What I miss about being down the (old) Villa - nostalgia

mottaloo

The safari that was the walk from Coventry station to the ground and back again !

Memories, memories, memories........

Remember 1 year coming off the train and being confronted with wall on one of the sides of the old terraced houses with freshly painted sign in huge letters, "We hate Villa".

Welcome to the jungle.

Shame we haven't been able to play them at home this season though!

Yeah I remember coming off the Villa special, then being herded like sheep to and from their shithole of a ground by the rozzers, they hated us and made no attempt to hide it.

Sunderland at home, last game in the old 2nd Div after we had been promoted. Left side, Right side, Celtic, Rangers. Getting my scarf nicked by a manyoo scum (I was 12. How hard). Taking my son to his 1st game against Wimbledon (1-0. Yorke). My first season ticket costing £15. But mostly, Watching Brian Little

Getting drenched standing on the open Witton end when you wanted a change from the Holte. League cup semi final against Man U to get us to Wembly to play Spuds.Climbing under a police horse to get into the Holte for Villa V Santos, 50k plus for a friendly "just" to see Pele. My dad breaking his glasses and not giving a stuff when we scored against Bournemouth in the old third division with another full house. Having several near strokes during the league cup semi against Blackburn, awesome old time atmosphere. All fabulous memories, a few of many. Haven't been down this season and have no intention untill satans ginger brother departs us, love memories, hate nightmares which is a shame as my dad is now in his late 80's and I'd like to go down with him a few more times.........

Being kept in at old trafford after full time and singing , TARZAN GIVE US A SONG,

thinking 20,000 was a decent crowd ,

disliking Liverpool with a passion that is still so strong today,

NOT giving a shit about blues because they were so shit,

Losing my match day cash en route from parking my ford cortina by nelson mandella house to the ground against swindon and missing the match , no cash machines then.

You and the villa , together on W.M.

Hey aston villa , hey aston villa , you are the team we love ,

You are the true boys , claret and blue boys

chorus ,

villla , villla , aston villa , aston villa , aston villa

some played this on a record to me , about 25 years ago and i think it was from the seventies.

anyone remember it ?

Getting drenched standing on the open Witton end when you wanted a change from the Holte. League cup semi final against Man U to get us to Wembly to play Spuds.Climbing under a police horse to get into the Holte for Villa V Santos, 50k plus for a friendly "just" to see Pele. My dad breaking his glasses and not giving a stuff when we scored against Bournemouth in the old third division with another full house. Having several near strokes during the league cup semi against Blackburn, awesome old time atmosphere. All fabulous memories, a few of many. Haven't been down this season and have no intention untill satans ginger brother departs us, love memories, hate nightmares which is a shame as my dad is now in his late 80's and I'd like to go down with him a few more times.........

Forget all the Mc(insert expletive), this is his new name.

You and the villa , together on W.M.

Hey aston villa , hey aston villa , you are the team we love ,

You are the true boys , claret and blue boys

chorus ,

villla , villla , aston villa , aston villa , aston villa

some played this on a record to me , about 25 years ago and i think it was from the seventies.

anyone remember it ?

Yeah, i do. Sung by "comedian" dave ismay. Used to be a matchday hospitality host, might still be. Bumped in to him a few times in my role as security blazer boy in north stand. Arrogant as ****, wouldnt mind if he had the talent to back it up with.

Not being able to go to VP untill 2006 my memories of these old days are a bit different.

Untill the 92793 season we here in Sweden could only see one game a week between November and March. So every tuesday I opened up the sport pages in the newspapers to see which game they'd show in the weekend. Mostly disappointed, but one or two times a season they showed Villa and I waited for the weekend all week long.

The game I remember the most was against Arsenal at Highbury. We won 2-1 with goals from Platt and Mountfield and that was the first time I remember seeing Daley and it was love at first sight. My biggest hero.

Other games were winning against Derby the same season. Losing to Arsenal and Forest 3-0 and 4-0 during Taylors first season with us in the top flight. Beating Forest 1-0 the season we went down. McMahon scored. Beating Man City 3-1 with Daley scoring a wonder goal. Beating Sunderland 3-1 with Dr. Jo as our manager. Platt returned from injury and scored emeidiatley. That was also Penrice first game since arriving from Watford.

Some of those results might be wrong, but I think they're the right ones.

I love to being able to watch Villa almost every weekend, but sometimes I miss those days. And the league was more competitive.

Not much of nostalgia for you who could be there, but for me it is. :) And I think many scandinavians recognise this too.

My first match was the 7-1 against Wimbledon in 1995, will never forget that day. Super Tommy Johnson hat-trick!

I remember sitting in the trinity as a 8 year old looking at the intimidating noise coming from the Holte thinking one day I'll watch a match from there.

The approach up to Villa Park from Aston Hall.

Going into Villa Village before the match to get Bosnich printed on my Black/Rainbow patches 'Muller' Goalie top.

watching ian taylor diving header winner v chelsea, watching mcgrath sprinting with peter ndlovu ! big paul stopped the ball carried on running a yard turned tto find the ball while ndlovu carried on running,big paul made him look a right muppet,class!

I just miss us being competitive

Ahhhh those were the days.... When we actually used to take the game to teams and show some steel

Yep, 80/81, 87/88, 89/90 and 92/93 were sure great times.

It has certainly been too long....

NOT HAVING THE INTERNET, the days when you could talk to your mates who had just been down

to the match, home and away, proper fans, who paid thier money and gave their time (no, their lives)

following us all over the UK and then Europe, fans you knew and if not agreed, understood their

points of view, now we have to listen to points of veiw from people who in some cases probably

have never ever been to VP, bring back the days of no www. and most importantly NO Sky TV.

OK I am an old git but was there again tonight, and will be renewing ST again next season.

God bless the Villa.

Â