RIP Jocky Wilson

villaajax

I'm surprised this hasn't already been posted but Darts legend Jocky Wilson has died.

Jocky Wilson dies two days after turning 62

Two-time world darts champion Jocky Wilson died on Saturday night at the age of 62.

Wilson turned professional in 1979 and rose to fame after he claimed the 1982 and 1989 World Championships.

A Fife police spokeswoman told the BBC: "The death is non-suspicious and due to a medical matter."

Tommy Cox, who managed Wilson from 1988-1996, said: "In the 1980s there wasn't a person in the country who didn't know who Jocky Wilson was."

He added: "Jocky transcended the whole spectrum of life in the UK. It's a very sad day because Jocky was loved by so many people for the great character he was."

The Kirkcaldy-native, who turned 62 on Thursday, had recently been suffering with the lung disorder chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Fife emergency services were called to his home in the town at 2100 GMT but he was deceased at the scene when an ambulance arrived.

Wilson's career saw him challenge Englishman Eric Bristow and John Lowe for the sport's major honours before his retirement in 1995.

His first victory in the World Championship came in 1982 when he beat Lowe 5-3 in the final.

Seven years later, he beat his other great rival Bristow 6-4, in a match where the "Crafty Cockney" had recovered from 5-0 down to find himself at 5-4 and 2-2 in the tenth set.

From his debut at the World Championship in 1979 until 1991, Wilson managed to reach at least the quarter-finals of the tournament on every occasion.

Wilson also lifted the British Professional Championship four-times between 1981 and 1988, as well as the British Open and Matchplay titles.

A minute's applause was held in his memory ahead of Sunday's UK Open Qualifier in Barnsley, with 194 players joining officials in paying tribute to the Scottish legend.

Jocky Wilson

"Jocky Wilson, a player I rated one of the finest ever, and always enjoyed sharing the Oche, RIP my friend"

Phil Taylor, the 15-time world champion, said: "It's very sad news. When I first started, you wanted to beat Eric Bristow, Bob Anderson and Jocky Wilson.

"He was such a good laugh to be with. People talk about the great characters in darts and he's one of the greatest.

"Jocky had false teeth, and I remember playing snooker with him. He asked someone to clean the white ball and took his teeth out to mark the ball.

"He'd always be doing things like that, and he'd have a great little grin on his face."

Five-time world champion Raymond van Barneveld said: "It's a sad day for darts. It was a shame he wasn't involved in darts anymore because he was such a hero.

"I remember playing him in my first Europe Cup event in Great Yarmouth in 1988. The Scotland team manager got him fired up and he beat me 4-0."

BBC News

the 80`s was a era that made darts massive, got us all playing in the pubs and clubs.. why? because of the men like Jocky Wilson... like him/loath him.. we all wanted to throw like him.... the little jerjk when he needed another treble or double.. talk about legends.. in darts this guy is 1 for sure.

If i was a SCOTT, i would be a saddened and proud man today. Jockey Scott/darts legend RIP

He was really famous in the 80s mate. If you werent born then or dont live in the UK then you wont have heard of him. However, if you asked somebody on the street to name five darts players then Jocky Wilson would be on almost everybodies list.

A great player and a real character. Can remember some real genuine needle in the games between him and Bristow. I would have been about 11 when he was in his pomp but watching the likes of him, Bristow, Lowe, Lazarenko etc got me into watching and playing darts and I'm still into watching it now although rarely play.

RIP Jockey

the only darts players i know are the latest batch such as phil the power taylor and simon whitlock

The oldest one i can remember is probably the guy who wears loads of gold round his neck and does commentry on the BBC and that Eric Bristow

the only darts players i know are the latest batch such as phil the power taylor and simon whitlock

The oldest one i can remember is probably the guy who wears loads of gold round his neck and does commentry on the BBC and that Eric Bristow

Jocky is part of the 'old guard'. Along with Bristow, Lowe, Anderson, Dellor, Rees, 'Big' Cliff Lazarenko etc. Back when they used to drink pints on stage!

Anyone remember Dexys Midnight Runners on Top of the Pops when they were singing Jackie Wilson says and the beeb put a picture of Jocky Wilson up by mistake

Yes, that was a classic! :lol: Always had a pint in one hand, a dart in the other and a grin on his face. When asked for a tip on how to beat the Crafty Cockney he said "hide the bast*rds fags". A former miner who was at his peak at the same time as our football club was and when darts still had a touch of the pub game about it. Jocky will be much missed at the oche. My thoughts are with his wife Malvina, his 3 children and his family as a whole.

Â