Villa Pre Season 2012/2013

andykeenan

Really wanted to go to Philly this summer but it's annoying the game is midweek. Going to Columbus a few years back was brilliant; I remember asking their goalkeeper at a club afterwards what it was like to be beaten by an Ashley Young shot!

Brilliant, we can't even get games against decent MLS teams

Eh.. I think the tour is less about testing our mettle but more about building confidence. It doesn't matter who you play, if you win all your pre-season games you go into the new season on a high and I think that is the goal here. Sure we could easily have a pre-season where we play Real Madrid and Barcelona etc, but we'll just go into the new season with confidence shot after losing each game by more than 10 goals.

The way McStupid slags off the players ( saying that Swansea and Norwich have better players ) etc our players will need to build up their confidence ( not to mention their spirit ) but I don"t know if we will win all our preseason games if we play teams of a higher standard than Notts Co and Millwall etc

Brilliant. People really will moan about anything on here won't they?!

think its just playing to the crowd at this stage. Probably blaming McLeish next that we havent got friendlies with Barcelona and Real Madrid

Well, it depends on what you like to do. If you go to Philly, there are some things to do for a day, and you are a short train ride/drive away from New York City.

Portland is nice and outdoorsy if that's your thing, but it is far away. Chicago is a great city with a lot to do for a couple of days for sure. If you were going to only one for 2-3 days, I would recommend Chicago for food, nightlife, music.

Out of those cities in the US, anyone got a view/experience of the best one to go to for 2/3 days

Chicago is a cracking City with loads to do, shops, restaurants, bars, museums. Well worth a visit regardless of the Villa game. Also later in the Summer the lake gets lovely and warm and is great to swim in with lovely beaches north of the city.

Philly isn't bad, lots of history, decent nightlife and some good stuff worth seeing like Eastern State penitentiary and the Museum of Art. you could make a decent holiday of it by going to NYC, Atlantic City and Philly over a week or Six Flags if you had kids. DC is also an option.

I know little or nothing about Portland.

Thanks for that, looks like Chicago then, must try the pizza too while in the town as its one of their biggest exports

Good choice, Chicago is a great city in the summer (to damn cold in the winter). I have never been to Portland which is why I am looking at that and Portland have some great supporters. They have a waiting for season tickets and create a tremendous atmosphere. Just hope they all show up for the Villa game.

For the record we have one of the smallest fan bases in the US, we are outnumbered by West Ham and Newcastle by at least 20-1, well outnumbered by Everton, outnumbered by Fulham, Norwich, Leeds, Blackburn

I can understand West Ham with the London thing and Elijah Wood as an unconvincing hooligan but what's going on with these other clubs? How do Newcastle have 20 times our support in the USA? Norwich FFS we have an American owner and goalkeeper, until recently. I'm not questioning your stats just trying to find out why this has happened.

Â