Spurs - Villa - we were never the same

VillanousOne

Spurs pre Harry are where we are now. ... .

That's not really true though is it.

Pre-Harry Spurs under Jol finished 5th twice (missed 4th by a whisker) ... and even under Ramos we won the League Cup.

To be fair the CC means sod all. We were 5th 18 months before Harry arrived. Villa were 6th just 2 years ago, so they pretty much are in a similar position. I'd say the main difference is they don't have the infastrcuture to changes things that we had. Harry has done a fantasitc job, but we had good players and money available. At the moment I honestly don't think Villa have a single top quality player and it doesn't appear as if they have much to spend. Having said that, I don't think there is much quality below Liverpool in the Prem at the moment, so with some clever transfer market activity they could easily be back in the top 8 next season.

It's an interesting debate, however something to throw into the equation...

Since the start of the Prem

Something tells me it's only a matter of games before we drop a place in that league.

We are about 5 years behind Spurs now.

And that's 5 years that includes a lot good luck ... ie-> a new chairman and a decent manager.

Spurs pre Harry are where we are now. ... .

That's not really true though is it.

Pre-Harry Spurs under Jol finished 5th twice (missed 4th by a whisker) ... and even under Ramos we won the League Cup.

It is.

We finished comfortably above you in 07/08 and 08/09.

Redknapp appointment was a big plus though for Spurs, whatever you think about him he is a very good fit as their manager. And I think Levy is one of the best in the business, Faulkner and Randy are complete novices compared to him.

Spurs are comfortably ahead of us at the minute but things can change...who's to say they won't make a poor managerial call when Redknapp leaves?

What happens if Bale and Modric leave in the near future (unlikely if you finish 3rd granted). We've seen before when Berbatov and Keane left in summer 2008 replaced by Frazier Campbell and Dos Santos what can happen with a poor transfer policy.

What I would say though unless you're spectacularly badly run like Leeds and Liverpool were, being in the champions league every other season makes it difficult for a team to implode and slide out of the top 6.

For me Spurs will always be the biggest club in London, ahead of the tourist darlings Arsenal and the Johnny come lately Chelsea.

The difference between them and the Villa is location, location, location.

Oh, and they demand football all of the time. Spurs supporters wouldn't put up with an O'Neill or McLeish managing the playing side.

Interesting statement TT, I really don't see how Spurs can be classed as London's biggest tbh, Arsenal have that title comfortably.

They had David Pleat in charge not so long ago didn't they? I doubt the football was great then.

I

My point is that we are living in the past and Spurs sadly are a million miles away right now, Lerner's short term vision and spunking cash on half baked transfers and high wages has really cost us (blame MON as well as he still chose those players).

Under MON we were consistently better than Spurs so his signings were justified.

As for "living in the past" - who is saying that we're better than Spurs now? No-one.

Under MON we were consistently better than Spurs so his signings were justified.

I was at White Hart Lane ooh, 3 years ago, when we tore them apart all night, Ashley Young was brilliant, and at times we looked like Brazil. The scoreline flattered them, we won handsomely. Since then, we allowed the board to fall out with the man that had assembled that side and attracted those players and then sold those very good players. Spurs didn't. And that is why they are above us now.

I

My point is that we are living in the past and Spurs sadly are a million miles away right now, Lerner's short term vision and spunking cash on half baked transfers and high wages has really cost us (blame MON as well as he still chose those players).

As for "living in the past" - who is saying that we're better than Spurs now? No-one.

Apart from his last season, when it really mattered, when we were both going for 4th?

they made better investment in players:

Modric

Bale

VDV-8 Mill was a bargain

kaboul- better than all of our defenders

parker

sandro

walker

etc.

They signed better players, when MON was signing the likes of emile heskey and habib beye..dont get me wrong we made some good signings aswell, but we sold them, just like spurs sold Michael carrick and Berbatov to man u, the difference is they replaced them, and we did not replace the likes of Milner,laursen,young etc...

I had this same arguement with a Spuds fan about 10 years ago.We finally agreed after an hour that Spuds ACTED bigger than Villa and could attracgt more income.

On fan base, history, cups, international players, stadium, longevity, we were the bigger team.Up until about 3 years ago they could'nt beat us.I like Spuds, but how the mighty have fallen when we look up to Spuds.

Money talks,class walks! our history is far more illustrious than theirs but posters who say their location trumps us every time now are right. Have to say though I like their philosophy as stated in that banner you see around their stands.

"THE GAME IS ABOUT GLORY"

Unfortunately the game is more about money now and they trump us on that too.

Â