Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

wedge

Stoke are a big team. It'll be a miracle if we don't ship a goal or two from set pieces. However their season is over and Pulis said as much last week, hopefully we'll be the more motivated team.

I think if we can control possession and show a bit of belief in our footballing ability we can win this one.

I do think we've started to move the ball better with all the kids in the side, we still get warnock putting balls down the channel for Gab to run onto, not a band tactic if he could actually keep the ball in play with them.

I'd go with:

Given.

Lichaj-Collins-Cuellar-Warnock.

Gardner-Herd-Ireland-Bannan

Wiemann-Gabby.

With that midfield we'd have to get the ball down and play it. Don't have much hope for N'Zogbia to be fireing if he has been injured. While this game is too early to start Curruthers.

Interesting to see people plumping for Carruthers to start. Is he really ready for a start in the PL, it seems very early for him.

It seems better to me to play a true winger than Bannan or Gardner out of position. I play Carruthers with the intention of if it doesn't work replace him at half-time.. I think it's worth a risk though as if Albrighton was fit he'd be playing instead and right now given his form he'd be a risk as well.

I do think we've started to move the ball better with all the kids in the side, we still get warnock putting balls down the channel for Gab to run onto, not a band tactic if he could actually keep the ball in play with them.

I'd go with:

Given.

Lichaj-Collins-Cuellar-Warnock.

Gardner-Herd-Ireland-Bannan

Wiemann-Gabby.

With that midfield we'd have to get the ball down and play it. Don't have much hope for N'Zogbia to be fireing if he has been injured. While this game is too early to start Curruthers.

If that team went out and got the ball down and played attacking football it would be good to watch. The only way that's likely to happen is if Grant and McLeish are securely tied to the dressing room radiators before kick off.

Interesting to see people plumping for Carruthers to start. Is he really ready for a start in the PL, it seems very early for him.

It seems better to me to play a true winger than Bannan or Gardner out of position. I play Carruthers with the intention of if it doesn't work replace him at half-time.. I think it's worth a risk though as if Albrighton was fit he'd be playing instead and right now given his form he'd be a risk as well.

I wouldn't really describe Carruthers as a true winger - he's not about beating his man down the outside and whipping balls across - he's more of a Nasri/Arteta style player.

I wouldn't start him today - I'd love to see him get on as a sub.

I wouldn't start him today - I'd love to see him get on as a sub.

yeah, ideal world give him half an hour in the second half when we're in the lead and see what he can do to create something for us. beat gerrard all ends up and was unfortunate to get booked for a dive when he came on the other day.

dunno if we'll have the luxury of a lead though, i think this game could be tougher than the pool game...

We all know stoke's strength's and weaknesses, if we try to match them with physicality and aerial duals, there will only be one winner today.

We've got to push high up the pitch to put they're lumbering defenders under pressure with the ball, then when we have possession keep the ball tight in midfield, using our quick footed more technically gifted players and work avenue's to get Gabby and Wiemann in behind the defence, With how few natural wide players we have and the dominant centre halfs in the middle, it will be a futile task trying to whip balls in to Weimann and Gabby, as they won't win many balls in the heavens against Shawcross and Huth. Also given the lack of any real pace in they're front line it wouldn't hurt to actually play a high line instead of defending from our 6 yard box.

If Cuellar, Weimman and N'Zogbia are fit to start then I would go with the following

..................Given

Hutton.Collins.Cuellar.Lichaj

N'Zogbia.Herd.Ireland.Warnock

...........Gabby.Weimman

Subs: Guzan, Baker, Gardner, Carruthers, Bannan, Heskey, Johnson/Grealish

Have we ever beaten stoke in the PL

I'm struggling to think of a win

Stoke have never won at Villa Park in the Premier League.

From the last 7 Premier League encounters, 4 drawn, Stoke 2, Villa 1 win.

I'd take a point again today!

Have we ever beaten stoke in the PL

I'm struggling to think of a win

From the BBC..

- Four of the previous seven Premier League meetings between the two sides, including the last two, have ended in draws. Stoke have two victories and Villa one.

- Stoke are yet to win at Villa Park in the Premier League.

Edit: Lol beaten..

Stoke are a huge team and very physical...

we are about as strong physically as an asthmatic ant...

we ain't gonna beat Stoke at their own game, we've gotta pass it around,so Mcleish is gonna have to miraculously turn into Wenger or the players need to ignore what he says..

if the players coming back are fully fit i'd like to see 442...

Given,Hutton,Collins,Cuellar,Warnock,Ireland,Herd,Bannan,Zogs,Gabby,Weimann...

what a painfully average line up that is..

so much work is needed to rebuild this team its scary

If we won today it would be such a good result.

I appreciate it's 'only Stoke', but the average age of our outfield side is probably little over twenty-one and in my opinion playing a team like Stoke just two days after grinding out a good draw at Anfield will be one of the most difficult tests the likes of Weimann, Lichaj and Baker (is Carlos definitely back?) et al will have ever faced.

Come on you Villa boys!

Carruthers looked decent the other day - An away game away at Liverpool needing a result a player might bottle it, he came on and won a penalty straight away, he looked to have good composure and technicall ability.

I hope for the same team and and Wienman in for Heskey.