New York, New York

MMFy

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Anyone used the "New York Pass"?

I'm beginning to think it'll be worth it given how many things we're planning on doing.

Yes it’s a good deal - also what Russo said - $32 weekly metro card for unlimited rides

• Like 1

Yeah we'd already clocked the metro card. We'll need that.

Gonna crunch the numbers on the New York card thing in a bit. They have a sale on so it's even cheaper. $199 for 3 days. I think it'll be worth it

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah we'd already clocked the metro card. We'll need that.

Gonna crunch the numbers on the New York card thing in a bit. They have a sale on so it's even cheaper. $199 for 3 days. I think it'll be worth it

?

Definitely, definitely get the NYC Ferry from downtown, just off Wall Street, up to E34 Street.  It stops at about 5 places along the Brooklyn coast on the East River, before heading back across to Manhattan. 45 minutes of unbelievable views of Downtown, the World Trade Centre, Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State, the Chrysler Building, and so on.  All for the ridiculous price of $2.75!!  A photographer's dream.  

• Like 1

Went to the top of the World Trade Centre today, which was amazing, followed by a return trip on the Staten Island Ferry, which is also amazing and best of all, free.  The new UK aircraft carrier is moored up near the Statue of Liberty.

This week we've been to the Katz Deli for their famous pastrami sandwich.  An iconic place (the famous Meg Ryan fake orgasm scene was shot there) but it's just crazily busy and manic. If you go and have the enormous pastrami sarnie, don't have any breakfast beforehand, and don't expect to feel hungry after for a good 24 hours! They are bloody enormous.  Finished mine though.  Today we went to Juniors not far from Times Square.  Really good food and service, and the cheesecake that they're famous for is amazing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'll be back in NYC for Xmas but it's first time since we've been in the Championship. Do Football Factory @ Legends Bar still show our games?

Depends I think - If they are on Sky or international broadcast then they are on ESPN. All other games are shown on AVTV - I'm not sure if NYVillans set that up at Legends because you will be competing with all the PL games and whatever else ESPN is showing.

Probably best to reach out to NYVillans on Twitter

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

3 days until I'm on my way out there :D

Got a full itinerary sorted now. Just need these 3 days of work to hurry up and be over with!

Have fun!

Grimaldi's is another good pizza place... we went to the one under the Brooklyn Bridge. 

• Like 1

Random question...

I'm flying from Birmingham, but we're going via Dublin (my sister is joining us in Dublin).

In terms of dropping my bag off in Birmingham, do I have to treat this as a long haul flight? i.e check in closes 75 minutes before the flight? 
I was kind of assuming we could get to the airport an hour before given it was a Dublin flight, but now I'm not so sure

We had a brilliant time.

Exhausted now though. We never stopped walking. Averaged over 10 miles a day, and we didn't walk that much on the final day so the first 3 were killers.

First time there for all of us, so we didn't do anything trendy or unoriginal, we just hit all the big ticket items. But they were all amazing.

I'd happily go back and do a more laid back visit, spend more time visiting restaurants and bars rather than sights. Would like to explore Brooklyn some more for example.

Another thank you to @TheAuthority. Cheers bud!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We had a brilliant time.

Exhausted now though. We never stopped walking. Averaged over 10 miles a day, and we didn't walk that much on the final day so the first 3 were killers.

First time there for all of us, so we didn't do anything trendy or unoriginal, we just hit all the big ticket items. But they were all amazing.

I'd happily go back and do a more laid back visit, spend more time visiting restaurants and bars rather than sights. Would like to explore Brooklyn some more for example.

Another thank you to @TheAuthority. Cheers bud!

i've only been once and like you did the big ticket items...and much like you thought about how great the next time would be on a more laid back visit and visiting some different places

i wanted to go to harlem when i was there (during the day obviously) and try some proper soul food and have an explore but was too scared - anyone know if it would still be dodgy during the day?

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i've only been once and like you did the big ticket items...and much like you thought about how great the next time would be on a more laid back visit and visiting some different places

i wanted to go to harlem when i was there (during the day obviously) and try some proper soul food and have an explore but was too scared - anyone know if it would still be dodgy during the day?

Whilst not an expert, I understand Harlem is almost as safe as anywhere else in the day. The gentrification of the boroughs is making it all quite uniformed but is causing some controversy with locals. Like anywhere though, just keep your wits about you and don't go somewhere if it doesn't feel right.

New York is my favourite place in the world. It's like walking around one massive movie for me! I've been three times so far, am returning again in a few weeks for Xmas (which I strongly recommend as it is awesome season in NYC) and then returning again next summer to get married in Central Park! I'd love to live there, even just for a year, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

The big ticket places are cool but there's also something just amazing about sitting in a random bar watching the world go by on a random street in the middle of the Big Apple.

• Like 1

Great place to visit....

I've been twice. The last visit was in 2008 but when i was there i went to The Playwright Irish Pub on West 35th Street....had a couple of beers and a bite to eat and got chatting to the bar manager...and he gave us two free VIP passes for The Empire State !!!!

We left our shopping bags at the pub and off we went..... got there and went straight to the front of the queue and up to the top. Brilliant.

They have free passes as they are ''neighbours'' Now this was 10 years ago and things may have changed...but if your'e off there its worth checking out and be cheeky and ask....dont just go in there and ask....build up the relationship first...

they may still have free passes, they may not....but worth a trying imo....

enjoy the trip 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

Whilst not an expert, I understand Harlem is almost as safe as anywhere else in the day. The gentrification of the boroughs is making it all quite uniformed but is causing some controversy with locals. Like anywhere though, just keep your wits about you and don't go somewhere if it doesn't feel right.

New York is my favourite place in the world. It's like walking around one massive movie for me! I've been three times so far, am returning again in a few weeks for Xmas (which I strongly recommend as it is awesome season in NYC) and then returning again next summer to get married in Central Park! I'd love to live there, even just for a year, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

The big ticket places are cool but there's also something just amazing about sitting in a random bar watching the world go by on a random street in the middle of the Big Apple.

Completely agree, it's an amazing place.  I think I just about prefer it to London, as London loses points for being too familiar.

New York seems a lot more compact as well, although two things about it are really shite:

The yellow cabs - shit drivers, filthy horrible cars, and most of them are too small.  Not a patch on black cabs in London

The tipping culture - hate it, just charge a bit more and stop me having to think about every single transaction.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Risso said:

Completely agree, it's an amazing place.  I think I just about prefer it to London, as London loses points for being too familiar.

New York seems a lot more compact as well, although two things about it are really shite:

The yellow cabs - shit drivers, filthy horrible cars, and most of them are too small.  Not a patch on black cabs in London

The tipping culture - hate it, just charge a bit more and stop me having to think about every single transaction.

I actually like the shittiness! If there's one thing NYC half lets me down on is that it's not still as grimy as those 80s films showed that I loved that I was brought up on! Admittedly I probably wouldn't like it in reality but the idea is nice! I love the crappy cabs, dodgy food carts, dilapidated subway. I love getting on the Staten Island ferry and finding random streets to walk down. I prefer a run in to a Duane Reade or CVS than doing something posh!

But 100% agree on tipping. I really don't understand how some people still tip for a bad service! 10% is apparently for bad service, 20% for good?! What?! How about 0 for bad service?!

Â