Champions League Final: Bayern Munich vs Chelsea

maqroll

Who Will Win The Champions League Final?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win The Champions League Final?

• Bayern Munich
    • Chelsea

It would be a shame if spurs or newcastle were denied a CL place due to CHelsea spawning their way through a few cup matches.

It really, really wouldn't be a shame.

In fact, that's by far the biggest positive I can see of Chelsea winning

Disagree. Even if it hinders us from a selfish point of view, I think longer term it's better for the league in general the more other teams get into the champions league, and the longer clubs like liverpool and chelsea are kept out the better. It's the only way to break up the monopoly by other sides getting in. Sure they'll get stronger as a result but the league becomes more competitive that way, with more sides genuinely able to to challenge to get in, the more points will be taken off of each other.

I don't care much for either club for various reasons ( Spurs: Redknapp; Newcastle: the fanbase ) but good luck to them I say.

It is a UEFA rule to enable the holders to defend their trophy.

Nothing to do with football being bent in this country.

Sorry, i should have said Europe

:winkold:

Well no I don't think bent is the right word. The current Champions League setup doesn't make sense. There should be a place for the previous champion of any competition within that competition and also for anyone who qualifies from their domestic league.

That's what happened in all of the old European club competitions and it is also what still happens in the current Europa League. It has always been that way. The Champion never took the place of anyone else who had qualified. It's how Notts Forest won their 2nd European Cup. And yet now the CL does it differently. It's not Liverpool's fault either. They instigated a change that shouldn't have needed to be made. In fact the year Liverpool were accommodated - at no expense to anyone else - proves that it can be done without cruelly denying someone entry.

If I could make 2 changes to the CL it would be that the Champion gets in at no expense to anyone else if the need arises. And that also the winner of the Europa League gains entry to the following year's Champions League. That way the EL would be taken far far more seriously and so would the race for the European places with domestic leagues and cups. Making the EL more relevant by having that carrot at the end of it would make every cup and league position much more competitively fought over.

I want Bayern to win as I want Newcastle or Spurs to get into the Champions League next season.

Normally I support the English team though.

I want Bayern to win as I want Newcastle or Spurs to get into the Champions League next season.

I'm sorry, but I find this very odd. Yeah I can understand people wanting Bayern to win, but you? You're always harping on about England this and England that yet you want the English team to lose? :lol:

I'm sorry, but I find this very odd. Yeah I can understand people wanting Bayern to win, but you? You're always harping on about England this and England that yet you want the English team to lose? :lol:

Yeah like I said, normally I would want Chelsea to win.

But I would prefer Newcastle or Spurs to get into the Champions League rather than Chelsea.

http://yhoo.it/JQIsxd

Nine millon reasons for Bayern to lose final

Bayern Munich are preparing to face Chelsea in the final of the Champions League in the painful knowledge that victory would offer an enormous financial boost to two of their biggest rivals.

UEFA will pay the Bavarian giants 9 million euros prize money if they win the final, which is being played at Bayern's home ground on May 19. But the German side would then immediately owe every penny of that bonus cash to Schalke and Hoffenheim.

When Schalke sold Germany international goalkeeper Manuel Neuer to Bayern last summer, they inserted a cheeky "on-pitch success" clause which entitled them to massive cash bonuses based on how well the goalie's new club did. Schalke are already due 2 million for Bayern having reached the semi-finals, but they will be due a further 4 million from the Bavarian giants if they lift the trophy in two weeks' time.

And it doesn't stop there. Hoffenheim struck a smaller but otherwise almost identical deal with Bayern after they sold Luiz Gustavo for 17 million euros in January 2011. Hoffenheim have already picked up a 1 million euro bonus for the Munich side making the semi-finals, and they'll be due another 2 million if their rivals win the trophy.

That means that Bayern's entire 9 million prize money would be wiped out at a stroke - and also means that, financially speaking, they'd be better off pocketing the 5.6 million euros offered to the runner-up.

Will that stop them trying to beat Chelsea? Certainly not, but suffice to say that there are 9 million reasons why the overly-pessimistic lawyer who allowed these clauses through might soon be clearing his desk in the back rooms of the Allianz Arena.

whoops :lol:

Interesting article, but they would rather have the trophy and winning the trophy would enable them to earn more than €9m via other channels.

But Newcastle is a small town in Scotland!

I'd rather it not be an issue on any level, but Rev is right. The prestige and it's intangible benefits are far more important to a club like Bayern than the money is. But I don't like there being any reason in the slightest for Chelsea to be getting any advantage, perceived or otherwise.

It's a nice silver lining if they lose I guess. For the accountants at the club at least, the playing staff wont give a ****.

The article is annoying in how it implies that the clauses inserted into those players contracts are somehow a new thing too. It's been standard practice since the year dot that fees have add ons, they are typically if the club wins something, if the player signs a contract extension, if he wins x number of international caps (etc) I mean just look at our £18m/£24m signing of Darren Bent.

• 3 weeks later...

There are lots of Bayern fans here in Kitzbuhel (Munich less than 2 hours away) many are the "glory hunting" type and i've seen at least 10 shirts already today ! The local pub will be rammed with them today ......

i also don't want Chelsea to join our elite club , that said the Plastich Fans will be equally annoying .....

Either way i will be wearing the 82 winners top as a little reminder to those Munich fans why they will be starting the game with 4 stars on their shirt ... not 5 :)

It's a nice silver lining if they lose I guess. For the accountants at the club at least, the playing staff wont give a ****.

The article is annoying in how it implies that the clauses inserted into those players contracts are somehow a new thing too. It's been standard practice since the year dot that fees have add ons, they are typically if the club wins something, if the player signs a contract extension, if he wins x number of international caps (etc) I mean just look at our £18m/£24m signing of Darren Bent.

Yes, sadly, I think that's very likely to stay at £18m for the foreseeable :lol:

**** Chelsea. I like the fact we are one of only 4 English clubs to have won the biggest trophy there is and the fact that no London club has ever won it. In fact I love that fact. Bayern to win 3-1.

Â