Stay Up Keep Mcleish - Or Championship with New Manager

smetrov

Newcastle proved that you can come back stronger, look what they have achieved.

Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Coventry City, Bradford City, Barnsley, Sheffield United, Charlton Athletic, Middlesbrough, Derby County, Leicester City, Portsmouth, Watford, Crystal Palace, Ipswich Town etc etc...

Swindon Town, Oldham Athletic.

We're just as likely to join that bunch.

Last time we were relegated we got lucky in that Doug managed to convince Graham Taylor to come and sort the mess out. I'm not so confident that Lerner will be so lucky, his track record doesn't point to being a great success at finding the right men. He'll probably ask Fergie, and we'll end up with Steve Bruce at the helm.

Steve Bruce seems like a good option atm, experienced at building promotion teams, and can keep teams in the division, aswell as an eye for a decent player.

Last time we were relegated we got lucky in that Doug managed to convince Graham Taylor to come and sort the mess out. I'm not so confident that Lerner will be so lucky, his track record doesn't point to being a great success at finding the right men. He'll probably ask Fergie, and we'll end up with Steve Bruce at the helm.

Steve Bruce seems like a good option atm, experienced at building promotion teams, and can keep teams in the division, aswell as an eye for a decent player.

Lerner is so clueless I could see him going for Bruce or McCarthy. We really are up shit creek.

Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Coventry City, Bradford City, Barnsley, Sheffield United, Charlton Athletic, Middlesbrough, Derby County, Leicester City, Portsmouth, Watford, Crystal Palace, Ipswich Town etc etc...

As referenced above, there is no gurantee whatsoever that we would come straight back up. The odds are very much against that happening.

No brainer for me.Stay up at all costs.

Stay up at any cost, even it it means McLeish.

If Randy by some miracle sacks McLeish our next manager will likelly be this one:

eddie.jpg

With Randy having no clue what so ever about "Soccer" having seen this documentary on the telly decides this is the way to go for Villa as it worked so well for the Knicks

As referenced above, there is no gurantee whatsoever that we would come straight back up. The odds are very much against that happening.

No brainer for me.Stay up at all costs.

With the greatest of respect to nearly all of those clubs, they merely went back to where they belong in the hierarchy. It is not true to say we're as likely to join them. We have far more in common with the size and stature of Newcastle United than we do with Watford or Barnsley and it doesn't help the discussion to suggest otherwise. If we did go down, we would be an enormous fish in that pond. It would be a massive setback but we would have our pick of the division and we are more likely to do a Newcastle than to do a Sheff Utd. No it's not a guarantee that we would. Nothing is guaranteed. But in a discussion about likelyhood, this club; because of it's size and stature within the game; would - I feel - gravitate back towards the Premier League. Probably in one season. Not that I for one minute want to test out that theory. If that sounds arrogant on behalf of Aston Villa then I'm sorry. My club is better than those clubs and I will never think otherwise.

Just read those team names that you have listed. They are not nor ever have been in the same bracket as Aston Villa. They are nothing teams and have been for a long time. Why don't you go the whole hog and mention Accrington Stanley?

This question is a bit like going to see a consultant and he tells you:

"We can operate now and save your life but you will be quite sore for about 12 months but after that you will be back to normal and lead a normal life".

or;

"We can leave the operation until next year but the likelihood is that the cancer in your body will have spread to an extent that would mean the operation is not likely to be successful and you will die in the next couple of years".

Mmmm....which one should I choose?

That's a wind up right?

We HAVE to stay up. I just can't see Lerner sacking him, he hasn't got a clue - evidenced by this amazing appointment in the first place.

You just know if we go down he will be given the chance to 'Get us back up at the first attempt' as he 'Has the experience - knows the Championship' etc

Indeed, I think it's more likely he'll stay if we're relegated, for a couple of reasons: Firstly, he got sha back up first time without much fuss and secondly, we simply won't be able to afford to sack him.

Just read those team names that you have listed. They are not nor ever have been in the same bracket as Aston Villa. They are nothing teams and have been for a long time. Why don't you go the whole hog and mention Accrington Stanley?

Are you joking??

Some of them - you're totally right to make that claim over - but for teams like Wednesday, Leeds, Forest even Pompy, Middlesbrough and Coventry at the actual time of them being relegated from the top division, they had a stature, team and fan base just like we do now!! They were all the 'big club that got relegated' in their particular seasons.......just like Newcastle.

Leeds' story is remarkebly like ours! Went for broke, missed out on champions league, had to sell all their 'best players', had a tactically inept manager and eventually went down.

Now we've not gone down just yet (and I hope to hell that we don't) but to think that we're a much better club now than some of those listed were when they went down is madness!! (and you're not the only one to of made that point!) You can't possibly make that comment based upon the stature of those clubs now - you need to look at where those clubs were when they got relegated - that was the point of listing them in the first place! (and I'd just like to add Southampton to that list to)

In my head, AVFC are as big as Manchester United - because I'm a fan and love my club - but the reality of it is that theres not much difference between AVFC now and Coventry when they went down (should I remind you that they'd been in the top flight for 34 years by the time they went down?)

Infact, our season stats now aren't that far off what Coventrys were at the end of the season they went down - so we're totally in the same bracket as some of those teams!

If we went down, I'd be disappointed that I wouldn't be able to watch every game. I can't afford to go to as many games as I'd like to, so Premier League streams have been a lifeline in the past couple of seasons. Not missed a game whether it be live, streamed or in a pub for 3 years, but guess I will if we went down. Would ticket prices drop significantly if we got relegated?

Going down would be an absolute **** disaster! Keep McLeish and stay up (ideally stay up and lose McLeish).

Â