The 2012 VillaTalk.com CORPORATE dead pool

mjmooney

Coffee #1 in Chepstow.

Costa have just moved in right across the road, so i fear it could be curtains for my favourite coffee shop.

Coffee#1 is a Brains franchise yeah?

A rare smart move from the local brewer.

I'm torn on Costa, I genuinely like their coffee, but I'm just a bit worried they're killing everything else off.

if you're up and down the motorway and the pit stop choice is 'upper crust', 'macdonalds', 'starbucks' or 'costa' then there really is no competition

I agree. Starbucks.

Anyway... did anybody have JJB Sports?

• 1 month later...

HMV being supported with £40m from suppliers

Music publishers and film studios are desperate to see the beleaguered high street chain prosper as internet retailers erode their margins and online piracy damages sales.

HMV, whose market value now stands at just £14m, is on Thursday due to publish its interim results and update on Christmas trading.

In September the company warned that sales were down almost 12pc but said that this should improve in the run-up to Christmas with the launch of products such as the Nintendo Wii console, a new One Direction album, and the Dark Knight Rises DVD.

According to industry sources, HMV is being helped in the run-up to Christmas by an estimated £40m of financial support from suppliers.

The backing follows HMV’s deal earlier this year to “change the nature” of its relationship with key suppliers such as Universal and Disney.

It is understood that HMV has secured greater access to music and film suppliers’ back catalogues and is buying stock on consignment, meaning the retailer pays only for products if it sells them.

Suppliers have also taken a 2.5pc stake in HMV after activating warrants that were issued over the shares.

The retailer’s last financial results in August show it had already booked £15m to its income statement following the deal with suppliers.

Since then, Trevor Moore, the former boss of photography chain Jessops who took over at HMV in September, has stepped up his efforts to win the backing of suppliers.

HMV, which was founded on Oxford Street in London in 1921, declined to corroborate the level of support from suppliers. The company said: “We would never disclose the nature of supplier relationships.”

Another blow for Tamworth as another of its fairly big employers bit the dust yesterday :-( Link

Job losses as Drive Assist UK goes into administration

Drive Assist employs 640 people at 14 offices in Staffordshire and Nottingham

A Staffordshire-based firm which provides cars to people who have had accidents has made 259 people redundant after going into administration.

Drive Assist UK Ltd, which has its headquarters in Tamworth, employs 640 people at 14 offices.

Administrators said that included two other firms it owns, Sol Car Rentals in Tamworth, and Millennium Motor Group in Nottingham.

A total of 229 of the jobs were lost at its Tamworth sites.

A spokeswoman said 179 jobs had been lost from the Fazeley site, while 50 were going from the Ventura site.

The remaining 30 were going from its other locations across the country.

'Most appropriate steps'

Alastair Beveridge, from Zolfo Cooper, said administration was "the only option available" because the firm had lost a major customer which "had resulted in increasing cash flow pressures."

He said: "We will be working alongside all stakeholders to determine the most appropriate next steps for the benefit of all creditors."

Drive Assist UK supplies cars on short-term hire to people after accidents, and Sol Car provides short-term car rental for private and corporate clients.

The Millennium Motor Group at Nottingham Auto Park, in Mapperley sells ex-fleet vehicles, administrators said.

Another blow for Tamworth as another of its fairly big employers bit the dust yesterday :-( Link

How very odd that the MP for Tamworth, Pincher, chose today to use PMQs to congratulate Cameron on the fall in youth unemployment, and ask him to meet to discuss how to "promote employment still further" in Tamworth.

Perhaps he's happy with the continued destruction of jobs and their replacement with part-time, lower-paid, often zero-hours jobs instead. After all, if the figures show an increase in the number of countable jobs, what matter that everyone is worse off? All part of making the labour force more "flexible".

• Like 1

Possibly behind on this one, but THQ are a good bet for dead soon. They will need to be very lucky to see another Christmas, and even then it will be a fundamentally different (not least smaller) company.

Are they going bust then Maqroll? Or was this one for the things that cheer you up thread? Sounds fecking lovely though, can you get it in the uk?

Nah, I was just responding to the coffee posts a little way back up this thread...that said, their main warehouse took considerable damage in Hurricane Katrina. You'd probably have to search far and wide in the UK to find Luzianne. It's hard to find outside the southern US...but well worth the effort

• 1 month later...

What site have I been using then?

Play are ditching their retail setup and going with the part of their business thats similar to amazon marketplace.

ender4 beat me to it.

Edited by Seat68

Thing is - there must be a way to make HMV work as a business - even with a smaller retail presence

There is (or was). Unfortunately the cretins in charge didn't act years ago - except to give themselves 50% payrises, let lots of staff go, set up massive impractical loans (and leave before the account had to be settled - whilst having the gall to tell everyone he'd done a good job. Simon Fox, now head of Mirror Group, you are a prick) and come up with a variety of shit, shit ideas.

Not opening the website to private sellers. Not nurturing the catalogue (simply merging the suppliers and stores database was an obvious but overlooked step). Insane pricing (£26 pounds for a single CD soundtrack - £4 for the nice new George Harrison book). Still no listening facilities - I mean FFS really?

If they'd spent as much time looking at what customers wanted, rather than what they wanted to give to customers (fashion, warranties, points cards and that shit they always offer on the till), they wouldn't be in this crap.

This country needs a suit cull.

machete.jpg

• Like 1

Â