New York, New York

MMFy

Make sure you go to Kats Delicatessan. Tell me what it's like! Hope you have a great time. Very jel.

I went there but the queue was out the door and about 15 feet up the street. It would have taken about 45 minutes to get in and get some food, by which time we had almost travelled back to 110th & Broadway and went to "Tom's Diner" instead.

I've seen the programme though and the place does look good. Might try again next time I go out there...

Going for 6 days so I reckon I should be able to see everything I really want to.

Given my friend has lived out there for over 10 years and said he has barely scratched the surface, I doubt you will do it all in 6 days!

Got back late last night. Absolutely loved it again. Tried to see as much as possible. Last time I went I did all the tourist bits so wasnt too fussed about it this time. I just wanted to explore as much of the different areas as I could.

Highlights were - Stand Up NY (A comedy show), Shopping in Soho, Shake Shack in Madison Square Park, 2 Bros Pizza $1 slice, Brunch at the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park, Central Park, Walking over Brooklyn Bridge at sunset, Greenwich Village, Meg Ryan stealing our cab, The High Line, Pancakes at IHOP

Also went to Williamsburg which was pretty nice and had a good brunch there. Not sure what the fuss is though. One question being Muslim obvs I know what Halal food is. However, I swear in NY they think Halal food is just arab food like Shwarmas and Gyros/Kebabs. I was tempted to have something from the Halal Cart Guys but I wasnt sure if it was actually Halal and if I could eat it so I decided against it.

If you like ice cream/shakes then try out a Concrete Jungle from Shake Shack - amazing!

A couple of cool bars - Fat Cat and Garage - good if you like your Jazz.

• Like 1

I got back from NY after a weeks holidaying there on the 4th Jan and it was amazing. Some great places there. People were friendly. Wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be.

Theres a bostin' Italian place on 8th Avenue and 45th street I think called Daniela Trattoria. We ate there a few times and the service and food was top notch.

• 2 years later...

Buy a New York pass if you're doing all the tourism, you'll save an absolute fortune. From memory, its got us into every major attraction, I think Empire State building there was possibly a small supplement to jump the queue, but no where else did we have to pay.

If you get time and got some spare cash, Maceys is decent to pick up some designer gear, particularly Levis.

We had dinner at an Italian on the edge of Central Park (the name of which I can't remember sadly) and it was absolutely fantastic.

Be prepared to tip everywhere.

There's a nice steakhouse as well by Central Park at the top of a little mall, again can't remember the name, very expensive for what it was but very good steak.

Greenwich village is worth a visit, bit more arty than the rest of town.

WTC was a decent visit but a bit tacky I thought.

Everything I can remember off top of my head, hope it helps

Where are you stopping mate?

Thanks for the info.

Staying in Times Square

There's loads around Times Square, main tourist things, plenty of places to eat. Enjoy it, it's an absolutely fantastic place, so much better than I expected and I had high expectations :)

• Like 1

Oh, and if you're gonna do one skyscraper, I thought Chrysler was better than Empire State building

Really fancy One World Observatory for the Skyscraper views. The Mrs is less keen with what happened there though. I'd imagine it's a slightly strange atmosphere 

I've never been but I've followed a few travel blogs and the like and have always been curious about NYC food as it's supposed to be one of the finest places in the world to eat out.   The halal cart on 53rd & 6th (halfway between Central Park and the Rockefeller centre) seems to be a tourist attraction of it's own, it's a kebab place which has hour long queues.  Is it as good as everybody says?

I've never been but I've followed a few travel blogs and the like and have always been curious about NYC food as it's supposed to be one of the finest places in the world to eat out.   The halal cart on 53rd & 6th (halfway between Central Park and the Rockefeller centre) seems to be a tourist attraction of it's own, it's a kebab place which has hour long queues.  Is it as good as everybody says?

I don't think you can ever put the words America and best food in the same sentence tbh

Don't get me wrong it's great fun eating a sandwich that comes straight out of Scooby Doo  that requires your jaw to be dislocated to eat it and I make a point of hitting Smith & Wollenskys every time I visit the states for the huge  steaks , but I dunno there is just something about the taste of the food over there .. the cheese is that plastic stuff , the prawns are farmed , their soft drinks have an inferior sugar in them and don't even go there on the chocolate ....

I'd say American food was more about the quantity than the quality

I'd also want to know what kind of weirdo queues up for an hour to get a kebab ? In NY I always head to Carnegies Deli for the sandwiches and the chance to be abused by a loud mouthed wise cracking Jewish waitress , but much as I like the place I wont stand and wait for more than  a few minutes for a table

Katz deli is very nice, also feels quite authentic even though it's marketed to mostly tourists. Not sure of that kebab place you speak of Rev? It's a very easy place to eat, where you get decent, large portions for not much money, but there are also some very nice, much more expensive restaurants with 'real' food too.

That kebab place was great. Mainly because it was hard to get good halal food in NYC. However, you can get that anywhere here in London/England. Most Turkish/Lebanese places have just as good food as that cart.

NYC tips

- Walk everywhere but if you must use public transport use the metro and get a week pass
- Go to a sporting event
- Check out Brooklyn
- Check out the High Line for great views
- Rockafeller > Empire State
- Get the Staten Island Ferry for free for great views of Statue of Liberty.
- Get the dollar pizzas from Two Bros pizza - amazing
- Check out Harlem during the day - it's a great place and really buzzing
- Check out Shake Shack in Madison Park - great food
- Go to iHop for Strawberry Cheesecake Pancakes
- The Boathouse in Central Park is nice for a fancy lunch or dinner
- Go over Brooklyn Bridge but first get the metro across just before it gets dark and walk back toward Manhattan as the sun is setting

which based on my experience of America probably cost you $1.08 because they add the tax on afterwards  :)

( America leave the ranks of the third world and include the tax in the price  )

which based on my experience of America probably cost you $1.08 because they add the tax on afterwards  :)

( America leave the ranks of the third world and include the tax in the price  )

Bastards with their tax. Got caught out when I was buying an iPad as a present for someone.

Â