New York, New York

MMFy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Got back from NYC on Monday. Had 4 nights there and was class. A few tips for anyone going/thinking of going

Metro card is a must. $31 for unlimited travel for a week is a no brainer. There's a set fee for a taxi from JFK ($60 with tolls) but you can get the air train for $5 to the nearest subway station and get your metro card there to save cash

One World Observatory at the new World Trade Centre is stunning.

Get some decent trainers as you will be walking around a lot

If you get the chance to watch NYC FC at Yankee Stadium do it. Was a great experience and a great stadium.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, going to New York for 6 days in the summer, wondering which areas are best to stay in, or any other recommendations. Have bought Mets tickets for the Sunday which I am excited about. 

Thanks in advance

Steve

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steve1986 said:

Hi everyone, going to New York for 6 days in the summer, wondering which areas are best to stay in, or any other recommendations. Have bought Mets tickets for the Sunday which I am excited about. 

Thanks in advance

Steve

That's all you need. It won't get any better than that!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

That's all you need. It won't get any better than that!

I am very excited for the game,  have already started watching the baseball on BT Sport to try and understand it. 

Slightly to the right of home plate then. Should be a good game. Division rival. My only visit to Citi was against the Philthies. A 6-5 win :D

You will have a ball. Mets fans are a decent bunch. (I know Maqroll won't agree with that!)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 17:55, steve1986 said:

Cheers, does anyone have any recommendations for where to stay be it areas or hotels? 

depends what you want to be doing really

first time I stayed at the Waldorf , overpriced for what it ( rooms were small and tired , but I wanted to stay there and see what the fuss was all about ( really need the Waldorf Towers for that)  did see Bill Clinton ( and Hilary ) there though )  ... short walk to Grand Central and Chrysler but you are a little bit away from some of the other stuff  although you can walk to most places fairly easily

next time I stayed in  an apartment by central park  , good for the park and the museums but felt a bit remote from the main stuff

last time I went I stayed on Time Square (well just off Broadway ) and that was the best location imo  , easy access to the metro , close enough to some of the attractions you'll want to see and near a lot of the shops ( avenue of the Americas is in my mind for some reason chances are MrsH dragged me up and down there )

but the next person could easily tell you that you don't want to be anywhere near those and you should aim for Hells Kitchen or somewhere so have a look at what you are likely to be doing first and then choose

On 5/23/2016 at 12:55, steve1986 said:

Cheers, does anyone have any recommendations for where to stay be it areas or hotels? 

You could look at Airbnb.com which will give you more options. If you're not familiar basically people rent out they're own apartments while they are out of town. It's a great system which I've used all over the world.

Agree with Tony above especially for your 1st time to NYC. Staying in the middle of it all can be draining at times but probably worth it.

• 3 months later...

Just emailed a friend with some of my favourite spots in NYC.  Some of it is from my post earlier in this thread, but thought I'd pop it here for next time someone is looking for ideas...

A few tourist tips first…  When you get to your hotel, ham up being English and your first time in NYC.  Tell the receptionist and also “I know it’s cheeky but I don’t suppose you have any upgrades available?  Anything with a view?” or something to that effect.  Get all Hugh Grant on them.  9/10 I’ve either blagged a free or cheap upgrade.  Breakfast in hotels is usually a rip off.  Heading to the nearest Whole Foods is your best bet for a cheap eat - they have a full buffet of amazing organic food and you can sit in.

I’ve never been up the Empire State Building, but have been up the Rockefeller.  I found the views to be great, and you can get pictures of the Empire State so it’s worth it for that.  I’d avoid MLS matches as the standard is crap.  Basketball might be your best bet if you want sport.  For a proper ex-pat/locals/tourists experience, get up early and go to watch Premier League football at the Football Factory which will be near your hotel.  It’s an amazing experience - http://www.footballfactoryny.com/

Central Park is beautiful, and the zoo is nice and fairly small too.  If you fancy a run, then do it there.  If you want a great spin class, my pal owns a place called Swerve, where everyone gets broken into teams.  If you fancy that let me know and I’ll contact him - https://www.swervefitness.com/

Unlike in England, hotel bars are quite the destination over there.  The Hudson used to be where it’s at but I think it’s being refurbed right now. The Ace Hotel at midtown has a lively scene.  If you want somewhere you might spot celebs but is just a great smart/casual hangout then head to The Bowery.  You won’t regret it.  In terms of nightclubs, I can’t really help.  Both the places I would have recommended have shut down.  A lot of the bars are open later, and I think Lower East Side can be a good night out.  I’ve had a decent night in the West Village after eating at Morandi, then heading out from there - http://www.morandiny.com/  Morandi is part of Keith McNally’s group of restaurants, which includes a place called Balthazar.  All his spots are good.

If you’re wanting to eat somewhere half decent, you’re probably going to need to book in advance and not just Friday and Saturday.  People eat out in NYC a hell of a lot.

SoHo is amazing, but is best during the week if you don’t want it to be too crowded.  Weekends can be nuts.  If you’re having a breakfast or brunch out then try The Cupping Room - http://www.cuppingroomcafe.com/ on W Broadway.  There’s also a cosy little Mexican gaff for lunch or dinner called Papatzul, and next door to that is a great little bar called Toad Hall.  They’re both right across from the SoHo Grand hotel.

Meatpacking district is another great spot to spend an afternoon.  Go for a walk along Highline Park (an overground subway line that was converted into a park).  Might be nice at the weekend as there’s often little market things there.  For a swanky night out head to the bar at the Standard hotel.  Strict dress code etc there though.  Less swanky is Bill’s Bar and Burger - http://www.billsbarandburger.com/venues/meatpacking-district/ as a lunch spot, or even better get into Chelsea Market just there and have a lobster roll.  The place is beautiful, and a hive of activity.

Brooklyn is where all the cool kids are at these days, and that side of the water you can have a good night out, as well as have a walk around during the day.  Another one that might be good for the weekend.  If you can get a table, Peter Luger http://peterluger.com/brooklyn/ is one of the most famous steakhouses in NYC, been there since 1887.  It’s still old fashioned and AMAZING meat.  For a fun night, try Brooklyn Bowl, which is a vintage style bowling alley with live music, good food etc.  Can be raucous.  It’s next door to the Brooklyn Brewery too.

If you like Japanese/Asian fusion food you HAVE to go to Koi at the Bryant Park Hotel (it's at Bryant Park and W40th St, so only a few blocks from Times Square).The food is exceptional and not over priced for NYC. The architecture inside is breathtaking and there's a great beer-cellar style bar downstairs. Plus Bryant Park itself is a beautiful little square. You can order a proper main course or else a few smaller dishes or sushi. The kobe beef potstickers (Asian dumplings) are beautiful and they do a great softshell crab too. They have more orthodox dishes like tuna and salmon too though. I try to go every time I'm in New York - http://www.koirestaurant.com/new_york-bryant_park/galleries/1/

For somewhere off the beaten track try La Esquina, a Mexican place that looks like a taco stand from the street. That's because it is. But if you've booked, or you've timed it right, there will be a woman by an internal door who will show you downstairs and through the kitchen into a little restaurant/bar that does great food - http://esquinanyc.com/

That’s enough reading for the first hour of your flight… Just a few ideas for you.  New York has everything for everyone though.  Take comfortable footwear for walking about.  You’ll get some miles in.  And just explore.  Find a few new jewels to add to my list!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Booked 4 nights in December and this will be my first trip to the US

Have also got some tickets for the Brooklyn Nets on the final night I'm there and I will check back here between now and then for any other reviews which might be shared 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/9/2016 at 13:15, M_Allback_14 said:

Booked 4 nights in December and this will be my first trip to the US

Have also got some tickets for the Brooklyn Nets on the final night I'm there and I will check back here between now and then for any other reviews which might be shared 

Where have you booked - which part of town? That can lead to varying degrees of experience.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

any hotel recomendations? looking to go for a week, trying to keep it under £2k

not fussed about the area as long as its got good metro links, would prefer a decent view and hotel rooftop bar

When are you thinking of going? Yes the pounds plummetted but me and the gf were there at Xmas and for ten days, direct flights in great hotel and it cost £2600 (not each!) - surely term time, none Christmas, seven days should be achieved for under £2k with comparative ease.

Would strongly recommend The Ameritania as a quirky, brilliantly located hotel. But there's so much choice you can't really go wrong with a tiny bit of research.

• Like 1

Â