Playing the Sky 4 + 1.

Pelle

This is a post that won't be about AML nad his being or not being Villa manager. This is about the frustration of playing the Sky 4 +1, meaning United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and, in the last few years, Man City. It's frustrating as hell cause all of them apart from Liverpool are better than most temas and wins their games rather easily without the help of the referees, yet they get their help almost every time. We didn't lose yesterday because of diving word removed and Halsey but it's so frustrating.

In times like these for us Villans this might not be that important to many of us. It's not as frustrating as having AML as a manager which we see every weekend, whilst we only play those teams 10 times a season.

Now to my point. What I would like is for every fan of all the other teams to boycott those games just to make a statement to the FA that this can't go on. And not watching those games on TV either. Just to show FA and all the TV companies with the rights to the PL that those clubs ain't that important. It's not all about them. There are 15 other clubs in the league and they're just as important. Make the atmosphere great when we play against Everton, Newcastle, Stoke, etc, but stay away when we play these five teams.

This is not my most thought through idea ever and I realise that maybe most on here doesn't see this as a big issue, but yesterday, after the game, it was just enough for me.

I don't really expect agreement but I hope for a debate about this problem and what to do. As said, these times might not be the best for this discussion with all the other things happening down at VP, but for me it's still an issue.

Just wanted to put my words through.

Other Football is the forum for this.

The debate is old. There are radical changes that could be made that will never be made. Football is now big business, that horse bolted years ago. As things stand I think we're going to see a period where the gap will be closer between the traditional 4 than it has for many a year. Until the world economy picks up again. But of course the anomaly will be Citeh.

One thing that irks me is the "it evens it out over the season". :crylaugh: Bollocks does it. Chelsea have had a tidy run of the ref helping them every game (Us, Wigan, Spurs etc) and United have had countless dodgy decisions given for them and not against them.

One game we've had the benefit of a referee, Liverpool. And most of those weren't penalties. We're bad enough without getting key decisions given against us. Chelsea (h), Stoke (h) QPR (h) WBA (h) off the top of my head.

I thought about putting it here and obviously should have.

Won't happen though, will it?

Probably not, but I think the frustration among fans of the other clubs is growing and there might come a time when enough's enough. But the thing is that even if you go in to these games likely to lose you will win one day or another and it would be a shame to miss that one time as it makes a rather great day.

But as it seems these days for FA the only interesting thing is for one of those teams to win the league and the FA-cup. The rest of us are just there to fill the numbers. The same with Sky and the other TV companies.

I myself always think that I'd better not watch those games as we'll lose anyway and I'll just get angry and frustrated, like yesterday, but then I think IF we win I don't wanna miss it. I missed the most part of our win against Chelsea.

Yesterday's dodgy ref count was 2-2. United got the penalty and the ref allowing them to attack while Clark was concussed (games should stop after a head injury). We got Baker's handball and Given's handball. The trouble is that United's penalty was way more influential towards the result of the game and their 2nd one would have been too had we not broken it up. Ours were while it was already 2-0 to United so would not have changed anything. So while United fans will point out that teams do get decisions for them when playing United, you'll find that United get the bigger decisions and get them at a time that is key to the result.

It is human nature that they favour the bigger more glamourous sides. It is subconscious and as you say, it is not corrupt, but it just happens. There is nothing anyone can do about it. If they're not knowingly favouring these sides then there is no easy way to stop it from happening. There's also the inescapable truth that 'better' sides will attack more and therefore have the opportunity to benefit from decisions more than lesser sides will. If you've got the ball more and you're in the opposition's half more, then you will probably have more fouls in your favour, meaning more chance to benefit from poor decisions aswell.

i did get really pissed off at martin tylers back hand dig saying young didnt learn how to dive at utd and mayby its something villa encouraged while he played here.

i did get really pissed off at martin tylers back hand dig saying young didnt learn how to dive at utd and mayby its something villa encouraged while he played here.

Oh I turned the air blue when he said that and it's not the only time I did during that match. I can't remember but he said something else that was very derogatory towards Villa. He was on form that day alright, the w*nker.

It is human nature that they favour the bigger more glamourous sides. It is subconscious and as you say, it is not corrupt, but it just happens. There is nothing anyone can do about it.

could clone Collina ;)

Collina wasn't perfect either. He was as close as we've come, but even he had his moments. The public perception of Collina far out-performed the referee.

Can refs be classed as over rated. Collina was.

Anyone remember the game at Euro 2008 between Holland and Czech Rep. That dive by the Holland player was worse then Youngs recent ones. And yet he gave a penalty. Owen against Argentina in 2002 was a bad call too. He also did his best to help Ronaldo in the 2002 final. But of course I admit I did not see him domestically that much so it can be argued that was when he had his good games.

Getting teams to boycott the games against the 'big 4' is pointless. The only games that sell out at VP are when we play the top 4.

The other week we had an attendance of 30,000, one of our lowest for a weekend game in recent history.

Man Utd's game against us the other day was a 75,000 sell out.

Maybe we did encourage it. Certainly the frequency of his theatrics with us would suggest we didn't discourage it.

Â