General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

RDM woukd be OK. Turned around Chelsea's failing season & won them the FA Cup & the CL?

Hmmm. Should be good enough even for the "mighty" Villa. :winkold:

Sums it up really, the state we are in we would be lucky to get a manager who has just won the european cup.

But some would rather put a bunch of conjecture on it to criticise what he achieved for some reason. All the more confusing considering the hysteria over solskjaer, a guy who has done nothing in management.

Really don`t understand what di matteo has done wrong to turn people against him.

Its the boring factor if you ask me.

FWIW I totally agree with you but..

RDM, RM, Rafa, PL, KMac etc (albeit some ppl want some of them) - are boring because we are aware of them. There obvious. OGS on the other hand, is totally different so is quite exciting.

The thought that some people (including me) are turning their nose up at two european cup winners, is, when you think about it, ridiculous given the size/state of the club.

And those that scrutinise the way RDM won it - probably dont give it two thoughts that our 1982 win was one of the flukiest in european history.

Errr, there was absolutely nothing flukey about our European Cup win in 82. Villa were already League Champions and became European Super Cup winners not long afterwards. Was that all a fluke?

I see the rumors are doing the rounds again this morning regarding Raffa and the Villa job. Into favourite, not sure if that’s because of the rumors or if someone is ITK. I haven’t seen anything to give me hope, anyone else?

When I say hope, if he comes we have a war chest!

Well he's now the favourite in many places, second favourite in others. The strange thing about all this is that before his odds started to fall yesterday there were absolutely no rumours or whispers of Benitez to Villa at all. Why would the odds just drop like that? He was way out in the 20s yesterday.

I will throw another very good and relatively young and achievable manager into the hat:

Pavel Vrba ( 48 ), FK Viktorie Plzen, Czech Republic

- direct attacking style of football

- voted best Czech coach of 2010 and 2011 too

- winner of the Czech league 2010/2011 with very mediocre team beating both famous Sparta and Slavia Prague

- did very well in this year's CL, gaining 5 points in the group stage and continued into Europa League with almost uknown team

- finished third this year just one point behind Sparta and three behind champions

- winner of the Slovak league with Zilina 2006/2007

He had to turn down an offer to be Slovak National Team Manager few months ago - the offer was about 33 000 EUR p/m, but the power of Aston Villa is far more higher and I do not expect he would turn the potential offer down.

RDM woukd be OK. Turned around Chelsea's failing season & won them the FA Cup & the CL?

Hmmm. Should be good enough even for the "mighty" Villa. :winkold:

Sums it up really, the state we are in we would be lucky to get a manager who has just won the european cup.

But some would rather put a bunch of conjecture on it to criticise what he achieved for some reason. All the more confusing considering the hysteria over solskjaer, a guy who has done nothing in management.

Really don`t understand what di matteo has done wrong to turn people against him.

Its the boring factor if you ask me.

FWIW I totally agree with you but..

RDM, RM, Rafa, PL, KMac etc (albeit some ppl want some of them) - are boring because we are aware of them. There obvious. OGS on the other hand, is totally different so is quite exciting.

The thought that some people (including me) are turning their nose up at two european cup winners, is, when you think about it, ridiculous given the size/state of the club.

And those that scrutinise the way RDM won it - probably dont give it two thoughts that our 1982 win was one of the flukiest in european history.

Question, have you ever seen the entire match of our European cup win???

The highlights show nothing but Bayern attacks on our goal which in fairness they had more of than we did plus those highlights highlighted Spinks heroics and he did in his own way win that game for us.

But if you watch the match Villa had just as much of the play especially in the first half as Bayern did, we by no means 'parked the bus' Rummenneger (sp?) was on fire and defensively we deserved the win and with THE BEST MOVE OF THE MATCH deserved to win it offensively.

I see the rumors are doing the rounds again this morning regarding Raffa and the Villa job. Into favourite, not sure if that’s because of the rumors or if someone is ITK. I haven’t seen anything to give me hope, anyone else?

Well he's now the favourite in many places, second favourite in others. The strange thing about all this is that before his odds started to fall yesterday there were absolutely no rumours or whispers of Benitez to Villa at all. Why would the odds just drop like that? He was way out in the 20s yesterday.

Perhaps we spoke to his agent and someone from his side of things got wind of it, leaking it to a few mates? It doesn't take much to get the market moving.

It is impossible to know who we have spoken to but YankeeinMadrid, who is mates with Cuellar, did say Benitez was on our radar.

I think the antipathy towards Di Matteo stems from the fact that his achievements have been based more on unifying a discontented and under-achieveing squad rather than instilling a football philosophy and style of play. That's not to denigrate what he has done. He deserves a huge amount of credit for having managed to do that and win the ultimate prize to boot. He could do well at Villa, who knows? But the set of circumstances and the requirements are totally different to those he found at Chelsea. Basically, by pandering to the egos of the likes of Terry, Lampard and Drogba he got them to play to the best of their abilities again but that doesn't mean that AVB had incorrectly assessed what was required at Chelsea, he just went about it in the wrong fashion.

My choice for the Villa job would be Bielsa. He has done a truly incredible job at Athletic. He managed to instill a style of play that blended the passing game of Barça with a high tempo verve more reminiscent of the Premiership in matter of a few months. This was, of course, achieved without being able to go out and make wholesale changes to the team by signing new players due to the restriction of only being able to play Basque born players. they have been a joy to watch this season.

He may not fit the bill as a young energetic coach, but who cares?

Bielsa wouldn't certainly fit the bill as an exciting choice but isn't going to happen.

Balague has already discussed how Bielsa wont work in a non spanish speaking country because most of his method is based on meticulous communication with his players

KKFootball‏@KKFootball1

Hearing that Rafa Benitez has been approached, doesn't fit the criteria though so I'm not entirely convinced. #avfc

This guy was claming it yesterday morning when Rafa was at 30's. Can't find any more links to Rafa though.

VillaMat tweeted that he had rumours about FSW before odds started dropping. He said nothing concrete but will be digging.... another Talksport rumour?

Perhaps we spoke to his agent and someone from his side of things got wind of it, leaking it to a few mates? It doesn't take much to get the market moving.

It is impossible to know who we have spoken to but YankeeinMadrid, who is mates with Cuellar, did say Benitez was on our radar.

Or perhaps, because Martinez is speaking to liverplop, Benitez's odds for that lengthen and those betting move their money to Benitez for Villa

a wannabe ITK on twitter mentioned he had been approached (KKfootball or something?) not that i really bought into it but at 25/1 i considered it worth a tenner anyway

VillaMat tweeted that he had rumours about FSW before odds started dropping. He said nothing concrete but will be digging.... another Talksport rumour?

That was after the odds started to drop I think.

His trackrecord in WBA and the fact that he uses SHIT NEGATIVE tactics.

Oh do me a favour. Maybe he should have played a 2-5-2 with 10 men and cech as sweeper, or instead pre-emptively throw the game and capitulate to a team that would quite obviously have beaten them with 11 men, let alone 10, if they hadn't 'parked the bus' as some so eloquently point out.

If you enjoy watching your incessant sideways and often backwards tiki-taka predominantly used in their own half, with very little penetration in the opposing, then that's your right but don't try and make out it's the only way to win a football match without being 'negative'.

I don't want RDM as manager mainly due to his spell at WBA, managing similar quality players as he will have to with us, but trying to discredit his and his team's double this year by the fashion with which they were attained, is utter ignorance.

Surely the odds drop can't be just down to a couple of ITK's?
Doubt it. Yesterday morning/lunchtime the talk was very much around Poyet, yet his odds never really shifted that much, yet Benitez's odds plummeted with virtually no talk at all?

Very strange.

Surely the odds drop can't be just down to a couple of ITK's?

Yeah I think it can be.

Bookmakers are pretty exposed with these kinds of bets because there are people out there who know for sure what the result will be, hence why they limit the amout you can bet at one time.

If just a few decent sized bets get put on at the same time they will assume someone knows something and drop the odds suddenly.

His trackrecord in WBA and the fact that he uses SHIT NEGATIVE tactics.

Oh do me a favour. Maybe he should have played a 2-5-2 with 10 men and cech as sweeper, or instead pre-emptively throw the game and capitulate to a team that would quite obviously have beaten them with 11 men, let alone 10, if they hadn't 'parked the bus' as some so eloquently point out.

If you enjoy watching your incessant sideways and often backwards tiki-taka predominantly used in their own half, with very little penetration in the opposing, then that's your right but don't try and make out it's the only way to win a football match without being 'negative'.

I don't want RDM as manager mainly due to his spell at WBA, managing similar quality players as he will have to with us, but trying to discredit his and his team's double this year by the fashion with which they were attained, is utter ignorance.

APPLAUSE - a man speaking sense............

I wished we had a manager who could fluke our way to a cup double !!!

All this "style of play" requirments are **** bollox anyway...... the only good football is winning football IMO........ winning comes first.......

We cant discredit Di Matteos trophy haul this year, if we do that we can discredit our Euro Cup win in '82..... because we also effectively "parked the bus" and were lucky that Spinksy pulled off a few saves !!

I really wouldn't pay too much attention to the odds if any at all. Last few days we have had Graysons and Gary Macs odds suddenly fall and now Benetiz. There is **** all in it. It takes very little money to make odds drop quite dramatically in this kind of market.

A handful of people will know who we are after and its highly unlikely any of them are posting the info on twitter/message boards. Treat any rumour with a pinch of salt and show the drop in odds on a certain candidate even less attention.

This will all play out in the next couple of weeks. I can't say I'm confident given the previous form of Lerner/Faulkner that we will get the managerial appointment this club needs to go forward but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.