Larry Canning

John

Former Villa player Larry Canning passed away on 4/4/12 at the age of 86 following a long battle with Vascular Dementia.

Larry joined us from Paget Rangers and made 41 league and cup appearances for Aston Villa scoring 3 goals. He made his Villa debut in season 1948-49 and left the club for Kettering Town after making 9 league appearances for us in season 1953-54 when he lined up in a Villa team that was managed by Eric Houghton and captained by Danny Blanchflower.

Larry scored 3 goals for our club. He scored twice during season 1950-51 with goals in a 1–1 home draw against Arsenal and he then hit our first in a 3-2 home win against Burnley. In his penultimate season with the club he found the net to add our second in a 2-0 home win against Burnley.

Larry was a wing half who later following a suggestion from David Coleman to “have a go” became a much respected sports journalist and broadcaster. His widow Margaret told “The Sunday Mercury” that she had been “overwhelmed by the amount of people who have been in touch or sent flowers” and added “I would have thought people had forgotten oldies like us. It is so lovely to know that so many people thought so well of him”. She also revealed that “he was one of the only journalists Brian Clough ever had any time for. Brian would always call him Mr Canning, and I don’t think he ever failed to get an interview with him”.

Larry’s funeral will be held on Tuesday 17/4/12 at 12.20 at Wilford Hill Crematorium, Loughborough Road, West Bridgford, Nottingham. My thoughts are with his family. HEITS.

Â