Douglas (FC Twente)

Villan4Life

mirror

Aston Villa are setting up the £7million recruitment of giant Brazilian centre half Douglas from FC Twente.

Douglas plays for Steve McClaren’s Dutch club and, thanks to his marriage to a local Dutch girl, holds an EU passport.

He has just got Dutch citizenship and could play for Holland at the end of August.

Newcastle have had a £5m bid turned down.

Its looking increasing likely our manager will be leaving in the summer so any speculation should (more than ever) be taken with a pinch of salt.

Surely our board would not sanction deals without a manager in place.. cough 'Ireland..

Douglas is a very good defender, would love to sign him, but with the McLeish situation, may be complicated. Sounds like we have done a fair bit of scouting this season, so hopefully that doesn't go to waste if a new manager comes in and the scouting notes are passed on to the new gaffer.

We seem to be linked with a lot of players in the Netherlands, could be to do with the fact the Arthur Numan is scouting for us now. He is also still involved with Holland's international coaching in some way, I believe.

Apparently Douglas is trying to get Dutch citizenship, so he can play internationally.

And if those scouting notes are anything like the ones that landed us the likes of Jenas and Hutton the new manager would be wise to put them straight in the bin and sack the scouts.

amen to that

i came to the conclusion a long time ago that we mustn't actually have any scouts....

our managers just watch MOTD and think "mmm yeh i could buy him i suppose"

Very disappointing if true as it signals a stay of execution for Mcleish

Disappointing yes, but if this cloud has any kind of silver lining it's that if he does stay and this is the quality of player he is after then I'm impressed.

• 3 months later...

mail

the sun

NEWCASTLE have bid £4million for FC Twente’s centre-back Douglas Texeira.

Toon have been tracking the Brazilian since last season and have offered him £40,000 a week.

The 6ft 3in defender, who has just one year left on his contract, has also been linked with Aston Villa.

But he is tempted to stay put and go for free in 12 months.

Texeira qualifies for a Dutch passport that allows him to play anywhere in the EU from September 1.

Â