New York, New York

MMFy

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

it'll be april 

from what i can see it strangely gets more expensive the longer you stay

Definitely book the flights and hotel separately - I'm guessing you're looking around the £4/500p/p mark for flights, then £100 - £150 per night for hotel rooms. I've only ever been at Xmas (three times now) but would be surprised if you couldn't hit these sort of targets. However, when you say April do you mean Easter? That might greatly impact on prices, if you can go in term time it'd be a lot cheaper.

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2017 at 15:37, villa4europe said:

any hotel recomendations? looking to go for a week, trying to keep it under £2k

not fussed about the area as long as its got good metro links, would prefer a decent view and hotel rooftop bar

You've probably already been and gone, but, for future reference for anyone else, AirBnB is a great way to get a really good deal. It's usually cheaper than a hotel and everyone is protected.

Edited by TheAuthority

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I tried it last summer for my euros trip in Lyon and my experience of them was people cancelling a couple of days after making the booking (happened about 4 times) I'd put them under the things I don't get thread if I'm honest 

I think AirBnB is a lot more prevalent in North America. I use it all the time on business trips (was in Portland this past weekend) and I've also used it n Argentina. I'm not sure how much it's caught on in Europe. 

I've also rented out my place on AIrBnB when were left New York for work for a couple of months. The majority of the time it works over here and you meet interesting people. Like anything there can be horror stories here and there as there's always the 1% or 2% of people who  are dicks.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

anyone ever stayed in brooklyn?

found a couple of decent well priced hotels there near subway lines and i do plan on spending a couple of days of my trip walking round brooklyn

dont know if its going to be a ball ache where im travelling in to manhatten more or less every day

On 04/09/2017 at 20:37, villa4europe said:

found a couple of decent well priced hotels there near subway lines and i do plan on spending a couple of days of my trip walking round brooklyn

dont know if its going to be a ball ache where im travelling in to manhatten more or less every day

I've not stayed over there, but have been across a few times. It's a lot easier to get into Manhattan than you might think and can represent better value for accommodation.  As it's largely residential it'd give you a bit of respite from all the tourists too.

If you're staying near a station for the A or C lines, they'd be the main ones you'd be taking to get up the west side of Manhattan anyway - through Soho, Meatpacking and up towards Columbus Circle.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2017 at 15:37, villa4europe said:

Honestly it's a ball ache if your main activities are going to be in Manhattan. 

Why spend 1 & 1/2 hours every day of your holiday sitting on a train?

If money is an issue look at AirBnB  & maybe stay a little further north. eg 96th street on the West side is about 8-10 mins to everything in mid-town/west village. If you pay for a hotel on the 40's/50's in Manhattan it's going to be top dollar.

I wouldn't say money is an issue value for money is though, hotels near Wall Street are looking £800 cheaper than some round by Times Square and to be fair at the moment it's hard to know where I'm actually going to be, I'll do times squat, flat iron, Central Park etc but they're going to be more in and out jobs, spending half days moseying round places is going to be more Williamsburg, Harlem, Washington square park, the high line etc

i do plan on visiting all 5 boroughs and going to Coney Island 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2017 at 06:29, villa4europe said:

I wouldn't say money is an issue value for money is though, hotels near Wall Street are looking £800 cheaper than some round by Times Square and to be fair at the moment it's hard to know where I'm actually going to be, I'll do times squat, flat iron, Central Park etc but they're going to be more in and out jobs, spending half days moseying round places is going to be more Williamsburg, Harlem, Washington square park, the high line etc

i do plan on visiting all 5 boroughs and going to Coney Island 

Sorry it took so long to look back at the thread. 

Times Square hotels are a complete rip off. It's just not worth it when you can buy an unlimited subway/bus pass of $32 per week. One day in that craziness (think Leicester Square 24/7) would exhaust anyone. Great to visit, maybe see a show or 2 and pick up some tacky tourist gifts for friends/family. Beyond that it's just not worth paying the price to stay there. It's also pretty filthy. 

Only negative thing about the financial district (wall street etc.) is it's going to be absolutely dead by 8/8:30pm at night. Not that many people live there so theres just not much going on. (Polar opposite of Times Square!)

To see the places you mentioned have you looked at small boutique hotels in either the West or East Village? I would still say that AirBnB is the way to go in Manhattan but I understand some people like the amenities of a hotel. You're welcome to PM if your trip is coming up and you still need ideas!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Going with the wife soon, only for two nights. 

Not a fancy eating type of guy, and only really want to do one touristy thing (was thinking ellis island).

Just looking for cool spots to eat and drink, probably just gonna put on comfy shoes and just walk.

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Also is there a villa pub to watch the SHA game on sunday am?

Football Factory in Legends Bar, right next to Empire State Building - there'll be a Villa section! On saying that, haven't been since we've been in Championship...

Edit; yeah it's on from 8am apparently - https://www.legendsff.com/fixtures-list

New York is best place in the world imo (maybe just behind Villa Park!), you can't go wrongby just wandering around.

Edited by jackbauer24
New information

On 20/10/2017 at 13:42, Dom_Wren said:

Going with the wife soon, only for two nights. 

Not a fancy eating type of guy, and only really want to do one touristy thing (was thinking ellis island).

Just looking for cool spots to eat and drink, probably just gonna put on comfy shoes and just walk.

Any suggestions?

Koi @ Bryant Park Hotel for amazing Asian food in a beautifully designed restaurant.

La Esquina for hidden Mexican kitchen eats.

Morandi for great Italian in the West Village.

Cupping Room for brunch in SoHo.  The name is a letdown, as they don't hold your balls while you eat.

Paptzul for low key Mexican in SoHo, and Toad Hall next door for lovely beeriness.

Bill's Bar and Burger in Meatpacking for a proper burger at lunchtime.  Particularly handy if you want to load up before walking the High Line.

Chelsea Market in Meatpacking for other light eats.  The lobster roll in there is ace.  The Thai place in there is really good too.

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2017 at 11:36, jackbauer24 said:

Football Factory in Legends Bar, right next to Empire State Building - there'll be a Villa section! On saying that, haven't been since we've been in Championship...

Edit; yeah it's on from 8am apparently - https://www.legendsff.com/fixtures-list

New York is best place in the world imo (maybe just behind Villa Park!), you can't go wrongby just wandering around.

21 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Koi @ Bryant Park Hotel for amazing Asian food in a beautifully designed restaurant.

La Esquina for hidden Mexican kitchen eats.

Morandi for great Italian in the West Village.

Cupping Room for brunch in SoHo.  The name is a letdown, as they don't hold your balls while you eat.

Paptzul for low key Mexican in SoHo, and Toad Hall next door for lovely beeriness.

Bill's Bar and Burger in Meatpacking for a proper burger at lunchtime.  Particularly handy if you want to load up before walking the High Line.

Chelsea Market in Meatpacking for other light eats.  The lobster roll in there is ace.  The Thai place in there is really good too.

Cheers Lads, Much appreciated!

• Like 2

Â