New York, New York

MMFy

Sitting in la guardia bout to head back home. Brilliant time. Brilliant. 

Friday did a ruby, Times Square and beers at the irish pub round the corner. Did soho and toad hall and paptzul @NurembergVillan

Saturday watched us spank the Spaniards over a few pints. Then did broadway Central Park. More Irish pubs. Lovely Mexican food. 

Sunday couldn’t get up for game was too knackered! Rained all day so laid around then did the wtc museum. We stayed right there lovely little area. 

Really enjoyed it. Hotels were fine. Did the subway no problems. Everybody friendly. Felt safe all the time. Brilliant little break. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My mrs is going in sept for a few days and looking for good food ideas and things to do. already been and done the more touristy things so looking for other things to do...any input appreciated, thanks!

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

My mrs is going in sept for a few days and looking for good food ideas and things to do. already been and done the more touristy things so looking for other things to do...any input appreciated, thanks!

On 05/09/2016 at 23:30, NurembergVillan said:

Just emailed a friend with some of my favourite spots in NYC.  Some of it is from my post earlier in this thread, but thought I'd pop it here for next time someone is looking for ideas...

A few tourist tips first…  When you get to your hotel, ham up being English and your first time in NYC.  Tell the receptionist and also “I know it’s cheeky but I don’t suppose you have any upgrades available?  Anything with a view?” or something to that effect.  Get all Hugh Grant on them.  9/10 I’ve either blagged a free or cheap upgrade.  Breakfast in hotels is usually a rip off.  Heading to the nearest Whole Foods is your best bet for a cheap eat - they have a full buffet of amazing organic food and you can sit in.

I’ve never been up the Empire State Building, but have been up the Rockefeller.  I found the views to be great, and you can get pictures of the Empire State so it’s worth it for that.  I’d avoid MLS matches as the standard is crap.  Basketball might be your best bet if you want sport.  For a proper ex-pat/locals/tourists experience, get up early and go to watch Premier League football at the Football Factory which will be near your hotel.  It’s an amazing experience - http://www.footballfactoryny.com/

Central Park is beautiful, and the zoo is nice and fairly small too.  If you fancy a run, then do it there.  If you want a great spin class, my pal owns a place called Swerve, where everyone gets broken into teams.  If you fancy that let me know and I’ll contact him - https://www.swervefitness.com/

Unlike in England, hotel bars are quite the destination over there.  The Hudson used to be where it’s at but I think it’s being refurbed right now. The Ace Hotel at midtown has a lively scene.  If you want somewhere you might spot celebs but is just a great smart/casual hangout then head to The Bowery.  You won’t regret it.  In terms of nightclubs, I can’t really help.  Both the places I would have recommended have shut down.  A lot of the bars are open later, and I think Lower East Side can be a good night out.  I’ve had a decent night in the West Village after eating at Morandi, then heading out from there - http://www.morandiny.com/  Morandi is part of Keith McNally’s group of restaurants, which includes a place called Balthazar.  All his spots are good.

If you’re wanting to eat somewhere half decent, you’re probably going to need to book in advance and not just Friday and Saturday.  People eat out in NYC a hell of a lot.

SoHo is amazing, but is best during the week if you don’t want it to be too crowded.  Weekends can be nuts.  If you’re having a breakfast or brunch out then try The Cupping Room - http://www.cuppingroomcafe.com/ on W Broadway.  There’s also a cosy little Mexican gaff for lunch or dinner called Papatzul, and next door to that is a great little bar called Toad Hall.  They’re both right across from the SoHo Grand hotel.

Meatpacking district is another great spot to spend an afternoon.  Go for a walk along Highline Park (an overground subway line that was converted into a park).  Might be nice at the weekend as there’s often little market things there.  For a swanky night out head to the bar at the Standard hotel.  Strict dress code etc there though.  Less swanky is Bill’s Bar and Burger - http://www.billsbarandburger.com/venues/meatpacking-district/ as a lunch spot, or even better get into Chelsea Market just there and have a lobster roll.  The place is beautiful, and a hive of activity.

Brooklyn is where all the cool kids are at these days, and that side of the water you can have a good night out, as well as have a walk around during the day.  Another one that might be good for the weekend.  If you can get a table, Peter Luger http://peterluger.com/brooklyn/ is one of the most famous steakhouses in NYC, been there since 1887.  It’s still old fashioned and AMAZING meat.  For a fun night, try Brooklyn Bowl, which is a vintage style bowling alley with live music, good food etc.  Can be raucous.  It’s next door to the Brooklyn Brewery too.

If you like Japanese/Asian fusion food you HAVE to go to Koi at the Bryant Park Hotel (it's at Bryant Park and W40th St, so only a few blocks from Times Square).The food is exceptional and not over priced for NYC. The architecture inside is breathtaking and there's a great beer-cellar style bar downstairs. Plus Bryant Park itself is a beautiful little square. You can order a proper main course or else a few smaller dishes or sushi. The kobe beef potstickers (Asian dumplings) are beautiful and they do a great softshell crab too. They have more orthodox dishes like tuna and salmon too though. I try to go every time I'm in New York - http://www.koirestaurant.com/new_york-bryant_park/galleries/1/

For somewhere off the beaten track try La Esquina, a Mexican place that looks like a taco stand from the street. That's because it is. But if you've booked, or you've timed it right, there will be a woman by an internal door who will show you downstairs and through the kitchen into a little restaurant/bar that does great food - http://esquinanyc.com/

That’s enough reading for the first hour of your flight… Just a few ideas for you.  New York has everything for everyone though.  Take comfortable footwear for walking about.  You’ll get some miles in.  And just explore.  Find a few new jewels to add to my list!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going there on the 29th of April, will be my 2nd visit.

Was there 2 years ago and loved it. Hopefully the weather will be a bit better this time as it was pretty cold for the season and cloudy last time.

Going with 3 mates so will be good fun.

Edited by sne

There really is something for everyone. Museums, parks, nightclubs, every cuisine on the planet, every kind of musical/art performance.
Free and easy? Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (take the 4/5/6 train to Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall.) BB is equally cool in the day or at night. Fans of Law & Order? Walk around near City Hall and the Federal building saying "Dun Dun" and feel like you're Jerry Orbach in an episode.

I highly recommend buying a weekly subway pass for $32 - unlimited subway and bus rides. Compared to $2.75 per journey, you could easily spend more than $32 on one day sightseeing. So take the Staten Island Ferry for free with your metro-card for great views of the Statue of Liberty. This website is cool for free walking tours: http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/#walk

Go to China Town and find the amazing hole in the walls where 10 dumplings will cost you $1. Don't eat out in Little Italy! Restaurants there love ripping off tourists. If you have time head to Flushing where you will think you just took the train to Korea! Every sign is suddenly in Korean -but it's the best Korean food in NYC.  Or you could go to K town and get some Korean BBQ. K Town is near the Empire State building in mid-town east.

I try not to recommend restaurants because they can come and go so quickly so the Yelp app is your friend - anything over 4 stars will be solid and you can filter it by price and the neighborhood you're in/want to visit.

Improv comedy is huge in NYC and I recommend The Upright Citizens Brigade. They have a venue on the Lower East Side and in Hells Kitchen. UCB was started by Amy Poehler and basically 90% of US comedy in the last 15 years is associated with UCB. The Lower East Side is just a great neighborhood to go and hang out in and people watch/have drinks/food whatever.

Anyone is welcome to PM me for specific asks and I will help if I can. 

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to New York for the first time in June and want to watch some sport whilst there. The only thing on when I am there is Baseball with the New York Yankees at home, is it worth going to even for a non baseball fan?

26 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I'm going to New York for the first time in June and want to watch some sport whilst there. The only thing on when I am there is Baseball with the New York Yankees at home, is it worth going to even for a non baseball fan?

Have you checked the MLS fixtures in June? NYCFC play at Yankee stadium and Philadelphia is a short train ride away - you could go and see Union play and be back the same day. https://www.amtrak.com/home.html for train schedules.

I would suggest going to a baseball game at Yankee stadium for a slice of American culture. Even if you don't follow baseball I'm sure people around you will fill you in on the rules etc - especially if you say you're from England. Don't underestimate your English accent - I am Lord Authority of Brierley Hill round these parts!

• Like 1

On 12/03/2018 at 15:09, wilko154 said:

Go to a Mets game instead. Cheaper and less "touristy" 

But yeah it's worth going. A proper slice of "Merica 

• 5 months later...

I'm looking for a reasonably priced steakhouse for next week. We're staying in manhatten but we are open to go anywhere for a nice steak. Any ideas? 

Cheers Nick

14 hours ago, welnik said:

I'm looking for a reasonably priced steakhouse for next week. We're staying in manhatten but we are open to go anywhere for a nice steak. Any ideas? 

Cheers Nick

I'm a sucker for Smith & Wollensky , their prime rib is huge and o so tasty     ... but i think that's ruled out on the "reasonably priced" category , but check the menu out on the link

17 hours ago, welnik said:

Cheers Nick

certainly not in the reasonably priced category...but keens will remain the best steak I've ever had...although i would expect it to be for $55 with sides costing extra. avoid hard rock, had a poor steak there

I think I've found my new favourite city!!!!! This place is amazing. Done loads and still done nothing! I'm just going to have to come back again. 

Nick 

• 5 weeks later...

I'm heading there at the end of November with the OH plus my mom and sister.

Loads of great info in this thread but the more the merrier if anyone else has further recommendations.

They all want to see a broadway show. Not particularly fussed with what they see. Is it better to book that in advance? A friend of a friend said it's worth queuing when we get there and we'd get much better deals. Don't want to risk it though without some reassurance!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm heading there at the end of November with the OH plus my mom and sister.

Loads of great info in this thread but the more the merrier if anyone else has further recommendations.

They all want to see a broadway show. Not particularly fussed with what they see. Is it better to book that in advance? A friend of a friend said it's worth queuing when we get there and we'd get much better deals. Don't want to risk it though without some reassurance!

there is a booth near time square if i recall ( similar to Leicester Square in London) but I've never used it as I've always booked in advance for the same reason you are thinking of

if you want a proper on Broadway show (as opposed to Off Broadway) then I think it would be best to pre book

Daniel Ratcliffe is on Broadway in Nov if the OH/sister  is a Harry Potter / Ratcliffe fan , play is called  The Lifespan of a Fact , reasonable price rather than Hamilton which is showing at $350 or Cursed Child at $750 a ticket !!!

• Like 1

I've pre-booked for my wife and eldest daughter to go and see Pretty Woman on Broadway while we're there.  It's starring Sam Barks, who is from the Isle of Man, and is the sister of my daughter's old school teacher.

Â