Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

The Scot resigned following a furious bust-up after the club refused to give Aston Villa permission to talk to him.

Lambert will walk into the vacant Villa job, with owner Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner identifying him as their No 1 choice yesterday.

The raging boss wanted out once it became clear the Canaries were digging their heels in, adamant they would not even let him hear what Villa had to offer.

It resulted in a bitter end to Lambo’s three-year love affair with the Carrow Road club, who he took from League One obscurity to 12th place in the Premier League following successive promotions.

It is the second time in 18 months that Norwich, backed by TV cook Delia Smith, have refused to give their manager permission to speak to a rival club.

In January 2011, they turned down Burnley’s request to approach Lambert following the dismissal of Brian Laws.

A Canaries statement at the time said: “The club will fight tooth and nail to retain the services of Paul Lambert and his team during this critical period of the season and whilst they remain employed under a long-term contract.”

They tried the same tactic yesterday but it blew up in their face — days after Lambert, 42, declared he was going nowhere.

That clears the way for him to succeed Alex McLeish, who Lambo played under at Motherwell.

SunSport can reveal Villa identified the former Borussia Dortmund midfielder as the steely character required to shake up the Midlanders before Roberto Martinez declared he was staying at Wigan.

Lerner feels Lambert is the young, aggressive and ambitious boss Villa need after two miserable years.

Norwich now face a summer sweat to bring in a new manager.

Former Canaries skipper Malky Mackay will be a contender.

He took Cardiff to the Carling Cup final, where they lost to Liverpool on penalties, as well as the Championship play-offs last season.

Chris Hughton is also in the frame.

West Brom are not keen to cough up around £2.5million for the Birmingham man’s services.

But that figure would not worry Norwich who expect to receive some compensation from Villa when Lambert is officially installed as boss.

Thats the Sun article

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great appointment, he was my favourite for the job when the Ginger was sacked, I did want OGS when I thought about the possibilities. This is the safe option, he plays good football and signs the right players who will play to their maximum.

I wanted OGS because of the foreign talent he could bring to the club, but we will see with Lambert.

The Sun reporting it now too.

TBF Dean Scoggins of the Sun ALL the way through the OGS saga maintained it was just to get movement on Lambert situation sorted.

Have no idea if he was correct of course or if he changed his mind.

Again, I will state that Richard looking like he knows the score, coming across as happy and being quietly confident makes me scared...:!:
be afraid, be very afraid!

Surprisingly not on either of the Norwich message boards yet, went on there expecting Meltdown and seems they aren't aware yet

Thats because our CEO has said tonight there has been no approach for Lambert yet.