General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Being realistic, what type of money would Villa have to offer Lambert or Martinez to rebuild the squad before they even considered coming? I think it would have to be up near 35-40mill.

Not that i am on for Martinez. Flavour of the month... Wigan were bottom of the league for 7 months of the season

I think any manager looking at our squad would need similar. I mean Mcleish spent 20M last year, not that you'd realise it given some of the rubbish he acquired.

We need 5 players of reasonable quality and 2 back ups I would guess. How much for reasonable quality ? 6 or 7 MILL? Thats 32.5M right there, then the back ups at 3M each you are looking at 38-39M if you want to set the squad straight and avoid the pressure of relegation, in my opinion obviously

Yeah i would agree with that. Are they going to get that type of money? Personally I would think not. Thus leaving us to go for a manager who is looking to make a name for himself in prem league or a Journey Man. Gus Poyet and Alan Curbishley spring to mind. The latters odds coming in as i speak.

At least the RDM rumours have died down. A little tiny ray of sunshine for us.

Indeed. A manager overlooked for the Sheffield United job a year or so ago and only turned Chelsea around because he allowed Lampard and Terry to run the team again. We don't need more of the McLeish brand of 'liquid' football here again.

I have been watching from afar as the mighty villa have hit the self-destruct button over the last 12 months. Now at a job where I am able to get VT at work so time to take the plunge.

Firstly I do think that Randy and co have learnt some lessons from last years debacle, the speed with which McHoof was given his P45 is a good start. So whilst OGS would have been a great appointment, I don’t ever think that it was more than the board have told us, they had a chat. I am of the opinion that OGS was Plan B, but the fans reaction pushed him right into the frame for the post. All the speculation then started and when Moldes’ owner then decided to throw his toys out the pram, I think that Ole, knowing he was not the first choice, decided that it was best to repair bridges and for his family sake to put an end to what I think will be end up being another week or twos’ worth of speculation, before Aston Villa ended up appointing another manager anyway.

My personal opinion is that Martinez was the man the board wanted, however Liverplop have waded into the Randy plan in their shiny shell suits.

I actually think that Martinez would not be a bad shout. I understand all the people who think that he is a ¼ season wonder, but he has consistently kept Wigan in the Prem whilst having to reshape his team every year. Everyone here accepts that it will take time, i.e. more than one season to shape our team / squad back to where it should be, and I think that you need to take that into account with Wigan. They sell their best players every summer, and so he has to rebuild the team every year. Couple that to the fact that he is having to shop in Aldi for players (not saying were not at the moment either) and I think it will always take a little longer to get this level of player playing the way he likes? That type of football needs practice, as its reliant on teammates understanding where they need to be in relation to each other and the ball. Ignoring the PR disaster that was GED, he was trying to get us to play on the deck and our season under him had an eerie similarity with the way Wigans’ seasons end up playing out, it took half to ¾ of the season before the players got what was being asked of them.

That’s the short term beauty of MON type football, it takes a load less skill and training to get it right and hence the managers that are good at motivation will get better results quicker with the direct type football. But and here is the BIG but, direct football has a ceiling these days, as we found out with MON. If you play it with good players you may win stuff from time to time, as per Chelski last weekend, but it wont win you stuff regularly any more.

As for what Randy is going to do now, that’s the million $$$$ question. I think there has to be major doubt over Martinez; we should not have to wait to see if Liverplop take him (not that they will) if he wants to come here he should say so. He would be mental to take the Liverpool job if offered in my opinion anyway, the fans still want King Kenny and as soon as they loose two on the bounce they will crucify him. Randys plan B has gone, so I can only hope he had a Plan C. Step forward Mad Mick??

To be fair I wouldn't mind Martinez either and would be fairly happy with him at Villa park, atleast we'd see some fairly decent footie.

I think Klinsmann may yet have a part to play really. He has been in the background ever since Lerner got here
he's my dark horse in all of this..
Taken from the OGS thread:

Klinsmann has a job. California is his home and he has the only job outside of MLS that allows him to stay there. He's not going to abandon the USA job right at the start of 2014 qualifying.

Being realistic, what type of money would Villa have to offer Lambert or Martinez to rebuild the squad before they even considered coming? I think it would have to be up near 35-40mill.

Not that i am on for Martinez. Flavour of the month... Wigan were bottom of the league for 7 months of the season

I think any manager looking at our squad would need similar. I mean Mcleish spent 20M last year, not that you'd realise it given some of the rubbish he acquired.

We need 5 players of reasonable quality and 2 back ups I would guess. How much for reasonable quality ? 6 or 7 MILL? Thats 32.5M right there, then the back ups at 3M each you are looking at 38-39M if you want to set the squad straight and avoid the pressure of relegation, in my opinion obviously

Yeah i would agree with that. Are they going to get that type of money? Personally I would think not. Thus leaving us to go for a manager who is looking to make a name for himself in prem league or a Journey Man. Gus Poyet and Alan Curbishley spring to mind. The latters odds coming in as i speak.

Agree with all that. I think if we get a very good manager and they're backed with £40m + proceeds from transfers out, then we'd be up there challenging the top half. Either crap manager, or no money, or God forbid, both and we'll be in trouble.

Even OGS said Villa were speaking to other candidates. If that is true then you have to assume that Martinez cannot be that high on the list of priorities, else we would know about it from honest Dave Whelan. The word removed.

One of our biggest problems is the whole image of the west midlands which is piss poor

Credit to Manchester and Liverpool some how they have dragged their ghetto images out of focus and spun a vibrant dynamic spin on their geography

When in reality it's not, walk 500m in any direction of the Etihad & you're into a shit heap as bad if not worse than Aston / witton / nechelles / lozelles

**** hell, I agree with CI twice in one day! :lol:

Birmingham has always struggled with an identity compared to Manchester and Liverpool. The nightlife, bands and football teams all go to shaping an image of a city.

Birmingham and the Midlands in general, has always had a problem with self promotion, and this rubs off on the club too.

Led Zepplin are always touted as a London band, despite Robert Plant being from the Midlands and John Bonham being a proper Brummie.

No **** outside Brum new OCS were from here - assuming another Manchester band - despite their album being called The Moseley Shoals.

Can't escape bloody celeb West Ham or Man U fans, but ask anyone about a famous Villa fan and they'll be scratching their heads.

Birmingham used to have some awesome clubs, with people travelling into the city for God's Kitchen, Babooshka, Moneypennies in their prime... Now we have Chris Herd's fav, Gatecrasher - the embers from Sheffield's finest. Even that place had the Full Monty.

Newcastle with Goal and Billy Elliot. Can you imagine a Birmingham based film?

Anyway, I believe Brum is seen as boring and so are Villa, to the rest ofnthe country. There's a point in there somewhere.....

Famous Villa fans - Our current prime minister rings a bell. Alongside Tom Hanks (jokingly nonetheless). Prince William etc... :3 We have our fair share :P

Indeed. A manager overlooked for the Sheffield United job a year or so ago and only turned Chelsea around because he allowed Lampard and Terry to run the team again. We don't need more of the McLeish brand of 'liquid' football here again.

Thing is there are no rumours out there today really. They're either playing a blinder a la the Darren Bent signing, or are a little bit stuck.

I concur it would highly unlikely Klinsman would up-sticks and leave for here half-way through his USA project.

I think we should at least sound-out AVB. His men are looking for a "long term technical project" which is erm exactly what were after. If you don't ask you don't get.

Klinsmann?

I really don't think he would ever adopt a real passion for Aston Villa. And move from Florida or wherever to Birmingham? If he did well, he would be off to another club within a summer. That would not happen to a person like Martinez I think. He would try to make the club his own, like he does at Wigan where he cannot do anymore with his the tools and ambition available.

We all know managers stay at our club 1-3 years, that is the normal thing, but we all hope that we could get a guy here for 10 years.

Thing is there are no rumours out there today really. They're either playing a blinder a la the Darren Bent signing, or are a little bit stuck.

Seems to be that way. We never had a sniff of the Bent signing until he put in a transfer request at Sunderland. Unfortunately that was the last time there was any sort of feel good factor around the club, and even that didn't last for long. Maybe the club have got a really good exciting appointment lined up? We can but hope I guess.

Or as you say, they could just be stuck.

Famous Villa fans - Our current prime minister rings a bell. Alongside Tom Hanks (jokingly nonetheless). Prince William etc... :3 We have our fair share :P

We do indeed, in fact Amy Winehouse often got clocked with Villa earrings on, but ask anyone outside of the area about anything related to Villa or Birmingham in general and they're often left guzumped.

We don't know how to promote the area, therefore it's not seen as cool like Newcastle, Manchester or even Liverpool, and a million mile from London.

We lack identity, and the same can be said about our team.

Someone on betfair is definitely liking McAllister. He was trading way down the ladder earlier but as been matched as low as 10's this evening. Expierience tells me they may be something in this unless someone has been given duff info.

10.00 £28

10.50 £33

11.00 £8 £20

12.00 £5 £61

13.50 £14 £4

14.00 £2 £9

15.00 £28 £32

15.50 £5 £22

16.00 £7 £34

16.50 £5

17.00 £5 £10

17.50 £6

18.00 £24

19.00 £20

20.00 £242

22.00 £110

25.00 £20

26.00 £4

27.00 £11

28.00 £4

30.00 £4

40.00 £2

42.00 £10

44.00 £6

50.00 £5 £10

110.00 £10

150.00 £6

180.00 £8

210.00 £70

220.00 £46

One of our biggest problems is the whole image of the west midlands which is piss poor

Credit to Manchester and Liverpool some how they have dragged their ghetto images out of focus and spun a vibrant dynamic spin on their geography

When in reality it's not, walk 500m in any direction of the Etihad & you're into a shit heap as bad if not worse than Aston / witton / nechelles / lozelles

**** hell, I agree with CI twice in one day! :lol:

Birmingham has always struggled with an identity compared to Manchester and Liverpool. The nightlife, bands and football teams all go to shaping an image of a city.

Birmingham and the Midlands in general, has always had a problem with self promotion, and this rubs off on the club too.

Led Zepplin are always touted as a London band, despite Robert Plant being from the Midlands and John Bonham being a proper Brummie.

No **** outside Brum new OCS were from here - assuming another Manchester band - despite their album being called The Moseley Shoals.

Can't escape bloody celeb West Ham or Man U fans, but ask anyone about a famous Villa fan and they'll be scratching their heads.

Birmingham used to have some awesome clubs, with people travelling into the city for God's Kitchen, Babooshka, Moneypennies in their prime... Now we have Chris Herd's fav, Gatecrasher - the embers from Sheffield's finest. Even that place had the Full Monty.

Newcastle with Goal and Billy Elliot. Can you imagine a Birmingham based film?

Anyway, I believe Brum is seen as boring and so are Villa, to the rest ofnthe country. There's a point in there somewhere.....

Yes big Dave Cameron was raised on the Villa, his Uncle led us through our glory days 30 years ago!!

Seems to be that way. We never had a sniff of the Bent signing until he put in a transfer request at Sunderland. Unfortunately that was the last time there was any sort of feel good factor around the club, and even that didn't last for long. Maybe the club have got a really good exciting appointment lined up? We can but hope I guess.

Or as you say, they could just be stuck.

Mantis, I've got my optimist hat on again. I really wanted OGS and I think he was there for the taking if we really wanted him. I'm going to assume that this means there must be others lined up, and with the usual suspects like Martinez, Lambert, even Grayson, there would more chatter around. Whether it's getting overlooked in the case of the first two because of the Liverpool job is hard to say, but I think there would be more soundbites and ITK's from other club forums.

This leads me to think either an unattached manager or an overseas appointment (or both).

Could be Randy has thrown a shit load of cash at Everton that the deal makes sense for them to be tight lipped too (unlikely).

Or they could be **** once more