Purchasing a Car? What one?

knoppy1987

Mazda RX8. Do not ever consider buying one of these. Ever.

Can't go wrong with a Toyota. Ultimate in reliability.

What went wrong with the RX8 then? My uncle has only ever driven Toyota's. Swears by them.

I think we could turn this into a car history thread. Surprisingly Villajax and I have a Ford Focus in common. The only other car I have had was a Renault Clio.

Rx8s are expensive to run and repair.

Its got a Wankel engine so only about a 1.3 IIRC but stupidly power output expensive servicing costs and not very fuel efficient.

Oh and ugly as sin.

Wow.

That's the equivalent of stabbing Monica Belucci in the face, shipping her to the states and naming her Tammy-Lynn

:lol: Nail on head.

What went wrong with the RX8 then? My uncle has only ever driven Toyota's. Swears by them.

I think we could turn this into a car history thread. Surprisingly Villajax and I have a Ford Focus in common. The only other car I have had was a Renault Clio.

They burn an obscene amount of engine oil not to mention being very thirsty on juice. Plus being a wankel engine (teehee) you can't just bring it to your local greasemonkey when it needs it's inevitable service/rebuild. Plus they're not user friendly in the sense that RX8 owners need to know what they're at and what to look out for. It's not like, say, a Toyota or Honda (or a regular Mazda for that matter) where you can just turn it on and off for years on end and get little to no trouble.

2009-alfa-romeo-brera-s.jpg

If that's for hairdressers then give me some scissors and a comb

Brera. Wibble. That'd give a dog a bone. Pity they're junky even by Alfa standards :( Avoid the early ones at all costs.

The Brera is a fantastic looking thing.

Would just like to say a big thanks to one VT member who was able to give me a lot of information and help today on the particular car I am hoping to get hold of. I am going to get down to business tomorrow although I have been advised to play a bit of hardball so the process might not be concluded tomorrow but I shall keep you all updated.

Would just like to say a big thanks to one VT member who was able to give me a lot of information and help today on the particular car I am hoping to get hold of. I am going to get down to business tomorrow although I have been advised to play a bit of hardball so the process might not be concluded tomorrow but I shall keep you all updated.

Hope you enjoy that Ford Focus :thumb:

Hope you enjoy that Ford Focus :thumb:

I did enjoy it actually but I think I'll be enjoying the next car much more haha. :lol:.

Brera. Wibble. That'd give a dog a bone. Pity they're junky even by Alfa standards :( Avoid the early ones at all costs.

I'm genuinely considering a Brera when I change cars next year. It'd be copying my mate, but his is soooooo nice.

I'm sure sense will strike before then and I won't go for it, but for now I'm a bit hooked

They burn an obscene amount of engine oil not to mention being very thirsty on juice. Plus being a wankel engine (teehee) you can't just bring it to your local greasemonkey when it needs it's inevitable service/rebuild. Plus they're not user friendly in the sense that RX8 owners need to know what they're at and what to look out for. It's not like, say, a Toyota or Honda (or a regular Mazda for that matter) where you can just turn it on and off for years on end and get little to no trouble.

As BOF says, the engine oil level has to have a gauge in the same way as the fuel gauge and goes down at about the same rate (quite quickly). They sound amazing and are actually quite nice inside. But the Wankel will break. And no-one can fix them. After a certain amount of time it will need a new engine for a fault that won't be immediately obvious on a test drive.

With the RX7, it could be worth risking it due to the immense power you could get from the turbocharged wankel and the amazing looks they had, but the RX8 doesn't even look that good, and have even worse reliability problems.

I'm genuinely considering a Brera when I change cars next year. It'd be copying my mate, but his is soooooo nice.

I'm sure sense will strike before then and I won't go for it, but for now I'm a bit hooked

The running costs don't sound good and I don't think they stack up to the driving experience reputation.

I think these will be brilliant cars:

gt86-grades-ext.jpg

Low emissions, RWD, 200BHP @ 7000rpm on a boxer. It will sound and go lovely. The RWD chassis with the low boxer centre of gravity will mean it will set new standards of handling.

The running costs don't sound good and I don't think they stack up to the driving experience reputation.

The fuel consumption isn't too bad. I've googled some forums and people are getting around 30 mpg in the 2.4L and up to 40 mpg in the 1.9l

BUt yeah, as I said, sense will probably talk me round before I actually come to buy one.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this because I'm looking for a new car, and really interested in the Giulietta. If I was going on looks alone I'd have bought one already.

I've test drove one and the peddle positioning seems completely wrong to me, it was difficult getting a driving position that wasn't uncomfortable. Is this something that once you get the setup right it's no longer an issue? because the peddles just seemed oddly offset to me.

Bumping this because I'm looking for a new car, and really interested in the Giulietta. If I was going on looks alone I'd have bought one already.

I've test drove one and the peddle positioning seems completely wrong to me, it was difficult getting a driving position that wasn't uncomfortable. Is this something that once you get the setup right it's no longer an issue? because the peddles just seemed oddly offset to me.

Probably a result of designing a car for LHD and building it for RHD. "Pedals", shurely?

Probably a result of designing a car for LHD and building it for RHD. "Pedals", shurely?

That was what I figured was the cause. It's really annoying as there's so many things right with the car, but then there's other things that I'm not sure if I'll get used to, or will just end up annoying me constantly.

It's a real question of heart vs head on if I buy it or not. When you look at the alternatives, they're all soul less and boring. There's a million golfs, focuses, and A3's around, I've only seen 1 Giulietta driving around.

(and yeah probably, stupid English language).

oooh, are we going to do car history?

I once had a Mazda 323 that was so utterly boring ...

I got an old Mazda to fettle in the autumn time and have just about finished. It's a fun car.

IMG_0329.jpg

Â