Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm very impressed Lambert appears to be casting the net further. You have to be prepared to look outside the UK for talent sometimes. I am surprised though. He didn't strike me as the kind of manager that would go for players from abroad.

That's because of all that MON Lite / Mark II bollocks. Hopefully this will be a start in putting all that to bed.

I never believed he was MON MkII in the first place, I was just going by who he had signed at Norwich (admittedly not surprising given how small Norwich are).

Sorry wasn't aimed directly at you Mantis - just saying in regards to the transfers people expected.

Bold statement from Lambert if he said this to Norwich chief McNally.

James Nursey ‏@JamesNursey

Paul Lambert certainly has faith in himself. Gather he told #NCFC McNally he could get club into Champs Leag with right backing! #avfc

Get which club into the champions league? Villa or Norwich?

Villa I presume Nursey was talking about. When he left Norwich and spoke with McNally. If he thought he could get Norwich in the champions league, he'd certainly think he'd be able to get Villa there.

Paul Lambert certainly has faith in himself. Gather he told #NCFC McNally he could get club into Champs Leag with right backing! #avfc

And he wouldn't be here without the right backing for a medium to long term project

And he wouldn't be here without the right backing for a medium to long term project

Hopefully.

So far I'm still leaning towards the view that Lambert's using us as a stepping stone.

So far I'm still leaning towards the view that Lambert's using us as a stepping stone.

Is that Villafan speak for "He's going to be good" ?

Hopefully.

In my 30 odd years followng this great club I have only seen one manager leave Aston Villa and step up and that was Graham Taylor when he took the England job. If Lambert gets the opportunity to move to a bigger club than us, and in this country you are looking at only a handful of clubs that would be a step up, he will have done an exceptional job with us. In fact if he were to get us into the Champions League then the clubs that would be a step up would be very limited.

You have to also remember that if he gets us Champions League and then he leaves for say Man United we will have no issue replacing him as a Champions League side can get whoever they want typically. It very much seems that Lambert wants to get us into a position we can sustain when he moves on, he doesn't want to leave us in the shit like MON did.

You have to also remember that if he gets us Champions League and then he leaves for say Man United we will have no issue replacing him as a Champions League side can get whoever they want typically. It very much seems that Lambert wants to get us into a position we can sustain when he moves on, he doesn't want to leave us in the shit like MON did.

Fair enough.

We all know how near impossible getting CL football without massive City-style investment is though, so chances are he will take us to around top 6, and I wouldn't bet against him moving on to Utd etc.

Hopefully.

In my 30 odd years followng this great club I have only seen one manager leave Aston Villa and step up and that was Graham Taylor when he took the England job. If Lambert gets the opportunity to move to a bigger club than us, and in this country you are looking at only a handful of clubs that would be a step up, he will have done an exceptional job with us. In fact if he were to get us into the Champions League then the clubs that would be a step up would be very limited.

People forget though if he makes it at Villa - then there's no reason for him to leave - unless obviously the mega clubs, and you can't hold that against anybody.

Everything is set up here for success.

Yeah no one would blame him, if he left us like that tbh....

Fair enough.

We all know how near impossible getting CL football without massive City-style investment is though, so chances are he will take us to around top 6, and I wouldn't bet against him moving on to Utd etc.

PL won't get offered 'Utd etc' just for getting us 'around top 6'!

I don't think Lambert would have much chance of a bigger job unless he did pretty bloody well at Aston Villa. He's only managed for one season in the Prem. so far.

If he does Crap, we replace him: no problem

If he does Okay, we keep him: no problem

If he does Fairly Well, we'd be knocking on the door of the CL but he'd probably not be considered for the biggest clubs: no problem

If he does Brilliantly, we'd be in the CL and even if he did go to a bigger club we'd then be able to attract another good manager and decent players: no problem.

As much as I believe that PL will improve us I have to say I find all this talk of Champions League a little ridiculous.

Granted Newcastle ran it close this season but ultimately they might as well have been a million miles away as they're still in the UEFA cup only and that's with two of the most prolific strikers in the league at differing stages of the season.......