Villa Pre Season 2012/2013

andykeenan

I'll go to the Philly and Chicago game only on condition that I can head on on the piss with Barry Bannan in Atlantic City between games.

Although I am glad to see Villa coming back over here I really wish it happened before we became the **** laughing stock of the league.

Brilliant, we can't even get games against decent MLS teams

you could see it that way, or you could see it as us playing the MLS teams that not everyone plays every year so in theory its easier to tap in to that fan base

iirc utd played at philadelphia last year and chicago have been about for ages so no doubt they'll have played a prem team before, but portland?

whats the point in us playing say galaxy or NYRB in the hope of winning over fans who see 5/6 far bigger/better european teams every summer

shame we arent playing chivas for the angel reunion though

Philly were MLS playoff semi finalists.

Chicago have won 15 trophies since including leagues, playoff finals and cup competitions since 1998.

Portland last year were 6th in their conference.

Portland did beat Beckhams Galaxy 3-0 and also beat Independiente from Argentina 2-0 last year so to say the 3 teams are not decent is a bit unfair, especially Chicago Fire who have been a very succesful team in the states.

If its not LA Galaxy or New York Red Bulls people assume all the other teams are shite.

It should be a good tour IMO and it would be good to get some coverage stateside. My only concern is having McLeish at the helm and making us globally known for being shit

whats the point in us playing say galaxy or NYRB in the hope of winning over fans who see 5/6 far bigger/better European teams every summer

Not going to win over any US fans by playing over here, regardless of who we play. It just doesn't work that way over here. American fans pick teams for a number of reasons: teams that have American players, teams that play good football, glory hunting, because of whom Bill Simmons tells them to support, randomly purchasing the shirt cause they like the style, liking the team name and finally cause they have some connection to Birmingham.

Villa may have picked up a mere handful of fans the last time we were in Toronto and Columbus but you'll find that the fans who go to watch the MLS games are already big fans of the sport and already have a Premiership team that they follow.

For the record we have one of the smallest fan bases in the US, we are outnumbered by West Ham and Newcastle by at least 20-1, well outnumbered by Everton, outnumbered by Fulham, Norwich, Leeds, Blackburn, not to mention the usual candidates Arse, Spuds, Man UTD/City, Liverpool, Chelsea. In terms of overseas support we are a small, small club and no number of summer tours to the US is going to change that while we continue to play shit football and sell our best players. Might as well have a warm-up tour in Wales.

It should be a good tour IMO and it would be good to get some coverage stateside. My only concern is having McLeish at the helm and making us globally known for being shit

Haha!!

Nah, should be good to help us prepare for the season ahead. I wonder who the first away game will be - I recon Derby or Leicester?

Eh.. I think the tour is less about testing our mettle but more about building confidence. It doesn't matter who you play, if you win all your pre-season games you go into the new season on a high and I think that is the goal here. Sure we could easily have a pre-season where we play Real Madrid and Barcelona etc, but we'll just go into the new season with confidence shot after losing each game by more than 10 goals.

I like it. don't care what others say, these teams will give us a game. Not going to Philly but Chicago and then onto Portland could be on.

Portland have great supporters. At least from what I have seen of them they do. Stayed in the same hotel as Villa when they came to Columbus. Great couple of days - even though that city had nothing to offer.

I like it. don't care what others say, these teams will give us a game. Not going to Philly but Chicago and then onto Portland could be on.

Portland have great supporters. At least from what I have seen of them they do. Stayed in the same hotel as Villa when they came to Columbus. Great couple of days - even though that city had nothing to offer.

i was staying in that hotel in Columbus too. O'Neill and Barry were very approachable and spoke with me and my dad. Gary Cahill was also very chatty with the fans.

I'm going to Philadelphia and Chicago this time around.

whats the point in us playing say galaxy or NYRB in the hope of winning over fans who see 5/6 far bigger/better European teams every summer

Not going to win over any US fans by playing over here, regardless of who we play. It just doesn't work that way over here. American fans pick teams for a number of reasons: teams that have American players, teams that play good football, glory hunting, because of whom Bill Simmons tells them to support, randomly purchasing the shirt cause they like the style, liking the team name and finally cause they have some connection to Birmingham.

Villa may have picked up a mere handful of fans the last time we were in Toronto and Columbus but you'll find that the fans who go to watch the MLS games are already big fans of the sport and already have a Premiership team that they follow.

For the record we have one of the smallest fan bases in the US, we are outnumbered by West Ham and Newcastle by at least 20-1, well outnumbered by Everton, outnumbered by Fulham, Norwich, Leeds, Blackburn, not to mention the usual candidates Arse, Spuds, Man UTD/City, Liverpool, Chelsea. In terms of overseas support we are a small, small club and no number of summer tours to the US is going to change that while we continue to play shit football and sell our best players. Might as well have a warm-up tour in Wales.

:(

I will be going to the Chicago game as it is only 60 miles from my home. The Chicago Fire are a decent side this year and would hope Villa fans take the time to give them a look. Went to Columbus and had a great time when Villa were over. You folks may not have a high opinion of MLS teams but there are quality sides here and will give the lads a good scrape. Fire played Man U last summer. Looking forward to July 21st. UTV!

Â