New York, New York

MMFy

@Stevo985

I don't know of anywhere in Hell's Kitchen, but a couple of blocks over at W40th and 6th I ALWAYS recommend Koi, at the Bryant Park Hotel.  It's still super close to the theatres.

For brunch, I love The Cupping Room in SoHo.  Feels like real Manhattan (if there is such a thing) and it's not a tourist joint.

The Cupping Room Cafe was established in 1977. Today it is still a neighborhood place where you can see the locals and the famous come together in our homey environment.

It was originally a wholesale coffee establishment. Different blends of coffee were brewed and tasted by perspective customers. This act of blending and tasting different coffees is called cupping - hence the name The Cupping Room Cafe.

The building hosting The Cupping Room is a landmark building. It was the first "tall" building in SoHo and is more than 100 years old. The high tin ceilings, hardwood floors, pot-belly stove and exposed brick walls are all part of the original setting. 

The Cupping Room was a home for artists and locals. This same spirit is present today, and we are proud to continue to serve New York's best brunch, fantastic lunch and dinner along with a range of fine wines, beers, and cocktails.

https://www.cuppingroomcafe.com/about-1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Any restaurant recommendations in Hell's Kitchen? We're thinking of eating there before our show on the Saturday

(or doesn't have to be Hells Kitchen if there are any better suggestions :) )

The world is your oyster really in midtown just depends on what kind of food you’re in the mood for. You could get a $10 bowl of ramen in a tiny Japanese place and be done in 15 minutes. Or you could go to Per Se at Columbus circle where the tasting menu is $350 and would you like to add the shaved truffles for $50 more?

’Yelp’ is the app that most NY’ers use for restaurants (more than TripAdvisor) so I recommend downloading that before you leave. If you’re standing outside somewhere deciding whether or not to go in you can fire it up and check if it’s any good. Anything over 4 stars and you’ll be fine.

American style steakhouses are very popular with tourists but I think they’re a rip off quite honestly. If you’re still on the non-meat diet then you could try P.S. Kitchen in Hell’s Kitchen. Full vegan restaurant, excellent food which feels like a high end restaurant and all the profits go to charity. We went on my wife’s birthday and had a great meal. Just be sure to make a reservation as it gets slammed. Also it’s just around the corner from Wicked and an easy 10 minute walk to Aladdin!

https://www.ps-kitchen.com/

Edited by TheAuthority
Added link
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

@NurembergVillan got me thinking and you should also check out Chelsea market. It’s an old building with lots of small shops specializing in one food item. Worth a wander through and great for trying lots of small plates.

Lobster rolls in there FTW!

On a sad note, have Google bought that building now?

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

:D Sorry - wasn't trying to be sarcy.

I vaguely remember something about it, but it's just funny - to find out if google had bought something is to ask google!

Honestly in New York (like most cities I imagine) there could be a murder suicide on another floor in your building and you'd only hear about it years later.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

:D Sorry - wasn't trying to be sarcy.

I vaguely remember something about it, but it's just funny - to find out if google had bought something is to ask google!

Honestly in New York (like most cities I imagine) there could be a murder suicide on another floor in your building and you'd only hear about it years later.

I know.  It's all good.

I feel like I read that Google had bought up most of Chelsea.  I remember they had that huge place opposite the market but wasn't sure how far they'd gone.

It's probably worth double what they paid already.

• Like 1

I've applied for the US "Trusted Traveller" scheme.  It's a bit of a ballache, but hopefully at the end of it I'll be able to avoid the queues at JFK.  Just waiting for my application to be approved, then I have to have an interview somewhere in the States.  Was hoping to get it done while we're over, but they're showing no signs of pulling their finger out so far.

Christ, Times Square is well worth avoiding.  I've had less hassle walking round Tunisian markets.  I've never seen so many arseholes trying to con money out of you.  We stopped to take a photo, and some well rough looking blokes dressed in the worst Marvel costumes ever swooped in to make my daughter have her photo taken, before aggressively demanding a $20 dollar tip.  Two minutes later, then a group of blokes handing out their homemade rap CDs for free before again demanding tips.  Horrible place, and we'll be steering well clear for the rest of the trip.  It's a bit of a grot hole anyway, so no loss.  Had a much nice day earlier messing around in Central Park and going to the zoo.

The yellow cabs in New York are crap as well, not a patch on London black cabs.

8 hours ago, Risso said:

Christ, Times Square is well worth avoiding.  I've had less hassle walking round Tunisian markets.  I've never seen so many arseholes trying to con money out of you.  We stopped to take a photo, and some well rough looking blokes dressed in the worst Marvel costumes ever swooped in to make my daughter have her photo taken, before aggressively demanding a $20 dollar tip.  Two minutes later, then a group of blokes handing out their homemade rap CDs for free before again demanding tips.  Horrible place, and we'll be steering well clear for the rest of the trip.  It's a bit of a grot hole anyway, so no loss.  Had a much nice day earlier messing around in Central Park and going to the zoo.

The yellow cabs in New York are crap as well, not a patch on London black cabs.

Yeah I'll be going to Times Square but I'll be taking a couple of pictures and leaving. Heard plenty of people say it's a bit of a shit hole

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I'll be going to Times Square but I'll be taking a couple of pictures and leaving. Heard plenty of people say it's a bit of a shit hole

Good to go in the morning (9/10am) when there's less people hawking their wares. Then you can see and GFTO. Going on the a weekend evening is a special kind hell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

Good to go in the morning (9/10am) when there's less people hawking their wares. Then you can see and GFTO. Going on the a weekend evening is a special kind hell.

We have Sunday earmarked for random stuff like that. Zipping around the city seeing little sights that we won't spend much time at (times square, some department stores, cathedral that kind of thing)

I'll see if we can do Times Square first and get it out of the way.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

We have Sunday earmarked for random stuff like that. Zipping around the city seeing little sights that we won't spend much time at (times square, some department stores, cathedral that kind of thing)

I'll see if we can do Times Square first and get it out of the way.

Sounds like a plan.

Start at TS, walk up 6th avenue to Radio City take a photo then over to 5th ave to look at St Patricks - you'll be done in about half and hour :D

• Like 1

Great day today.  Spent an hour wandering around random midtown streets with my eldest this morning, then took her and her brother up the to Top of the Rock. Then got a subway to Battery Park and got some pictures of the Statue of Liberty and the World Trade Centre.  Had a pizza in the brilliant Adriennes in Stone Street just off Wall Street.

This evening my wife and daughter went to see Pretty Woman on Broadway, and went backstage to meet Sam Barks the main female lead afterwards.  She's from the Isle of Man, and her sister was my daughter's primary school teacher on the IOM.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Anyone used the "New York Pass"?

I'm beginning to think it'll be worth it given how many things we're planning on doing.

No hadn't heard of that, but bloody well wish I had!  Well worth it, I've spent more than the cost of one on individual entry costs already.  The weekly subway pass is well worth it too.  $32 I think, for unlimited travel.  Quick tip, if you get one and pay for it using a debit/credit card, just ignore the bit where it says enter your postcode, and just press enter.

• Like 1

Â