Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

I didn't pay an awful lot of attention to Norwich last season. Do they pass it around? Is there off-the-ball movement? These are things we desperately need at Villa. We can't pass for shit.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't pay an awful lot of attention to Norwich last season. Do they pass it around? Is there off-the-ball movement? These are things we desperately need at Villa. We can't pass for shit.

Did you see the last game of the season against us? Tore is apart, had hunger, desire, a will to win. I'd take that right now.

YES

I really wouldn't worry to much about that at this stage. passing it around is very subjective (although i agree your prognosis)

Martinez has a reputation for the passing game - yet some here were with some justification saying they were the worst team we played last season.

Houllier often preached the passing game - and at times we were stroking it around nicley - but we lacked penetration.

MON has a reputation for direct football - well if that was what we witnessed when we beat blues 5-1 - bring on some more.

My point is 'the passing game' is very subjective - If Lambert comes - some will cry 'hoofball' whatever they see.

At this moment in time the club needs imo discipline and stability - if whoever comes in - can start to put those foundations in place - and keep us out of the relegation zone in season 1 - I will be happy.

Not getting my hopes up - that it will be lambert - the timing seems bizzarre - fully expect Lambert to committ to Norwich in the next few days.....

No. They are very direct and one dimensional. They didnt pass the ball much as seen in their season stats. They tend to use the ball quickly get it out wide and then put it in the middle quickly. Its MON carbon copy stuff. Alarmingly only the bottom 3 teams had worse defences last year and Norwich's best player last year was the goalie john ruddy who got an england call up. ruddy had to pick the ball out of his net 66 times which is very alarming. defensivley they were atrocious.

I might be missing something here but where have Aston Villa or Faulkner said anything?

From what i can see, no. I seen the "Villa will approach PL in within the next 24 hours" on sky sports website, but i can't find anything backing that up.

Honestly ...how many people have said today?

Welcome Paul

We're hiring Paul Lambert.

Nobody listened did they!

People (me included) can't come on the board & tell people how they know sometimes you just have read what they've posted!!

At this moment in time the club needs imo discipline and stability - if whoever comes in - can start to put those foundations in place - and keep us out of the relegation zone in season 1 - I will be happy.

This. We're not going to be playing Arsenal style football. If it gets the results that's fine by me. McLeish took it to a different level entirely and made me want to cry when I was watching Villa. It could never get as bad as that again

No. They are very direct and one dimensional. They didnt pass the ball much as seen in their season stats. They tend to use the ball quickly get it out wide and then put it in the middle quickly. Its MON carbon copy stuff. Alarmingly only the bottom 3 teams had worse defences last year and Norwich's best player last year was the goalie john ruddy who got an england call up. ruddy had to pick the ball out of his net 66 times which is very alarming. defensivley they were atrocious.

What's alarming? They were in league 1 two seasons ago!

MON mark II

Still MON was a popular manager at the club so can hardly fault the club in that respect.

A bit meh really. A couple of good cup runs maybe and top half finish at best is what we are looking at.

So clueless.

What's alarming? They were in league 1 two seasons ago!

We are poor defensivley. Lamberts teams are horrendous defensivley. But that is clearly no concern.

Better players pass the ball better, easy as that really. Crap players need to get rid of the ball quicker, and often result in a hoof far up the pitch.

Some managers of course emphasize on defensive approaches and hoofing, like Allardyce and McLeish, but in the end all managers need better players. Do you think we would have played like Arsenal did in 2003 if we had Wenger last year? No way. We would have played better of course, but crap players will always play crap football. Some mentioned WBA and Mowbray, in no way did they pass is around. They ran after the ball 85% of the time and relegated, it is all a myth. It is a huge difference between passing and constructive attacking passing that leads to goals.

What we need is a manager who knows tactics, both defensive and attacking, and someone who can give our players confidence to keep the ball longer. And the most important thing we need are several new players. Without that ingredient we are not going to play flowing football, whoever the manager is. We have talent in Ireland and N'Zogbia in the middle of the pitch, and then of course Darren Bent up top. Gabby can suddenly turn into a better player again, he has been quite good at times during his career. Then there is Albrighton of course, he can develop more and turn into a tidy player. I said before the last season that I was 95% sure he was going to have a dip in form and show that he is really just a talent, many disagreed and said he was now as good as most wingers in the Premier League.

We need several midfielders and a new striker to even stand a chance op top 10 next year, now that Petrov is off the roster as well. We can compete with Everton and Newcastle if we purchase wisely, does not always take 10M players to do that.