Elder Scrolls Online

Ingram85

The Elder Scrolls Online announcement, first preview, details and first trailer.

Looks like its a bit of a generic mmorpg with a mild element of elder scrolls thrown in for good measure. Seems that a lot of what makes the elder scrolls games what they are has been paired back a bit for it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-03-the-elder-scrolls-online-announced

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-the-elder-scrolls-online-preview-leaked-detailed

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/the-elder-scrolls-online-trailer-released

Not sure if this required its own topic so if anyone wants to make it feel free.

I can't think of any reason why this game needs to exist other than milking the brand. The reason why the Elder Scrolls games work is because they're single player.

To make things even worse it actually looks like a generic MMO. Here is an image from it:

GI-Elder-Scrolls-IGN-600x375.jpg

I could understand slightly if they were making an MMO with the same graphics engine used in Oblivion or Skyrim. Yet using a generic MMO style is just even more pointless...

But are they? One is hugely successful. The others use a generic template and the cost of maintaining an mmo with a lot of servers is incredibly financially demanding on a company. I.e, a report on Eurogamer not long ago revealed that it will take Lucasarts three years to make a profit a on Swtor, providing they keep a steady amount of subs. The costs of maintenance and constant development of new content, the advertising, licenses, etc, etc.

The genre is becoming increasingly stale, it's not evolving at a rate that I thought it would, probably because the financial risks of creating them are too huge. If this is a generic MMO, cashing in on a brand with a life span of 'people will play it for a few months until the novelty wears out', like Rift, Aion etc, then surely in the long term its severely harming the Elder Scrolls reputation. That would be a real shame.

• 8 months later...

I've signed up for the beta. I really want to like it, but I doubt I will.

I would absolutely LOVE multiplayer Skyrim, as in 2-4 player co-op, but when you have hundreds of people all running around being the dragonborn, and the village you just saved is still being attacked so ArthasLichKingDK123 can save it as well...It's just not the same.

Every time a new MMO comes along, I'm really excited, hoping for something that can hook me like WoW originally did, but it seems once you've played one MMO, you've played them all.

Being a Mac user, this will be my chance to play TES, even if it is a knock-off version of the "real thing".

Get Boot Camp and Skyrim, it's worth it.

Edited by Davkaus

Thanks for that, Ginko.

Being a Mac user, this will be my chance to play TES, even if it is a knock-off version of the "real thing".

Can't wait!

It'll be so different to a 'proper' Elder Scrolls game you may as well not bother if you want to get the Elder Scrolls experience.

Well, seeing as I've never played any ES games, I won't have anything to compare it to and be disappointed with...the things they're talking about look better than WoW, so what the hell.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been in there for a while now, though haven't really played much recently. It's really bad. Same old generic quests, kill 10 bats and then travel to x. Gameplay that is nothing at all like an Elder Scrolls game - the similarity ends at it being in first person. The devs have also admitted they ignore any part of the Elder Scrolls lore that is inconvenient to their plot for the MMO...It's hard to see who their audience is. It's a really bad MMO and not a proper Elder Scrolls game. Who wants this?

Wouldn't pay the box price for it, never mind the sub fee.

It'll be free to play within 6 months of release.

Â