General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I am really hoping that they have seen what Liverpool have done and taken that as an excuse to one up them big time and employ a name like AVB who I am sure Liverpool looked at and failed to entice.

If they wanted lambert they would have had him by now in my opinion.

Really hope i am proved wrong on lambert but i can`t see the logic in leaving it this long.

Norwich would fight tooth & nail to keep Lambert,maybe they have finally realised that he wants to talk to us but have been trying to prevent him from doing so.

Beginning to think that a few of you OGS nutcases were right, he was our first choice, when he pulled out they had to go back to the drawing board.

Looks like they are still standing at the drawing board with the felt tip firmly up their arses.

What is clear now is that whoever is appointed will signal the intention for the future, well from Lerner's perspective I mean.

Seems it is not Martinez after all, I think he is going to have a hard time with his motivation next year at Wigan..

Lambert? Would be happy with him. He would settle in fast and never leave Brum/England because of his longing for the sun like every southern player. He can potentially build a heritage similar to Moyes, although he will probably be fired after three seasons like everyone else ;)

Then we have AVB and Benitez, and then we know Lerner has decided to spend some cash again!

If we somehow managed to get AVB then I would do the biggest man wee ever. It simply won't happen I'm afraid.

There are plenty of other good options that have been mentioned previously though.

AVB - Jesus, have a day off people. Why on earth would he come to Villa?

If he wants to stay in England it's the biggest job available. I don't get the impression he is bothered about staying though. Rafa on the other hand...

Again:

@BenSmithBBC: Martinez is a fantastic young coach. But with both #LFC and #AVFC going with other options, his choices were limited.

Martinez is one of the most overrated managers around! People just buy into the end of season antics. Noone says hes good when his team is in the relegation zone for 3/4 of the season,so im glad hes staying put.

I hope that tweet is true that we have gone with another option because if its false info then i think we are running out of options.

I'm not sure you realise how small a club Wigan are. There are bigger clubs, with bigger fan bases currently playing in League 2. It is Wigan, it's not a footballing place to sustain their status in one of the best leagues in the world is a tough job, for anyone.

Martinez IS a good young coach; he has the right temperament and tactical insight and will improve. Most summers Wigan have their top players taken from them or their loans return to their parent clubs, each summer is a huge rebuilding process for them, this goes to explain why they pick up over the course of a season.

I think Martinez deserves huge praise for sticking with a philosophy, it could be so easy for any manager to play it safe, stick to a rigid 4-4-2 and scrap their way out of battles. Martinez has proven that he has the character and belief to go with a modern 3-4-3, get his players training hard to adapt to it and then get it working and beating the likes of Man.Utd, Arsenal and whoever else they beat in their superb end of season form.

I don't know what some people expect of him.

I do realise how small of a club wigan are. But i dont really agree with your point about his philosophy, You saying about getting his players working and beating Man utd, Arsenal in their superb end of season form sums up my point exactly. Its all about his end of season form, his team are awful for nearly the whole season every season. so his philosophy and getting his team working hard are not exactly superb for the most part when there in the bottom 3 for a huge chunk of the season are they?

For what ever reasons, one i've already highlighted, due to the fact that there are a lot of in and outs in during Wigan's summer, it takes time to get a squad playing a particular way; it doesn't happen overnight. It makes sense to me that Wigan improve over the course of a season because the new players adapt.

Can you really not see that the guy has potential? This is what it's about, we want a young, hungry manager who can grow here. No ones saying he's Jose Mourinho, he's a 38 year old bloke, who has proven to mix up tactics, not be scared to change things and get his club of largely average players competing against some of the world's best teams and beating them. They finished five points ahead of us last season. It's remarkable.

You're perfectly entitled to think he's overrated. I just don't understand why you think he is. Anyway, he's not coming here, so it's pretty pointless.

AVB - Jesus, have a day off people. Why on earth would he come to Villa?
I will have a day off... to celebrate the appointment of AVB!!! Wooohooo! Only joking... Maybe... :)

This is like last season when people actually wasted their money betting on Carlo Ancelotti. Then when we come down off our drugs, we realised the state we are in and recruited Alex Mcleish.