Steam

PussEKatt

Valve dont need it to be a smash hit out of the gate. Keep it on the front page of Steam, promote it heavily in every sale and keep patching the **** out of it and it will build a huge audience eventually. It will be like TF2, which has had an incredibly long tail.

I'm sure it'll build a following but not to TF2's level imo. CS: Source struggled to win over the CS 1.6 fans (1.6 still has more people playing) and now CS: GO has two predecessors to compete with. So the player base is a bit splintered, whereas TF2 had unique appeal.

Still I might get it and have a gander.

• 1 month later...
Once you have activated it then you can play to your hearts content in offline mode. I can't really see why this would be a problem.

True in theory, but not always in practice.

I can always find a connection and I'm comfortable with PC's so it's fine but a few less tech minded friends gave up Steam gaming due to having real offline issues.

It's not uncommon, and on games like Football Manager is pretty frequent.

• 3 months later...

Surprised this thread hasn't popped up for sales. I've bought nothing yet due to the simple fact I haven't had time.

If anybody's on now which would you recommend out of Dark Souls (£15) and Skyrim (£18)? I've never played DS but I've played Skyrim on Xbox but not much. PC could be a hell of a lot different what with graphics and mods.

I've picked up a few games in the current sale. Havent played them all yet, it's a Steam sale after all, but I have grabbed:

XCOM:Enemy Unknown (£20 I think)

Defcon (£1.49 or something)

Dark Souls (£15)

The Binding of Isaac (£0.99 I think)

As for the above question? Havent played Dark Souls yet, but Skyrim is magnificent. Might not be worth it if you already have it on Xbox though.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought Magicka on the Steam summer sale but didn't install it and now on my library, instead of saying install, it says purchase!

I already bought the damn game once! Surely Steam doesn't have a time period for you to install games you buy? Ridiculous!

Never known that to happen before. It certainly doesn't happen by default as purchases are tied to your login, not the machine you use.

In fact if you try to buy a game you already own it will only let you buy it as a gift for somebody else (I know because I did this a couple of times over Christmas) so I think you have probably encountered a glitch. I'd get in touch with customer services.

• 2 weeks later...

Some decent deals on this weekend. Just picked up FTL for £3.49 and World of Goo for £1.74. The original Half-Life is £1.49 too if anyone hasn't played it.

Just had a blast on FTL, it's a lot of fun, but I am terrible at strategy and resource management games. It is supposed to be pretty hard though from what I've read.

Â