, Paul the one that wrote all those letters that predate the Gospels. In his letter to Romans he asks of the need to spread the word of Jesus to the Jews.

Romans 10:14-21 - Now how can they (the Jews) call on one in whom they have never believed? How can they believe in one of whom they have never heard? And how can they hear (the Gospel) unless someone proclaims him? And who will go to tell them unless he is sent

Also I think Richard Dawkins is a truly detestable individual, and is more closeminded and arrogant than many of the dogmatic folk he confronts.

Once you've come to the conclusion that all religion is bollocks its very hard not to appear "closed minded". But in reality you've had to become open minded to conclude that the given norm of society is indeed nonsense.

He just has his (well informed) opinion and sticks to it because the believers of fairy stories can't ever come up with any proof that he's wrong. The argument the opposite way can however be reasoned quite substantially.

He's not closed minded, he just thinks with full conviction that he's right

• Like 3

He is right but he does seem to use outlets such as twitter as a platform to needlessly provoke.

His statement that there have been fewer Muslim Nobel prize winners than Trinity College, Cambridge was particularly needless and flawed.

He is right but he does seem to use outlets such as twitter as a platform to needlessly provoke.

His statement that there have been fewer Muslim Nobel prize winners than Trinity College, Cambridge was particularly needless and flawed.

Not one of his most well-thought out moments, but the intention was to spark thinking about whether religion was holding science back.

I don't think it was a smart move by him, but I don't see any problem with the underlying sentiment behind it.

• Like 1

I don't know. The more I've tried to reason with religious people, the more obvious it becomes that they are lost causes, and the future is ensuring all children have a secular education. Now, when I mention that to religious folk, they get all worked up and say I'm trying to make religion extinct, and I try to sugar coat it, but **** it, that is exactly what I want and I think a little tough love is needed.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 2

Yes he does.  Anything that stops the brainwashing of people is a good thing in my opinion, no matter how strident the tone of his words.

• Like 3

I see that utter, utter cockknocker Owen Jones has had his say on Dawkins "Writer and Independent columnist Owen Jones responded: "How dare you dress your bigotry up as atheism. You are now beyond an embarrassment."

He's a fine one to talk, the jumped up little tit.

I see that utter, utter cockknocker Owen Jones has had his say on Dawkins "Writer and Independent columnist Owen Jones responded: "How dare you dress your bigotry up as atheism. You are now beyond an embarrassment."

Agreed, on this issue he's idiotic.

I think and think and think ----

What the flipping hell is so wrong about Dawkins' statement? He's not saying Muslims are intellectually inferior, fecks sake.

I'd suggest the 'problem' is that his statement was clumsy and easily misinterpreted by people looking for a simple fight.

In that the guy is clearly intelligent in some ways, why would you put out a deliberately clumsy message, other than if trolling.

Agreed, on this issue he's idiotic.

I really, really rate Owen Jones' political musings. He's spot on on pretty much everyhting I've read from him. I'm not sure where's he's going with that attack on Dawkins though. Dawkins seemed like her was trolling somewhat to me, but that isn't bigotry ...

Not so sure about trolling as such but provoking a debate most definitely. A debate that Owen Jones has failed to realise the point of and as such has criticised Dawkins whilst sitting on the fence even though he himself is as much of an atheist as Dawkins.

He's just trying to appear reasonable. Dawkins and Jones are two atheists divided by their degrees of tolerance for religion.

Tbh I'm with Dawkins why should the planet be ruled by people who use fairy stories from a by gone uninformed age to shape the more enlightened world of today.

I really, really rate Owen Jones' political musings. He's spot on on pretty much everyhting I've read from him.

He's the bastard offspring of peterms and Richard Murphy, and I would never tire of taking a cricket bat to his smug face.

Â