Villa Pre Season 2012/2013

andykeenan

Brilliant, we can't even get games against decent MLS teams

They all suck, who cares?

I'd be more concerned that 2 of the 3 cities are shit.

Only Chicago is a really good town.

The Portland game might be fun, because their supporters are very enthusiastic. They have some guy with a chainsaw roaming around there though, that's a little concerning.

Chicago Fire have 78,000 fans on FIFA 12 which is way more than any other MLS club.

Any particular reason for this?

Huge Central American and Mexican population there

For the record we have one of the smallest fan bases in the US, we are outnumbered by West Ham and Newcastle by at least 20-1, well outnumbered by Everton, outnumbered by Fulham, Norwich, Leeds, Blackburn

I can understand West Ham with the London thing and Elijah Wood as an unconvincing hooligan but what's going on with these other clubs? How do Newcastle have 20 times our support in the USA? Norwich FFS we have an American owner and goalkeeper, until recently. I'm not questioning your stats just trying to find out why this has happened.

Newcastle is mixed there's a lot of Geordie ex-pats over here probably cause most people want to get as far away from the Newcastle as they can. The origin of American Newcastle fans is uncertain possibly in part it's down to that silly "Goal" film and possibly cause they were marketed in America at just about the right time.

No idea where the Norwich fans have come from, for the most part they are Ex-Pats but there's loads of them across multiple pubs it's almost like some group of pranksters taking the piss.

West Ham interestingly enough are almost all Ex-Pats, I think you get the odd kid who see Frodo in the Hooligan film and goes out to be a West Ham fan, after about ten minutes with the real West Ham fans they tend to **** off and support Arsenal or Chelsea instead.

In terms of Villa numbers we are 50% ex-pats and the other 50% Americans who sadly for them didn't know any better. It's strange tho, not only do we not have many Brummie Villa ex-pats around, you rarely meet anyone living over here who's from the midlands.

For the record we have one of the smallest fan bases in the US, we are outnumbered by West Ham and Newcastle by at least 20-1, well outnumbered by Everton, outnumbered by Fulham, Norwich, Leeds, Blackburn

I can understand West Ham with the London thing and Elijah Wood as an unconvincing hooligan but what's going on with these other clubs? How do Newcastle have 20 times our support in the USA? Norwich FFS we have an American owner and goalkeeper, until recently. I'm not questioning your stats just trying to find out why this has happened.

Newcastle is mixed there's a lot of Geordie ex-pats over here probably cause most people want to get as far away from the Newcastle as they can. The origin of American Newcastle fans is uncertain possibly in part it's down to that silly "Goal" film and possibly cause they were marketed in America at just about the right time.

No idea where the Norwich fans have come from, for the most part they are Ex-Pats but there's loads of them across multiple pubs it's almost like some group of pranksters taking the piss.

West Ham interestingly enough are almost all Ex-Pats, I think you get the odd kid who see Frodo in the Hooligan film and goes out to be a West Ham fan, after about ten minutes with the real West Ham fans they tend to **** off and support Arsenal or Chelsea instead.

In terms of Villa numbers we are 50% ex-pats and the other 50% Americans who sadly for them didn't know any better. It's strange tho, not only do we not have many Brummie Villa ex-pats around, you rarely meet anyone living over here who's from the midlands.

I have a feeling that a lot of American Toon supporters picked them because they had the Newcastle beer logo on the shirt, and Newcastle beer was big over here in the mid to late 90's...

My experience in the states, most Americans have never heard of the Midlands. I remember one guy asking me if Birmingham was on the coast.

Not an outrageous question, given you're an island nation.

Would you believe I had a Bluenose roommate from Brum here in Boston...I ended up kicking him out cuz he turned out to be such a clearing in the woods....my first real lesson in Blunoseology....

I can understand if they're ex-pats. I was having trouble picturing groups of Americans getting to the pub early to watch Norwich or Blackburn.

I'd get curious looks stepping into the pub wearing my Villa shirt, surrounded by people in red tops....never saw any Norwich or Blackburn shirts in Boston.

It's all Sky Four, English, Irish and Americans alike.

I know an Irish bartender who is a big Spurs fan. There was a Bolton supporter from Bolton that used to come down to the pub.

But now we get the games on TV at home, so that pub community isn't what it used to be. Between 1992 and 2000, the pub was the only place to watch English football. Some good times, with the Guinness flowing at 10AM :lol:

And a nice little racket the pubs had, too. They were making a KILLING on Sat and Sun mornings, when most bars would be dead, or closed.

In case anyone is thinking of travelling across from England to the Chicago game, have a check at the prices from Dublin. I'm a poor student going across the Atlantic a couple of times a year, and I've always found Dublin cheaper than London or Frankfurt or Paris. And Aer Lingus have the nicest planes, too. (PS Expedia is yer only man.)

scottb51 and usvilla - how do matches in America work? Will the Villa fans be in a certain section? Basically, am I better off buying tickets from AVFC than Ticketmaster?

For the Crew game five years ago, you could get in touch with the Crew's ticket office for tickets in the Villa section (with a commemorative scarf thrown in, and maybe even entry to some pregame festivities).

In case anyone is thinking of travelling across from England to the Chicago game, have a check at the prices from Dublin. I'm a poor student going across the Atlantic a couple of times a year, and I've always found Dublin cheaper than London or Frankfurt or Paris. And Aer Lingus have the nicest planes, too. (PS Expedia is yer only man.)

scottb51 and usvilla - how do matches in America work? Will the Villa fans be in a certain section? Basically, am I better off buying tickets from AVFC than Ticketmaster?

I am in section 132 - i think Villa section is 134

i got them from tickectmaster $43 each

i agree with your Aer Lingus coment - i just got back from Uk

flew into BHX - nice A330 , will definately do it that way again

cheaper too ! Aer Lingus web site is same price as search engines

& cheaper than some !

Â