• Ireland
    • Bannan
    • Herd
    • Gardner
    • Agbonlahor
    • Weimann
    • Albrighton (for Herd 70)
    • Heskey (for Weimann 82)

The same Baker who took the ball off Torres every time?

The same Baker who aleays tried to play the ball out to a Villa player?

The same Baker who always headed the ball out trying to maintain possession?

I was impressed with Baker today.I like the way he always tried to play the ball out, always tried to maintain posession, and has a bit of pace about him as well.

How was he at fault for the 2nd and 3rd?Never won the ball at the near post, and Given should have done better as well.

Overall, did'nt expect much today, pleased with Baker, Eric, Weimann and GG.Bannan was ok, Herd off the pace for me.

I've been impressed with Baker in the past. I'm not saying he's crap. He is at least built like a proper CB. But he made mistakes today that cost us, which is what you need to NOT do if you're a CB, no matter how many times you take the ball off Torres.

I really hope it was just a bad day for him. He clearly has a lot going for him, but he will only succeed if he cuts out the mistakes.

The ref was awful from the first minute, he missed at least two corners in the first half and it seemed every time a Chelsea player fell over he blew up.

I thought the overall performance was good considering the experience we had out there against a team that are in the qtr final of the chumps league.

My ratings:

Given - Good save from Torres early doors, lacks command of his area especially at set pieces. :6

Lichaj - Great performance, showed willing to get forward, good long throws and got a goal by gambling and following in. :8

Collins - Good showed some heart and made a nuisance of himself up front late on, no idea why a foul was given against him on Torres in a dangerous position. :7

Baker - Looked the novice he of course is, caught out of position frequently in the first 20 mins, improved in the 2nd half. :5

Warnock - Steady at best, awful crosses, caught too far forward early on exposing young Baker :6

Herd - Not good enough, woeful passing when in good positions. :5

Ireland - Best I've seen him, great effort even when the chips were down, quality on the ball not matched by his teamates. :8

Bannan - Played out wide and did his best out there, some good corners :6

Gardner - Played out wide not his best position and struggled when pushed onto his left foot, good effort though. :6

Wiemann - Great effort, I think this boy will score goals, good curving run to get himself in behind in the first half, never stopped running. Set up gabby for best chance of the first half :7

Gabby - Tried, should have done better with a chance that turned out to be offside, unlucky with a shot deflected onto the bar by Cech :6

Albrighton - Fantastic impact, great crosses - super sub is his best role! :8

Heskey - Brought a goal kick down on his chest (and actually got a foul from the ref!) in a dangerous position, good flick header brought a save from Cech. :6

I don't care what anyone else says, I am very proud of the effort put in by this young, very inexperienced team who had to battle against a slick and quick passing, very experienced Chelsea team and the REFEREE!

Of course a team like this will always lack overall quality; but pride in the shirt and effort they certainly didn't lack. An emotional day for the Club, Stan Petrov, supporters and me personally.

The media are now trying to drag us into the mix, given the recent resurgance for some of the bottom 5 strugglers. Don't believe it, get behind the team like you did today. With this spirit we'll be alright. And give the manager a break like he was given today. Recriminations, if any are needed, must come at the end of the season.

I don't care what anyone else says, I am very proud of the effort put in by this young, very inexperienced team who had to battle against a slick and quick passing, very experienced Chelsea team and the REFEREE!

Of course a team like this will always lack overall quality; but pride in the shirt and effort they certainly didn't lack. An emotional day for the Club, Stan Petrov, supporters and me personally.

The media are now trying to drag us into the mix, given the recent resurgance for some of the bottom 5 strugglers. Don't believe it, get behind the team like you did today. With this spirit we'll be alright. And give the manager a break like he was given today. Recriminations, if any are needed, must come at the end of the season.

In one sense it was nice to see the youth in the team and we can take pride in the way we played at times during that game, but things are stacking up against us at the wrong time in the season, we are losing players left right and centre and with it all the experience we have in the team.

It is easy to flame Eck for his team selections and that one did have a pretty odd balance and lack of width, dropping Albrighton was a bad move - not because he hasn't been poor but because we have already lost three experience players before the game - and Alby may be underpeforming but he's no rookie!

We can't buy luck at the moment and we have lost our club captain in the most tragic of circumstances. Getting rid of Reo Coker and loaning Makoun out look like piss poor decisions when you consider how utterly devoid of experience and confidence our midfield is. But no point in chewing on the past - Eck is running out of time to cobble together a team that can get 6 points at least out of the remaining games.

The question is who is there left to gamble on?

People were crying out for the width of Grealish or Carruthers in this game - and Albrighton has to start, but Eck is unlikely to make such a positive but dangerous gamble on anymore youth as playing Baker really cost us today.

so yeah i think we're **** really as i can't see any one player left in the team who is going to stop us conceding or score goals or even set up goals.

the future is painfully bleak.

To those who say we did well today, excuses will not gain us the points we need to survive in the Premiership. Unless Lerner sacks AM before our remaining games, we are nailed on to be relegated.

Difficult to lay the blame at anyone but those in charge, Lerner, Faulkner and the ginger clearing in the woods. Okay I understand injuries are part and parcel of football but we are down to the bare bones.

I'm proud of the youngsters for giving it a go, ideally they would each be brought through at the right time for them to be able to develop but with so many players out and a ginger clearing in the woods calling the shots they have little chance but they at least gave it a go and for that I support them and thank them.

We are in big trouble though.

Was at the game today and can't fault the level of effort from the lads, in particular some of those who are not regular starters for us. You have to put into perspective that we fielded a team of novices against seasoned internationals, but we get torn apart in midfield regularly whoever we play, and we weren't exactly brilliant at keping possession even in the heady days of Barry and Milner. We'll win games before the end of the season if we can continue to play like that, but how long will the 'Petrov effect' last is my worry. I feel that had a lot more to do with our performance than anything else today.

Given - 6 - Made a couple of good saves and was weaker in the areas we all know he is. So why have we not worked to legislate for this all season?

Lichaj - 7 - Thought he played well when he came into the side last season and was impressed again today. He wasn't faultless but he offers as much if not more than Hutton thanks to those long throws

Collins - 7 - I've only been impressed by him a couple of times in the last few seasons, generally when he plays with less experienced defensive partners i.e. Clark and Baker. Perhaps he takes a different approach or likes the responsibility?

Baker - 5 - Baptism of fire for the poor lad. Undone at times by simply better players. It isn't his fault and we shouldn't be too hard on him. Did some things well in open play.

Warnock - 7 - Best game for ages. His crossing is ineffectual but we always knew that. Given his age and inconsistency I can see us looking for a replacement in the summer.

Herd - 5 - Struggled today I thought, particularly in the first half, but it's a tough role in an inexperienced midfield and Mata and Lampard are excellent players. It wasn't an easy task

Gardner - 6 - Better than Herd. I really see something in him. Strange to play him on the left but he was tidy I thought in general play

Bannan - 6 - Jekyll and Hyde performance as usual. There seems to be an assumption amongst our coaching staff that he is more versatile than he is in reality I feel. Improved as the game wore on. So many high balls played to him today though which he will never be able to win.

Ireland - 6 - Tidy and composed, but most of all forward thinking. Couldn't control the game today as one would hope, but that is hardly surprising. Our best stuff will come through him more often than not.

Weimann - 7 - My MOTM. He worked his socks off even after picking up a knock, caused problems, and had the confidence to have a go at Agbonlahor for not doing likewise. That goal against Fulham seems to have done a lot for his confidence.

Agbonlahor - 5 - Going though a slump in form. We can't really afford that right now but we have no-one else. I guess had his first half shot gone in or he had not been incorrectly penalised agsinst in the second half that could have all changed.

I think we could well go down now. How many teams could cope without players like Bent, Dunne, N'Zogbia and Petrov in a relegation battle? Mcleish just couldn't take advantage of the good times and now we just have to keep trying hard and praying for other results to go our way.

On a final note, brilliant scenes from both sets of fans for Petrov today. Both before the game and at the 19th minute I was moved by the tributes to a real gentleman of the game. I'm sure we'll do all we can for him in the tough times he has ahead. As his fellow countryman urged, 'Be Strong Stan'.

conclusions from the game:

exciting, attacking football from the youngsters. and yet we're still in the shit.

lee mason is a chelsea fan.

chelsea fans are classless words removed.

villa fans are **** retarded. applauding cahill onto the field? clueless.

enjoyed the tributes to stan. get well soon captain fantastic.

conclusions from the game:

exciting, attacking football from the youngsters. and yet we're still in the shit.

lee mason is a chelsea fan.

chelsea fans are classless words removed.

villa fans are **** retarded. applauding cahill onto the field? clueless.

enjoyed the tributes to stan. get well soon captain fantastic.

Agree with everything except the Cahill comment...

It's not as if he left through any anymosity...

It's not as if he left for more money...

It's not as if he left for Champions League football...

And it's not as if he left because he thought he was better than the team...

He left because he couldn't get a regular spot...

And he went to a club (at the time) below us in the standings...

The fact that he now is deemed good enough to come off the bench for Chelsea is probably more of a reflection of the management that let him go, more so than the player himself and any supposed "loyalty" he should have had...

Applauding him for achieving that is clueless? :shock:

Dear me...

I won't clap Cahill on, certainly not after him cupping his ears at the Villa fans after he scored against us for Bolton.

Was disappointed with the result - gutted at the two late goals conceded, and the softness of the 2nd and 3rd (Collins should have been on Ivanovic, anyone knows he's their most dangerous defender when attacking a set piece.

Very disappointed with Herd. Gabby poor first half got better as the game went on. Given not enough command of the area, he needs to impress that on the players given we have no leader at the back. Baker alright. Not a fan but he played ok. Weimann gave his all, clearly picked up an ankle injury (same one as v Rapid Wien?) but harassed Terry a lot and put them under pressure. Faded a bit but good again. Lichaj bit nervous defending, three of the goals came from his side, though as said, set pieces need to be defended better. 10 academy players were involved, with more on the bench for us.

Against an in-form side, with a stricken side, in poor form, we gave it a shot and showed good balls to come back from 2 goals down against one of the best sides in the country, who were also aided by an appallingly biased refereeing display. I reckon if he hadn't given that blatant Terry dive we'd have netted a third and won the game. Poor officiating throughout.

We do need to win though, and despite what people say we have opportunities to do that. Liverpool away is winnable, so is Stoke at home. If effort is put in we can achieve something.

We need to show our character.

Also good touch by Lichaj, vandalising the pitch but for an entirely just cause. And applause for Petrov was breathtaking. Some Chelsea fans showed class (and I liked the training shirts worn_ but some are utter words removed.

Onwards.

villa fans are **** retarded. applauding cahill onto the field? clueless

Really? I'll always applaud the lad for that goal he scored against small heath.

Never can 1 goal have led to such a long lasting love in of someone who as a young and pretty average centre half threw their toys out because they couldn't be guaranteed a starting place.

Was a brilliant moment though.

Thought we were done over by a shambles of a refereeing performance yesterday. Their first goal, Baker takes a kick to the face from Torres which you can guarantee would've been given as a foul down the other end. The main turning point though was the 'foul' by Gabby on Terry when he would have been clean through. I'm not saying he would have scored because we know his one on one capabilities, but this incomprehensible decision led directly to the corner from which they scored and all our momentum was knocked out of us. On top of this, Mason was constantly penalising our players all game, particularly giving fouls on Cahill and Terry which were just 50 50 challenges.

Weimann MOTM for me for all his hard work, he must continue to start. Closely followed by Lichaj (who I would like to keep his place over Hutton) and Ireland, who is our most important player at the moment and also put in a real shift in CM with some brilliant tackles as well as his attacking nous.

It was an emotional moment that 19th minute and I'm so glad it worked so well with everyone up on their feet bang on the turn of the minute. Didn't notice what Lichaj was scraping into the pitch after his goal at the time but what a lovely touch to do a 19.

THe wins for teams below us are worrying but if we can have Carlos back soon (Baker struggled but to be fair I'm fairly sure it was his first ever game in the PL as a CB) I still think we should be just about okay. Also props to Heskey, thought he was actually alright when he came on for once! And Albrighton also did very well off the bench, but he should be starting over two central midfielders on the wings.

Thought we were done over by a shambles of a refereeing performance yesterday.

Strange that because I thought we were 'done over' by a Chelsea team that scored two more goals than we did during the 90 minute game.

Whilst I admit that the decision to award Chelsea a free kick when John Terry appeared to 'fall over' because he was not quick enough to deal with Gabby and that then lead to a situation where Chelsea scored from a corner probably affected the final result, I also have to admit that we only looked like a team with any ability to score for a very short period in which Collins and Lichaj actually did score.

The truth of the matter is that although the referee was lacking in ability to make the correct decisions on a few occasions, we never looked like a better team than Chelsea or likely to win it.

The best referee in the world could not have positively affected the outcome of the game and blaming the referee for our defeat against Chelsea really is trying to find something that does not exist.

blaming the referee for our defeat against Chelsea really is trying to find something that does not exist.

Or just stating my opinion? It was not a reactionary post, I feel the exact same about it now as I did when i walked out of VP yesterday afternoon. Two of their goals would have been prevented by the referee getting the decisions correct.

Â