Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

Maybe that Xavier story the other day has legs :

http://tinyurl.com/yndjsx

Xavier contract concern for Boro

Abel Xavier

Xavier says he is committed to Middlesbrough

Middlesbrough defender Abel Xavier has revealed that a "special clause" in his contract could see him leave the club for free after 14 January.

"I have a special clause that releases me from my contract in 10 days," Xavier told BBC Radio Cleveland.

"For that reason, the club must act fast. The decision is not in my hands, but my total commitment is with Middlesbrough football club."

Xavier, 34, also revealed that several clubs were interested in signing him.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go back and read up again please not once did i say that he was at the hotel not once did i say that he was gonna sign for villa, what i did say was (on my 5 year old daughters life) my mrs rang up and they said they werent fwding any calls through or taking messages for mr defoe. FACT

Because he wasn't there?

That Xavier story just posted makes it look like he will be leaving Boro. Given that he only has 10 days to go, I'm sure if they wanted to keep him they would have sorted something out earlier. Seems possible that Boro just kept him on their books during the ban for good publicity.

Anyway, I would take him until the end of the season, although Bardsley would be my preferred choice out of all those names mentioned. Although I havent seen the lad from Leicester or Halford so I cant really judge!

Abel Xavier

Middlesbrough defender Abel Xavier has revealed that a "special clause" in his contract could see him leave the club for free after 14 January.

"I have a special clause that releases me from my contract in 10 days," Xavier told BBC Radio Cleveland.

"For that reason, the club must act fast. The decision is not in my hands, but my total commitment is with Middlesbrough football club."

Obviously :roll:

Abel Xavier

Obviously :roll:

Forget Xavier. Bardsley will be our player, we've been linked with him for ages, only makes sense that it will be us versus Sunderland for the guy.

I said a few months ago that I thought we would try and exploit the untapped markets like Eastern Europe and Africa. On seeing some of these latest link, it seems I may have been right (depending on their authenticity of course).

Seems like a bloody good idea to me, gettable talent at rock bottom prices.

I said a few months ago that I thought we would try and exploit the untapped markets like Eastern Europe and Africa. On seeing some of these latest link, it seems I may have been right (depending on their authenticity of course).

It's hardly a new and original idea, though, is it? The point is spotting the ones who will do well in a very different setting.

Nii Lamptey, anyone?

Completely agree, Arsenal have been taking the piss as far as getting all the talent from Africa is concerned and it's time we took the same path,

UtV

Interesting, another airport spy. Lets hope your info is as solid as 'The Trees' was in the Summer.

If Milan is going, surely we have something lined up. He must have gone out there to talk. If he's not even on the bench on Sunday, I imagine he'll be off.

im just sharing what i know and i hope so to i cant see him selling baros if we have know one coming in as our squad is so small, im just glad we a manager we can trust

I try not to be an arsehole about this kind of thing but if you want people to be able to read your posts, correct spelling and any sort of punctuation wouldn't go amiss.

Sorry to be a grind.

That Xavier story just posted makes it look like he will be leaving Boro. Given that he only has 10 days to go, I'm sure if they wanted to keep him they would have sorted something out earlier. Seems possible that Boro just kept him on their books during the ban for good publicity.

!

he wasnt kept on the books when he was banned, he left the club and started training with them again a few weeks before his ban was lifted

It's hardly a new and original idea, though, is it? The point is spotting the ones who will do well in a very different setting.

Nii Lamptey, anyone?

Who has been doing it though? There seems to be a lot of African and a little Eastern European talent floating about in the Spanish, French and Italian leagues and sometimes they make it over here via those countries. But it seems fairly rare for an English club to go straight to the source and take the gamble like they do.

There seems to be a stigma in this country related to Eastern Europe, even though they've produced some bloody good players and teams over the years.

he wasnt kept on the books when he was banned, he left the club and started training with them again a few weeks before his ban was lifted

Oh right :oops: Still it was nice of Boro to take him back.

Havent seen him play in a while, can he cross. The last thing i remember him doing was harrasing the linesman after Portugal lost in Euro 2000

Nii Lamptey, anyone?

Who has been doing it though? There seems to be a lot of African and a little Eastern European talent floating about in the Spanish, French and Italian leagues and sometimes they make it over here via those countries. But it seems fairly rare for an English club to go straight to the source and take the gamble like they do.

There seems to be a stigma in this country related to Eastern Europe, even though they've produced some bloody good players and teams over the years.

To be fair, there's been restrictions on the number of non-EU players you could use - so you have to be picky.

French clubs have often concentrated on the parts of Africa where they have colonial/linguistic connections, partly familiarity, partly because it's one less hurdle for incoming player to face, perhaps.

Spain has had similar ties with South America.

Maybe we haven't used our African links as well as we could have. And Eastern Europe probably has been underused.

On the other hand, I agree with the argument that we should be trying to develop our own players, not just going for the cheapest option. It's not been great in terms of winning games that we have finished with seven academy players on the pitch. But in the wider perspective of UK football, I'm quite proud that Villa have encouraged youth to this extent instead of doing a Bolton.

Watford is close to sign Hoskins and Williamson from Rotherham. Williamson is a midfielder...maybe same position as Ashley Young?

If they get the pair maybe Young is about to leave? To Villa? Well...it has been a rumour... :winkold:

Defoe still at Hoar Cross - with his agent - as of this afternoon. Couldn't give two **** who believes this but it's a fact. Just because he hasn't been rolled out for the cameras today doesn't mean he wont be before 31st of Jan. Here's hoping.