Sir Alex Feguson on 'Diving'

The_Steve

That's what annoys me about this sort of thing. The powers that be seem to be terrified of upsetting people whe nit comes to punishments.

Neville the other day was saying if you punished diving then you'd be handing out punishements all over the place.

And, as BOF says, it's the same with shirt pulling. "Well if you give a penalty for that you'd be giving them every week!"

No you wouldn't, because people would soon understand that doing it results in a penalty.

Same with players crowding the ref. Just book the ****! Give them one chance, say "go away" and if they don't, booked.

Yes you'd get a load of red cards when it first started happening, but people would soon stop.

Yep, eventually players would learn.

You'd probably have a months full of games where they finish 5-3, with 4 penalties and it finishing 6v6 though. :lol:

Growing up watching American sports, it came as a real shock when I saw how much abuse referees get from players in English football. If you told an official to "**** off" over here, you'd be kicked out of the game on the spot, maybe even fined.

If you told an official to **** off in any other sport over here you'd be sent off.

It's only football that allows it.

But as I said, if they started giving out red cards for it and actually having the bollocks to stick to it, then it would stop happening.

Is it me or did officials used to be much stricter about dissent in the 80's and 90's? The image of Gazza getting carded for something he clearly said as a joke springs to mind.

I presume you mean

The best bit about this clip is that after Gazza gives him his card the ref reaches for his pocket for the card which is already in his hand. :D

Is it me or did officials used to be much stricter about dissent in the 80's and 90's? The image of Gazza getting carded for something he clearly said as a joke springs to mind.

I presume you mean

The best bit about this clip is that after Gazza gives him his card the ref reaches for his pocket for the card which is already in his hand. :D

Hah, I remember that one now but it wasn't the one I had in mind.

What I was thinking of was Gascoigne smirking and saying something to a ref after he had blown for a foul on him. The ref's eyes widened as if his cock had been tweaked and he gave an immediate booking. In fact if memory serves - which it might not - Gazza was already on a yellow and had to walk.

Â