Mortgage - fixed or tracker?

Risso

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not go half-and-half?

I take the same attitude when deciding between still or fizzy mineral water.

I reckon this guy was thinking he should have taken your attitude when deciding still or fizzy...........!

Many of the lenders have put their rates up recently. If you go for a tracker try one of the smaller lenders discounted variables because they don't tend to put their rates up that often. The board normally has to meet before they can put their standard variable rate up, whereas with the bigger lenders like HSBC etc THEY will put ALL their tracker mortgages up almost immediately the bank base rate changes.

Personally I have one of those offset One Account mortgages because it suits my circumstances...ie I never know when I'm going to get money through!

Not sure how many UK lenders will cover the Isle of Man but one of the smaller lenders in NW was offering a cracking fee free & free legals fixed & variable re-mortgage deal. They were inundated though so had to close the book until they catch up.

Everyone thinks the comparison websites have all the best deals. They don't..they get paid big commissions and they are not whole of market.

No UK lenders will, we're stuck with about four banks, ie HSBC, Lloyds, Barclays and IOM Bank (which is owned by Natwest). I'm going to stay with my current lender, just not sure which deal to pick. I'm leaning towards the 5 year fixed though.

i'm going to remortgaging soon, and i'm definitely going to go tracker.

i don't expect interest rates to rise much (if at all) in the next 2 years, and in 2 years time i'll be re-mortgaging again.

so a lot cheaper to go on variable rather than fixed.

Â