Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Found a great article about him in a swedish paper that was written earlier this year..wish i could translate it all...here are some bits:

Imagine you are taking over a team that is bottom of league 1....878 days later you have brought the team from the third divison to a place in the top half of the premier league..it shouldnt be possible,it isn't possible..but Paul Lambert has done it.

Magnus hedman who played with him at celtic said they used to call him the german: He was always correct, very proffesional but had the world worst dress sense =)

He was also a great teammate,he really cared..he didnt talk alot but when he did you listened.

When he was at B dortmund ottomar hitzfeld always told him: Paul,when you get the ball,give it to Andy Moller =)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Opta Sports ‏@OptaJoe

7 - Paul Lambert used seven different starting formations with Norwich in the Premier League last season. Flexible.

To be fair Mcleish used a few:

One with 11 defenders, one with 10 defenders, one with 9 defenders...

Seriously, Mcleish is gone and yet you're still having the same argument on whether he was a nice guy or not, who cares?

We have Lambert now, let's focus on the future.

Alex McLeish like AVB at CFC were just two nice blokes... sometimes what you need is NASTY when required!!
How was McLeish nice?

Because he's not got that nasty, tough edge about him to motivate players.

That apparently is the problem with AVB - he was lucky before - he got a decent bunch of players who wanted to play for him.

CFC like AVFC have a few overpaid Butlin's holidaymakers in their squad, which unfortunately has become the worst side effect of the money which washes over the PL these days.

Lambert as I think we can all tell does not take crappers of anyone.

Hence the quote as why Villa wanted him so much "he'll shake things up"

Top post. Totally agree with the points and analogy.

I think the legal teams are going through this, the point is AVFC approached Norwich for permission, they refused but PL has a clause in his contract to say he can talk to another club, this is why he resigned. Then he started speaking to AVFC, as he's on a rolling contract they can't do a lot in my opinion.

So you've seen his contract have you or are you believing the Sun ? I think you'll find that he didn't have a clause saying he could talk to other clubs, hence why hes now on gardening leave until you guys come up with compensation that is acceptable to us.

So you've seen his contract have you?

No but our CEO said yesterday in an interview that we're still trying to agree compensation and if he had a clause saying he could talk to other clubs, then we wouldnt have been able to refuse him permission to talk to you would we ??

That's why paul and others on our side of this are more than a little pissed off with narich. Your club have not acted well in all this and despite all the talk from your fanbase about the relative sizes of the two clubs, naaaarrrrich have shown themselves to be small time and lacking a bit of class and honour. Shame as I always had a bit of time for the club

But harsh that. Were they supposed to make it easy for us?

That Redscouse bellend that came on here saying similar about Barry in 2008 was rightly ridiculed for a similar stance.

Oh, and welcome Paul! :P

Top post mate.

As a Pool fan I remember the vitriol towards us when we were in for Barry, Young and Downing which was completely understandable as we were using our status as a bigger club and attraction back then to try and nick your best player(s). I'd be the same.

Some LFC fans acted with no class, humility or dignity when it looked like Barry was coming and used the event as an opportunity to act billy big bollocks coz thier team was the bigger team and was using their standing to try and take Villa's then best players.

They were correctly ran out of town for being fools but now I see Villa doing what LFC did in usuing their stature as a big club to take a smaller clubs Manager, and a very small handful of Villa posters mocking and deriding NCFC and their fans in the same way they were chastised by a few LFC fans, which made them angry and rightly so. Utter hypocrisy and we'll see how these posters react if a bigger club comes in for one of their players or maybe their Manager in the future and will remind them of this thread.

It was only a small handful of people though and the majority of Villa fans have acted with class, humility and dignity. I get the feeling the replies to this post will only prove my point further.

Barry and Young finished on equal points at the top of the league and were good servants to Villa. I wish them both well.

Downing came to us with a broken ankle and left in a flash. Got £20m for a weakling of a man who has proven to be not worthy of the fee. I am a Villa fan who is happy with that piece of business.

**** O'Neill. Lambert is our Hitzfeld. :D

Seriously, Mcleish is gone and yet you're still having the same argument on whether he was a nice guy or not, who cares?

We have Lambert now, let's focus on the future.

Well people keep on insisting on brining up this myth.

Absolutely brilliant news, not just because PL is a good manager with good backroom staff but also because the buzz is back. I think most of us can say we feel relieved, excited and also confident that next year will be a lot better.

Theres not much better than going to a football match knowing the atmosphere will be good and positive.

And anything or anyone that can get Richard this happy is a laudable triumph.

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!

Some media reports are suggesting we have agreed compensation for Paul's services with Aston Villa, however this is not the case. We will continue to discuss this matter privately with Aston Villa.

Norwich City statement...

"Look David our final offer is £250 plus 2 bags of KP's finest..... OR our entire back four...... take your pick!"

Some media reports are suggesting we have agreed compensation for Paul's services with Aston Villa, however this is not the case. We will continue to discuss this matter privately with Aston Villa.

Norwich City statement...

"Look David our final offer is £250 plus 2 bags of KP's finest..... OR our entire back four...... take your pick!"

"We can also throw in a Caspian Pizza, Big Johns Kebab Meat and chips and VIP membership at the Hunters Moon"

McLeish is nice, because pundits and the OS told us so.

Yes, there goes that nice man. £millions richer after making thousands sad, depressed and angry. Such a nice thing to do.