Peter Withe Wants to be the Next Aston Villa Manager.

steve_avfc

VILLA legend Peter Withe has sensationally revealed he wants to manage his old team.

The champion striker, who famously shot Villa to the pinnacle of world football with his goal in the 1982 European Cup final, revealed his “dream” to take the reins to return the Midland giant to glory as it finds itself fighting for its life on the pitch and mired in controversy off it today.

Fans are due to stage a protest outside the ground before today’s final home game against Tottenham Hotspur to vent their frustrations at a terrible season in the Premier League as they face relegation under their manager Alex McLeish.

Speaking from his current home in Perth, Australia, Withe told the Sunday Mercury: “I want to manage Aston Villa and there is no point in my disguising that fact.

“I had a fantastic nine or 10 years at that great club and it would be a dream for me to lead them, an absolute dream come true.

Clicky for original

Peter Withe wants to be Aston Villa manager. I feel he should be given a chance.

When Houllier was apointed manager Paul Faulkner said one of the reasons why Houllier was given the job was because he ''wanted the job, he wanted to do it''.

So does Peter Withe.

I intend to email this to Paul Faulkner, Randy and the General.

What are the fans opinions on this ?

No thanks, a manager shouldn't be appointed based on nostalgia and his managerial career is hardly liked ith success.

When Houllier was apointed manager Paul Faulkner said one of the reasons why Houllier was given the job was because he ''wanted the job, he wanted to do it''.

So does Peter Withe.

Unfortunately, as we now know, Houllier turned out to be a crap manager, however much he apparently wanted the job.

It's not a good guide.

No-one could love Peter Withe more than me for what he did as a player but as a manager he has a mediocre record at best and we can't afford to be taking any more gambles on our next manager.

So it's thumbs_down.gif from me.

I also really want to do it, do I deserve a go?

If McLeish can have a go, why can't any of us?

My Championship Manager 03/04 record is fantastic which I think equals managing in the SPL in real life.

The league was so different when he was playing to how it is now and his only managerial experience is with international sides in East Asia. It's hard to see that he'd be able to make the transition - you can't give someone managerial job on playing reputation alone.

**** it give him a go, get someone in who will instil a bit of passion in the lads playing for Aston villa under Peter Withe

It's a case of heart ruling the head isn't it I think everyone would love to see him there as manager, only problem would be when it goes tits up.

If we are going to get a legend in then I would go for sass curcic above everyone else though

Passion for the club, is a great thing to have in the coaching staff. Thompson at Liverpool, Wilkins at Chelsea for example. But not a strong enough experience at club football to be considered for the top job.

Could teach our strikers a thing or two, though.

The league was so different when he was playing to how it is now and his only managerial experience is with international sides in East Asia. It's hard to see that he'd be able to make the transition - you can't give someone managerial job on playing reputation alone.

He managed Wimbledon in the Premier League, though he wasn't very successful there (understatement!)

Â