General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Hoddle MM?? Really? When was his last job?

Interested what the love in with AVB is? I know he had success at Porto but would be interested to know why people think so highly of him.

As for the Blind Date reference, let's hope it's not Cilla...

If we are to believe that RM representatives haven't been approched then its going to make very interesting who the people they have interviewed behind closed doors .

I'd opened the thread to say something very similar to this, and then the Lambert thing popped up on SSN.

The reason why I think the board is going for abroad and someone surprising is actually that they went for OGS at least as Plan B or C, I don't think they would never go for him unless someone very knowledgeable told them to. Knowing that OGS is possible manager for the future takes some serious knowledge about football and managers.

Also the snippets from MysteryMan that board knows why the fans are upset and disappointed also hints that they might have learned from the mistakes.

His rolling contract at Norwich was only up today, we'd still have needed Norwich's permission to talk to him, which would have opened up media speculation, etc.. after what happened with OGS I imagine they were trying to do this as under-the-radar as possible.

This is all starting to feel like last summer and look how that ended.

This season's little shock from Randy?

Maybe...the return of MON :lol:

Seriously, in my view Lambert is the only credible candidate now. My initial list would have been 1. Rodgers 2. Lambert... then a big gulf to some much more doubtful options... I guess it would be 3. Poyet, 4. Martinez, 5. RDM, 6. Rafa. Hadn't even thought of Vilas-Boas and I'm trying not to now. His only essay into the premier league was so disastrous, it would be a massive risk, particularly since we have many ofthe same problems as Chelsea - aging squad poorly motivated, remote owner looking to pare back investment. I'm afraid AVB just failed massively to manage all these elements. The best you could hope for is that he has learnt from his experience and would handle himself better but it's quite a punt.

I really hope it's Lambert . Maybe Poyet as 2nd choice. Not Rafa - I fear it would be Houllier all over again. RDM would be OK but would not the most inspiring.

After two seasons in which, for whatever reasons, the squad MON built up has been torn apart (although if you still want to see it, it s midfield plays for England) we really need someone with the same clarity of vision and purpose who can build his own team with a clear view of how they will play winning football.

Would prefer Lambert MM

To be honest yes when we were at Norwich outside the boozer and everyone singing Lamberts name still said I would prefer Hoddle but accept it wouldn't be popular .

My biggest fear about PL is we get MON Mark 2 but if its him I will get right behind the appointment .

Pete Colley ‏@petecolley

Its been difficult with so many clubs having vacancies to get to the truth but RM was interested! PL however is Villa's No 1 candidate!

Love the way people come out all ITK after the event

As if they knew all along

Sorry for the hysteria. Trying to figure out how journos know that there will be an approach within 24 hours. What does that mean? Villa said to reporters, "hey you know what? Quite like that Lambert chap. Think we may ask permission to talk with him..."?

Surely there's nothing to report until they actually HAVE made an approach, not about to?

If we are to believe that RM representatives haven't been approched then its going to make very interesting who the people they have interviewed behind closed doors .

If it's not Lambert then I still think there is an outstanding candidate for me and its Glen Hoddle .

I know he wouldn't be universally popular and wasn't great at Wolves but Rogers wasn't great at Reading . Hoddle all day for me

MM - have you been sat in the pub since early afternoon?

.... Hoddle?? Really??

Have we definitely interviewed behind closed doors though? Any hunches who might have been involved there?