Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what annoys me, is we get people complaining about us not spending money and then people complaining we spend too much money, People are blazing O'Neill for his purchase of Petrov at 8.5, This guy didnt have a pre-season with Villa remember. We have to pay the going rate, Only Lerner and O'Neil know what is worth it too the club, the interesting thing is when we had Ellis we spent millions on players who never had players who kept a value. Merson, Dublin, Stone, players who were at the latter end of there careers we spent over 15million on them, Now were trying to sign players who are young, not former internationals but current ones and were complaining. If we sign Bent and its a Big IF it will send a signal to people we mean business.

You know what annoys me, is we get people complaining about us not spending money and then people complaining we spend too much money, People are blazing O'Neill for his purchase of Petrov at 8.5, This guy didnt have a pre-season with Villa remember. We have to pay the going rate, Only Lerner and O'Neil know what is worth it too the club, the interesting thing is when we had Ellis we spent millions on players who never had players who kept a value. Merson, Dublin, Stone, players who were at the latter end of there careers we spent over 15million on them, Now were trying to sign players who are young, not former internationals but current ones and were complaining. If we sign Bent and its a Big IF it will send a signal to people we mean business.

You can’t mention Dublin and Merson in the same sentence as Stone. Stone was a major disappointment; we should have never bought him. Dublin and Merse were great servants for most of their Villa careers.

I remember Louis Saha going to United for around 12m and he was kind of the same type of player, playing good for a shitty club like Fulham. As well as Yorke. Didn't he leave for 12M? I think Darren Bent was better than Saha, and probably better than Yorke when he left us. It was when playing for United he really became a world-beater. Darren Bent is going to be sold for everything between 9M and 15M, depends on who and how many that is bidding for his services.

Is it absolute bollocks? I do not believe so.

No way is Bent better than Dwight Yorke was when he was with us.

If anyone thinks we'll be able to sign 6 players you're having a laugh. If we can get 2 or 3 in the January window it will be a job well done. There is very little business done at this time of year and you're only likely to tempt Championship clubs with big money or get Prem players not in the first XI. You might get a foreigner but MON has already stated he's not overly keen at the stage of the season given the settling in period.

Matt Taylor for £5million would defo solve our left back problem with ease. However I do not think Portsmouth would be likely to sell him in January, I hope they would though.

Still don't rate Crouch, let him go to Newcastle.

Regarding Darren Bent, Charlton will only sell him if they get an over the odds offer for him. They will not sell their best player (with the possibly exception of Young, who we should go for, should consolidate RB position) mid season and in a relegation battle. Only if they get extra money for him that can be used to buy other players will they sell. £12million would probably do it. Even though that is more than he is worth, it could be a good option to go for him now at that price instead of facing a lot of competition in the summer if Charlton get relegated (and I think they are now one of the favourites).

With Gabby, he is much more likely to be worth 10million than 2million. Yes he still requires improving but the potential is huge with him and that pushes the price up. Also I don't think MON and Lerner are interested in selling one of our brightest youngsters and therefore that will also push the price up. £10million is not an unrealistic value.

Matt Taylor for £5million would defo solve our left back problem with ease. However I do not think Portsmouth would be likely to sell him in January, I hope they would though.

Still don't rate Crouch, let him go to Newcastle.

Regarding Darren Bent, Charlton will only sell him if they get an over the odds offer for him. They will not sell their best player (with the possibly exception of Young, who we should go for, should consolidate RB position) mid season and in a relegation battle. Only if they get extra money for him that can be used to buy other players will they sell. £12million would probably do it. Even though that is more than he is worth, it could be a good option to go for him now at that price instead of facing a lot of competition in the summer if Charlton get relegated (and I think they are now one of the favourites).

With Gabby, he is much more likely to be worth 10million than 2million. Yes he still requires improving but the potential is huge with him and that pushes the price up. Also I don't think MON and Lerner are interested in selling one of our brightest youngsters and therefore that will also push the price up. £10million is not an unrealistic value.

Bang on there cyrusr

NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT BENT AT 5M !!!!!!!

I said risking 5M above his asking price at around 10M would be a gamble, which means 15M.

My point is; who are we to judge his value before he has ever played a match for us?

United paid 28M for Rooney, a kid that wasn't even better than Lee Hendrie at the time.

Absolute bollocks this is mate. Don't even think about Darren Bent being a world beater and why pay £5m more than his value? Gago is going to Real for £13m. £5M is a large premium for us to pay when ou turnover is around £50-60m.

You will know that price is determined by supply and demand, for £15m there are much better players around than Darren Bent. He could well be the next Michael Ricketts! Who?

Excuse me? Is it absolute bollocks when they said some months ago that 15M was the price they expected to get for him from Newcastle? I know they are pushing prices, but frankly does it matter? I am NOT saying we should pay 15M for Darren Bent, I think a reasonable price would be 11M or something. Not because of his value, that we do not know anything about before he has actually played and scored for this club on a regular basis. Based on what I believe we have available for transfers I wouldn't want to pay 15M.

I remember Louis Saha going to United for around 12m and he was kind of the same type of player, playing good for a shitty club like Fulham. As well as Yorke. Didn't he leave for 12M? I think Darren Bent was better than Saha, and probably better than Yorke when he left us. It was when playing for United he really became a world-beater. Darren Bent is going to be sold for everything between 9M and 15M, depends on who and how many that is bidding for his services.

Is it absolute bollocks? I do not believe so.

They could well get £15m from Newcastle because they have to pay well over the odds on wages or fees or both to sign players at the moment because they have been struggling. All agents love Newcastle. Yorke for Villa was a damn sight better than Bent has been for Charlton and Ipswich and for a longer period. And Villa weren't shit then either we were top 6 regular, Yorke weren't much better at United but he got more exposure than at Villa. I think Bent will go in the summer for around £8-9m after a transfer request when they go down.

There's no point in discussing the value of a player like Gabby because, for a start, he's not for sale. Secondly, no one really knows whether he's actually going to develop into a good all round striker or whether pace will always be his only asset.

We wouldn't sell him and no-one would want to buy him because it would be an inflated price and a gamble.

At present, he isn't worth anything like £10million, even including potential.

teamtalks linking us with a 12m bid for defoe. he is not worth that much. id not be happy with that much being spent on him.

I would it would be a steal - If MON wants him and we've got the cash I can't see a problem. Persoanlly I can't see Spurs letting him go for anything less than £15 million.

Can people stop talking about value and offers above 10M being crazy etc etc?

We are not going to be mediocre old Villa anymore for god's sake, we are going to

challenge for players and honours. Bigtime, not the measly shit that's been going on

the last few seasons.

We don't want the semi-good players on the cheap, we want the prooven ones at top

dollar! If you don't want to join the ride then go support Sheffield Wednesday or something.