Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

James Nursey (midlands reporter for Mirror) who also has close ties to Norwich has said we'd be in with a chance of getting Lambert.

His tweets:

#AVFC boss McLeish puts planning for next season on hold. http://bit.ly/IWHcZ9 He has cancelled meetings this week re: new players

Regarding Paul Lambert of #NCFC to #AVFC. There's been no contact from Villa but I have heard he would take Villa post if offered job.

@gregbanbury #NCFC Lambo is v v ambitious. I think/heard he wants a bigger club to turn around & would fancy #AVFC. They have big potential

@gregbanbury why do you think Lambert has been doing more interviews recently? Heard angling for Spurs or Villa

@gregbanbury Ok, I hope Lambert stays at #NCFC (as a former ST holder there) but think this summer he will be off - if offered a better job

@AdeBarbs surely true though that if #NCFC relegate #AVFC it is hard to see Lambert going there in the summer to a Championship club

Off to #AVFC shortly. Will be interesting to see Alex McLeish ahead of crunch #WBA game

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would Lambert leave a club where the supporters are fair minded and supportive, for a club like Villa where the supporters hounded Houllier because he wasn't O'Neill, and initially hounded McLeish because he came from our rivals.

Indeed, if you track back, the only managers that Villa supporters have liked this millennium are Gregory and O'Neill, so the search should be on for someone with a massive ego for the supporters to idolise.

Rafa, come on down.

"Lambert's not a big enough name"

Firstly, that means **** all. Look at where he's gotten Norwich. And look at the squad he's done it with. He doesn't have 1 player in that squad who is realy good. Yet he's done wonders with them.

He won't need to attract big name players, not that we could afford them anyway.

**** the style of football. Where we are, we need to win. I'd play like McLeish right now IF it yielded results (which McLeish's football obviously doesn't)

I disagree that Lambert's style is poor anyway. But regardless, it gets results. That's the most important thing right now. if we want to encourage "good" football, then do it when we're in a safe position to do so.

Lambert will get us there and, I'd wager, beyond.

He'd be my preferred choice over Rodgers and Martinez for 2 reasons.

First reason is simple, I personally think he's a better manager.

But secondly, even assuming Rodgers and Martinez are "better", their style of football will take a good couple of seasons to bed in. We won't be able to all of a sudden go from 90 yard hoofers to tiki taka.

That will not work for us. Firstly, we don't have the quality in the squad to take a step back in order to take two forward. A step back right now will leave us relegated next season (if we survive this season).

Also, i don't believe the fans have the patience to endure that period, regardless of whether we survived. I personally think that if Martinez came in and tried to change the way we play to mixed results early on, the fans would get on his back and it wouldn't work.

We need someone who can come in and make an impact with what we have. Move us up the table a bit and THEN concentrate on adding to the squad and building us from there. We need someone to give us that platform to build from, so that we can afford to take a small step back potentially in order to go forward.

Someone like Rodgers or Martinez wouldn't be right for that, imo. Lambert, on the other hand, would be perfect.

If we go down i'd take Lambert in a heartbeat (but we'd be forced to offer McLeish-type money for him to accept, so not likelly)

If and this is a big IF we stay up i hope we go for someone else.

Lambert has done a great job at Norwich getting a group of mediocre minor league players to overperform during consecutive seasons and im sure he'd do ok here to.

But is this were you se Aston Villa now? Having to scout the minor leagues and Scotland to find players that are willing to play for us. To be honest there is'nt one player in Norwich that id like us to sign other than maybe as a cheap backup.

Unless our owner (hopefully a new one) is willing to pump in some money there's really no point in us even bothering, we might as well just accept a slow death like Nottingham and Leeds. If we are relegated we have 1 possibly 2 years to get back up, after that we are (proud) history and gone.

Im not ready to accept this yet so i refuse to settle for Lambert if we stay up. Same as with players the second year after promotion is always the hardest, lets se if Lambert continues to improve Norwich next season to, then i'd be interested, not now.

Other than that there are 3 more things that makes me hesitate about Lambert.

#1 His nationality (sorry to all the poeple of Scotland), I would not trust a letter from an Nigerian Doctor who just inherited money and a would not trust a Scottish manager.

#2 His coaching staff , ours are dreadful and if he brings his own i don't se any names there who fills me with confidence.

#3 His scouting network and knowledge of players outside the UK. Ours are dreadful and if he brings his own i don't se any names there who fills me with confidence. I might be wrong here seeing as he played in Dortmund 1 season but looking at his Norwich team it's largely UK players and i don't see that working if we wan't to improve without spending silly money.

For me Lambert is a huge gamble that might very well work out, but if we're going to gamble i'd rather we gambled on someone from mainland Europe.

Fergie?

He's a bit of a one off would you not agree? And at 71 with a failing liver? id would not trust him either. But as someone pointed out i'd happily take Moyes

James Nursery, Midlands writer for the Mirror and also a Norwich City fan has said this;

Regarding Paul Lambert of #NCFC to #AVFC. There's been no contact from Villa but I have heard he would take Villa post if offered job.

That article is based on nothing other than unfounded lazy guesswork

Not in any way worthy of a thread IMHO

So is pretty much every speculation article that's ever posted on here.

That's why they're called speculation. People are speculating.

But you've shown before that you dislike Lambert, so I'd imagine that's the real reason for you not wanting the thread :detect:

That article is based on nothing other than unfounded lazy guesswork

Not in any way worthy of a thread IMHO

This. Lerner is not going to sack AM!

Nor does he have the ability to bring in a manager like Lambert.

Pointless thread is pointless.

Lambert is MON 2.0, so I'd def want him at Villa. He'll want funds, though, just like any half decent manager would.

I thin khe could be better than MON.

He's MON, but with tactics.

and initially hounded McLeish because he came from our rivals.

Or becaus he was shit... Go ahead, tar us all with the same brush.

Pathetic from a 'fellow' fan.

No, he turned out to be shit.

Just like Pardew, who was shit a couple of years ago, has turned out to be brilliant.

McLeish was a dead man walking. The fact that he lived up to his billing is irrelevant.

Even now, I read stuff on here from people who are revelling in the 'I told you so' moment, regardless of our club's perilous situation.

Now that's pathetic.

Lambert won't come here imo and if he does I don't see it working out

James Nursey (midlands reporter for Mirror) who also has close ties to Norwich has said we'd be in with a chance of getting Lambert.

His tweets:

@gregbanbury #NCFC Lambo is v v ambitious. I think/heard he wants a bigger club to turn around & would fancy #AVFC. They have big potential

@gregbanbury why do you think Lambert has been doing more interviews recently? Heard angling for Spurs or Villa

@gregbanbury Ok, I hope Lambert stays at #NCFC (as a former ST holder there) but think this summer he will be off - if offered a better job

“Speculation about players is something you can never do anything about. That happens. It happens with managers as well and you can’t stop that,” he said. “If my players get linked with other teams there is not a thing I can do about that. It is the same situation about myself. It is extremely unfair with me being linked with Aston Villa when they have got a really good manager up there who is doing everything he can to stay in the league. It is an unfair comment for me to say anything on that.”

Lambo quotes, not denying he is interested in the job.