What I miss about being down the (old) Villa - nostalgia

mottaloo

Seeing Nigel Kennedy's car outside the ground with its awesome paint job.

All ticket games being a crazy novelty.

The ball sailing over the roof of the Witton Lane stand.

Wondering whether the wooden seats were comfortable or not.

some1 yelling trying to sell me a evening meal after the game on way back to the car........... on no was some sort of newspaper :P

getting in the same turnstile as my dad for a quid, am sure there was at least 2k kids getting in that way.

telling my sister if she shouted "i love gary shaw" down my ear again i would give her a black eye.

The Villa Werewolf

I often read mention of this guy, and the only one that I think fits the era is the chap sitting behind the corner flag here, next to his dad.

Is this to whom you refer?

08042012191110.jpg

The away matches were the best just after we got into the old division one, leeds, liverpool, man utd, ect. Beating Spurs 4-1 at WHL when Ossie Ardiles and the other agentinian played for them. Clinging to the floodlight pylons at WBA at a night match, midweek. Thrashing the scousers 5-1 at Villa Park, the epic league cup finals against Everton and finally wining it at Old T brilliant and that fabulous day out at Highbury when we became champions and the whole European Cup final experience. Yes there was hooliganism and the food was crap at the grounds, but the whole experience was miles better and cheaper than now and the football was better!!!!!!

Saw my first game at villa park in 1998 against Leicester city, am I too young to comment. Villa Park stadium has not changed since then.

Of course you're not too young. Everything is history!

My earliest memory of VP.

As a child my family didn't have much money so i had never been to a football match, my dad could not afford to take himself let alone two kids (just aswell as my dad was a baggies fan)

I remember answering the door on boxing day, it was the next door neighbour who asked to speak to my mom. listening in i heard him tell her that he had planned to take his 3 kids to the villa utd match of that day, one of his sons had been up poorly that night so he had a spare ticket. I got the nod (my brother wasn't a big football fan) and i went to my first football match. we hammered them and poor old Less Sealey got hammered by the Holte.

The rest is history, it got into my blood.

I always think of that day because had my family have been better off there is no doubt my dad would have taken me to a baggies game, and who's knows where my loyalties would now lie.

If there is one bonus to growing up poor this surely is it :D:D:D

My dad parking on the old Bingo Hall and going in for the last 15 min of a game. Quite a sight.

The food sellers that walked at the front of the holte end with their orange food trays.

Standing on a stool that I carried in at the front of the holte.

The legend that is the Villa Warewolf (we should try and see if he still goes down)

Away games on Bowens Coaches.

The safari that was the walk from Coventry station to the ground and back again !

Memories, memories, memories........

Remember 1 year coming off the train and being confronted with wall on one of the sides of the old terraced houses with freshly painted sign in huge letters, "We hate Villa".

Welcome to the jungle.

Shame we haven't been able to play them at home this season though!

The Villa Werewolf

I often read mention of this guy, and the only one that I think fits the era is the chap sitting behind the corner flag here, next to his dad.

Is this to whom you refer?

08042012191110.jpg

Yeah he does still go down. I believe he frequents the Sty also occasionally. His collection of masks have given him infamy that he enjoys, bless him.

Just had shivers down me spine thinking about the AV floodlights.

If, and it's a big if, Lerner ever redevelops the North Stand I'd like to think some kind of AV lighting arrangement could be done with the floodlighst beaming down from that stand. A gable like the old Trinity Road one wouldn't go amiss on that side also.

Â