Purchasing a Car? What one?

knoppy1987

• 3 months later...

VT, I need some car advice. So I bought a Renault Megane 2003 1.5 DCI. It's completely rubbish, I bought a turkey, it keeps going breaking down. Fuel leaks, suspension broken, Fuel injectors failing on my way home, failed airbag (needs a new rotary switch £200ish job). I've had it less than 6 months.

I've had enough of it after 4 months. I hate it. It doesn't drive well, the gearbox is clunky and the clutch is stiff. The MPG is exceptional and it's really cheap tax, but everything else is terrible. I don't think I can stomach the prospect of anything else going wrong with it, I'm getting far too familiar with my local mechanic (who tell me Renaults of that age are notoriously bad for reliability).

Firstly, would it be stupid to get rid of this car so soon after getting it. I will probably lose a fair bit of money (to me) if I sell, because I think I overpaid for it and it's had a few owners now, part service history and well, it's shit, but I think the longer I have it, the more it's going to cost me.

If I get rid, I'm thinking of replacing with a Toyota Yaris 1 litre. Same kind of economy (cheaper insurance), but much, much less power. My drive to work is rural (50 miles a day), is a 1 litre engine going to drive me insane going up and down hills? Is the fuel economy going to take a massive hit on a small engine with lots of driving up steep hills?

If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate your input. I'm such an amateur with cars.

Renaults are notoriously bad and every model seems to have the same problems attached, I'd say get rid of it as soon as you can. A 1.0 litre engine should be eceonomical but yes, you might struggle up hills a little.

What kind of budget are you on? are you looking for second hand or are you the type who would get a car on some kind of lease deal?

Second hand mate. I mean, probably £2500 max (including sale of the Renault). And I want to keep tax, insurance and maintenance costs to a minimum.

I knew Renaults were notoriously unreliable but had spoken to someone who owned a megane diesel (used) and said it was great. I wouldn't touch one of that age again. I've driven a Yaris before and found it alright, it wasn't 'nippy', but okay, but didn't test it on hills. The internet (i've only just discovered Honest John!) tells me the Yaris is a great car for reliability and costs, which is what I want. Ideally, I want that with a bit of power as well, but as with the Megane experience, you can't always have your cake and eat it.

Â