Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be honest, when I saw the Ferguson story I thought that he would be a great signing but as others point out, I think it is unlikely.

I would love to see some movement by the end of the week but I can't see it happening so quickly.

Would love SWP thought he would have chosen West Ham over us as they seem to be on the up & are in london so doesn't need to uproot, also were on the way down the table. Today West Ham were beaten 6-0 by READING which seems to suggest they are in real trouble and doesn't make them an attractive club to join!

O'Neill: We need to strengthen

By Lewis Rutledge - Created on 1 Jan 2007

Martin O'Neill is determined to strengthen his Aston Villa squad during the transfer window.

Villa made a fine start to the season under O'Neill but they have struggled in recent weeks and have failed to record a win in their last nine Premiership outings.

New owner Randy Lerner has promised to make funds available this month and O'Neill knows he has to act to get Villa's season back on track.

"I want to strengthen the squad if it's at all possible. We need some new players coming in," he admitted.

"I'm looking for players who are capable of lifting us up the league as quickly as possible and who are capable of doing a job for quite some time.

"That might not be quite as easy as we think - but we'll definitely be looking to strengthen."

O'Neill has had to rely on youngsters like Craig Gardner and Isaiah Osbourne this season, and he is eager to relieve the pressure on them by bringing in some new recruits.

"The younger lads are having to do too much in the sense of having to grow up three times more quickly than they would do normally," he explained.

"It will eventually stand them in good stead but it's something that we have to address. We need some players to help them."

Clicky

O'Neill forced to open chequebook

Last updated at 14:44pm on 1st January 2007

Martin O'Neill admits Aston Villa are beginning to crack beneath their over-reliance on youth - and he is ready to open Randy Lerner's chequebook to solve the problem.

Villa have dropped off alarmingly since the heady days of early November when O'Neill had inspired the club to a brief spell in third place in the Barclays Premiership.

They now sit in 12th following a winless run of nine games which could be extended when champions Chelsea visit Villa Park tomorrow night.

Injury has forced O'Neill to use academy products such as Craig Gardner and Isaiah Osbourne earlier than planned, and the former Celtic boss knows only a January spending spree will relieve the pressure on their young shoulders.

"I want to strengthen the squad if it's at all possible. We need some new players coming in," he said.

"The younger lads are having to do too much in the sense of having to grow up three times more quickly than they would do normally.

"It will eventually stand them in good stead but it's something that we have to address. We need some players to help them.

"I'm looking for players who are capable of lifting us up the league as quickly as possible and who are capable of doing a job for quite some time.

"That might not be quite as easy as we think - but we'll definitely be looking to strengthen."

Villa's poor form has simply made O'Neill's quest for reinforcements that bit more pressing.

"Regardless of the results over the last couple of weeks - obviously if we had a few more points there would be less anxiety about it - we would have done something in January," he said.

"I've known for some time that the squad needs strengthening. I'm not the only Premiership manager in that position.

"We need to improve the team. That's the most important thing."

Defeats against Manchester United, Tottenham and Charlton have left Villa without a single point from the Christmas schedule so far.

They looked on course for victory against Charlton on Saturday, after captain Gareth Barry gave them the lead from the penalty spot.

But they fell away in the second half, Barry shown a red card with half-an-hour to go - the England left-back will miss out against Chelsea - to compound their problems.

"The Charlton result was obviously disappointing, because we'd been playing reasonably well but lost," added O'Neill.

"That's been our story in recent weeks. We have to put it right and are obviously determined to do so, because we're in the results business.

"The whole point is to win, and I more than anyone know I have to put it right. It's all well and good playing nice football, but you have to win matches.

"That's what we're here to do. I thought Charlton was an opportunity to do that.

"I knew they would be buoyed by Alan Pardew's arrival and they showed a lot of spirit, as they did against Fulham last week.

"Even so I thought we were capable of winning the game and am disappointed we've got nothing to show for it."

Clicky

O'Neill desperate to splash cash

Martin O'Neill admits Aston Villa are relying too heavily on youth - and he is ready to open Randy Lerner's chequebook to solve the problem.

Villa have dropped off alarmingly since the heady days of early November when O'Neill had inspired the club to a brief spell in third place in the Premiership.

They now sit in 12th following a winless run of nine games which could be extended when champions Chelsea visit Villa Park on Tuesday night.

Injury has forced O'Neill to use academy products such as Craig Gardner and Isaiah Osbourne earlier than planned, and the former Celtic boss knows only a January spending spree will relieve the pressure on their young shoulders.

"I want to strengthen the squad if it's at all possible. We need some new players coming in," he said.

"The younger lads are having to do too much in the sense of having to grow up three times more quickly than they would do normally.

"It will eventually stand them in good stead but it's something that we have to address. We need some players to help them.

Villa's poor form has simply made O'Neill's quest for reinforcements that bit more pressing.

"Regardless of the results over the last couple of weeks - obviously if we had a few more points there would be less anxiety about it - we would have done something in January," he said.

"I've known for some time that the squad needs strengthening. I'm not the only Premiership manager in that position.

"We need to improve the team. That's the most important thing."

Defeats against Manchester United, Tottenham and Charlton have left Villa without a single point from the Christmas schedule so far.

They looked on course for victory against Charlton on Saturday, after captain Gareth Barry gave them the lead from the penalty spot.

But they fell away in the second half, Barry shown a red card with half-an-hour to go - the England left-back will miss out against Chelsea - to compound their problems.

"The Charlton result was obviously disappointing, because we'd been playing reasonably well but lost," added O'Neill.

"That's been our story in recent weeks. We have to put it right and are obviously determined to do so, because we're in the results business.

"The whole point is to win, and I more than anyone know I have to put it right. It's all well and good playing nice football, but you have to win matches.

"That's what we're here to do. I thought Charlton was an opportunity to do that.

"I knew they would be buoyed by Alan Pardew's arrival and they showed a lot of spirit, as they did against Fulham last week.

"Even so I thought we were capable of winning the game and am disappointed we've got nothing to show for it.

Clicky

Possibly, but getting hold of a player which shows an equal amount of talent from the Championship, would probably cost us twice the amount of money. If not more.

When I hear Dica, I think Balaban, and when I think Balaban, I want to sedate myself with prescription pain killers.

Why spend millions on some unknown Slav, when we can buy proven English players?

I hope this sentiment prevails at VP, because we need quality, not mystery.

That Dica bloke wont cut it i dont think. Some of those goals he put in in that You Tube clip the keepers in the Prem would have saved. Alot of the defending looked very shabby IMHO as well.

The one thing i did like tho was that he controlled the ball in the box, and shot on target.

I dont know if anybody else has raised the question of Barry Ferguson who has fallen out with Le Guen at Rangers.

I think he is a real possibility and just the kind of player we need in the middle....someone with real authority and leadership qualities. I have always rated him as a player even though he did not set the world alight at Blackburn.

story

Its been raised before. The two things against it are MON and his Celtic connection and probably more importantly how he doesn’t like it south of the Border. He’s now told his friends allegedly that he will never play for Rangers again, so he will get a transfer to anorther Scottish team? How many have the money necessary for signing him? Only arch rivals Celtic one would suspect or will he be like his brother (whose name escapes me) go to Hearts? He did ok at Blackburn when he came back from injury I thought. He has alot of qualities missing from our current squad, though he is injury prone. I guess we could tell him a little about our history, and how we play with a Rampant lion on our chests and a blue inspired by the Gers and he might come. (before our friends north of the border and Norway get on my back; its a bit tongue in cheek)

I think Barry Ferguson would be a good player for Villa, hed bolster the squad and if he can keep up his form that hes showing for Rangers hed be a good addition.................

Luis Boa Morte anyone, looked class again the weekend