Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

When PL is confirmed everyone should get behind him 100% forget posting anything negative,remember how bad the last 12 months have been? Folks on here would have taken anyone a few weeks ago we were that desperate but it looks as though we have possibly got ourselves a very good young Manager this time.

Absolutely but he isnt getting a free pass. A few dumb transfers or setting us up to play tedious football and he will be getting deserved abuse.

Hopefully this wont happen and all indications are he likes playing attractive football. I am a wee bit worried that he isnt as focused on possession as I would like but I am more than willing to wait and see. He changes his teams set up when warranted and strikes me as being a winner.

He has my support until he indicates otherwise.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When PL is confirmed everyone should get behind him 100% forget posting anything negative,remember how bad the last 12 months have been? Folks on here would have taken anyone a few weeks ago we were that desperate but it looks as though we have possibly got ourselves a very good young Manager this time.

Absolutely but he isnt getting a free pass. A few dumb transfers or setting us up to play tedious football and he will be getting deserved abuse.

Hopefully this wont happen and all indications are he likes playing attractive football. I am a wee bit worried that he isnt as focused on possession as I would like but I am more than willing to wait and see. He changes his teams set up when warranted and strikes me as being a winner.

He has my support until he indicates otherwise.

Just wow.

What's going on?

I hope nothing scuppers it...

I'm absolutely certain that it's 100% nailed on. Norwich are looking for another manager, nobody else is in for PL.

Welcome Paul. (My third choice but an extremely safe pair of hands with a total winning mentality.)

But he's right though. If he delivers the same tripe as McLeish then why should he get a free pass?

That said, I really don't think he'll be anywhere near as bad as McLeish. As long as there are signs of improvement he will get time from the fans.

But he's right though. If he delivers the same tripe as McLeish then why should he get a free pass?

That said, I really don't think he'll be anywhere near as bad as McLeish. As long as there are signs of improvement he will get time from the fans.

He doesn't set up to avoid losing, and better still he doesn't like draws. He's nothing like McLeish.

Ron Saunders's first three league matches with Villa ended in disappointing draws.

Would he have qualified for "deserved abuse"?

Before anyone goes off on one because I'm not a Villa fan, I just wanted to say Villa are getting a really top manager in Paul Lambert, I'm a life long Norwich fan and as shite as your seasons been, I've seen much more crap for much longer as a Norwich fan.

We're gutted to see him go, but there's a hell of a lot of potential at Villa, and rumour has it that NCFC's board were being a little stingy with the purse strings so who can blame him? the bottom line is we were in shit state when he took over and he did wonders for us, and if he can do the same at Villa then you'll be well chuffed with his appointment.

If there's any Johnny Big Boll**ks at the club now who aren't pulling their weight, the Lambert will get rid or change them. Give him time, he plays his cards close to his chest, but he IS a bloody good manager. All the best for next season, look forward to another good match at Carrow Rd, we enjoyed the Villa fans, great fancy dress and a cracking atmosphere. Adious Amigos

Before anyone goes off on one because I'm not a Villa fan, I just wanted to say Villa are getting a really top manager in Paul Lambert, I'm a life long Norwich fan and as shite as your seasons been, I've seen much more crap for much longer as a Norwich fan.

We're gutted to see him go, but there's a hell of a lot of potential at Villa, and rumour has it that NCFC's board were being a little stingy with the purse strings so who can blame him? the bottom line is we were in shit state when he took over and he did wonders for us, and if he can do the same at Villa then you'll be well chuffed with his appointment.

If there's any Johnny Big Boll**ks at the club now who aren't pulling their weight, the Lambert will get rid or change them. Give him time, he plays his cards close to his chest, but he IS a bloody good manager. All the best for next season, look forward to another good match at Carrow Rd, we enjoyed the Villa fans, great fancy dress and a cracking atmosphere. Adious Amigos

Welcome and thanks for your views it is nice to hear a little more insight into him from someone who has better knowledge of him than most on here.

We certainly have a few players he will need to sort out or hopefully get rid of, I don't suppose you need a couple of CB's do you?

I'd be interested in hearing a little more about his tactics and the way he sets sides up to play if you fancy obliging.

Feel free to stick around, friendly away fans are welcome.

He doesn't set up to avoid losing, and better still he doesn't like draws. He's nothing like McLeish.

I know that. I never said Lambert was anything like McLeish.

Aston Villa remain confident that Norwich City are not entitled to any compensation as they finalise preparations to make Paul Lambert their new manager.

Lambert resigned from Carrow Road on Thursday once negotiations between the clubs over a settlement for his "transfer" reached an impasse. As he walked out without a formal job offer the 42-year-old technically made himself a free agent – although Norwich, who claim they have "refused to accept" his resignation, may yet test that view at a tribunal.

Villa say there have been no further negotiations between the clubs since Lambert's exit but Norwich beg to differ. What is certain is that talks between the former Celtic and Borussia Dortmund midfielder and Villa were progressing smoothly on Friday with confirmation of his appointment as Alex McLeish's successor expected shortly.

David McNally, the Norwich chief executive, conceded he was searching for a new manager but claimed Lambert was on gardening leave. "We were in a situation where we were approached by another club to speak to Paul Lambert, we didn't grant them permission and we were very clear we wanted to keep our manager," McNally said. "When it was indicated that he would like the opportunity to speak to this particular club the dynamics changed, and then it was about talking to them about compensation, agreeing compensation and sorting out a time frame, and we are still in that process.

"Paul did tender his resignation but we haven't accepted it – that is our right and we will attempt to get to a conclusion on this. The lawyers will be involved and we will see if we can get through this as quickly as possible. Then we can focus on our search for a new manager."

Committed to a brand of passing football – albeit one containing a touch more pragmatism than that practised by another name on Villa's shortlist, Wigan's Roberto Martínez - Lambert possesses a proven track record of radically improving unsung players. In three years at Norwich after joining from Colchester the Carrow Road side won successive promotions from League One to the Premier League where they finished 12th last season.

Lambert, who earned £800,000 a year on a 12-month rolling contract in East Anglia, is likely to be warmly greeted by Villa fans underwhelmed by McLeish's rather more dour brand of football. Meanwhile the club's hierarchy trust they have identified the right coach to nurture the products of their highly promising youth system. A Champions League winner with Borussia Dortmund in 1997, when he famously subdued Juventus's Zinedine Zidane in the final, Lambert has the additional advantage of being able to show Villa's players his medals.

McLeish had been told money was tight this summer at Villa but his successor has received a different message and can expect to be backed in the transfer market by the club's owner, Randy Lerner.

Speculation that Lambert could be reunited with Grant Holt has intensified after Norwich's centre-forward tweeted his desire to depart Carrow Road this summer.

McNally demurred. "Grant Holt is not for sale," he said before denying Norwich have made approaches to Celtic's Neil Lennon and Cardiff's Malky Mackay regarding their managerial vacancy. "We are in a very, very healthy situation – probably the best financial health we've been in for 109 years so we don't need to sell anyone."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/01/norwich-aston-villa-paul-lambert

It's never straightforward with Villa, is it?

Top post, thanks for your views, we certainly have a few that we need get rid of so PL looks perfect to do that. I hope you replace him well as I'd like Norwich to stick around in the prem.

It doesn't say it's at a sticking point though. Much like waiting for pizza delivery, just have patience, it will arrive soon enough