Steam

PussEKatt

I bought the boxed version of Football Manager 2012 and it needs steam to activate it.I dont like steam, and I dont mind playing against the PC.I will go on steam to activate if I have to but does anyone know of any workaround or crack or whatever for steam games so that you can activate without going online. :?:

Once you have activated it then you can play to your hearts content in offline mode. I can't really see why this would be a problem.

As mentioned, Steam has an Offline Mode which you can switch to if you mainly play single player games and your connectivity is often interrupted. If you own the game then finding a cracked version is unlikely to be worth the effort, since illegitimate copies of FM lack automatic updates and are known for having persistent glitches.

I can see why people would dislike Steam, but it's a much more useful, less obtrusive program than it was back in 2004. Just use Offline Mode and you'll barely notice it.

Is it really worth finding a work around?

You'd probably be playing FM by now if you just used Steam

I am playing FM 2011 now.

I just dont like the idear that I paid for the game,I owne the game,its my game.BUT before I play single player I have to D/L updates, then I have to do other stuff just to play offline.

I bought the boxed version from the shop,why cant I just go home,install it and play it......Is that asking too much ? :evil:

No.

But it's either use Steam, and play FM12 tonight,

Or spend aaaages trying to find, and implement, a workaround.

it's your choice, obviously, but it really doesn't seem worth it.

Its just that,like I said its my game so I dont want steam telling me what to do with MY GAME.I mean if they give me say 20% of what I paid for it then they are intitled to ASK me to do this or that.

Put it this way.If I borrow a book from you, then you can tell me to look after it,cause its your book.

But if I buy my owne book then you have no right to tell me what to do with it. Agree ?

Can you see where I am comming from or not ?

I bet it says on the box though that to play you need to use Steam. So in buying the game with that information in place, you've agreed to it in principle.

Its just that,like I said its my game so I dont want steam telling me what to do with MY GAME.I mean if they give me say 20% of what I paid for it then they are intitled to ASK me to do this or that.

Put it this way.If I borrow a book from you, then you can tell me to look after it,cause its your book.

But if I buy my owne book then you have no right to tell me what to do with it. Agree ?

Can you see where I am comming from or not ?

Yeah I can see where you're coming from, I can tell why people have a problem.

but my point is, it's just a mild inconvenience. Is it worth spending all this time trying to get round it when you could just suck it up, activate it using Steam, and then play it in offline mode forever?

Agreed with Stevo. I can see where you're coming from, Puss, because I too have gripes with Steam from a consumer rights angle. There are some interesting horror stories about the terms of the license agreement with Steam, and how people have lost entire game catalogues, worth hundreds, due to glitches and misunderstandings, because Valve reserve the right to shut down accounts at their own discretion. If you ask yourself what recourse you would have if Valve one day decide that you're not allowed to access your games, the answer currently is 'not much'. Steam games obviously also have no resale value and it's very tough to ever get a refund.

However - and I say this as someone who is principled to the point of fanaticism when it comes to companies taking liberties against consumers - these are the times we are living in. Out of all the forms of DRM and all the digital distribution platforms, Steam is among the least offensive, certainly the least offensive 'big name'. Valve are one of the few companies who seem to understand that when you take something away from the customer, you need to give a lot back in exchange - therefore Steam has become a very useful entity in several other ways, like chat (available in-game, even for non-Steam games), voice communication, auto-updates, finding bargains, promotion of indie titles, easy taking of screenshots, etc... It's no real kind of burden on system resources either. Like I say, back when HL2 was released it was a monstrosity but now it gives a lot back. Steam probably rejuvenated the PC games market almost on its own, also.

For their own games, too, Valve appear to recognise the value of customer good will. TF2 got free, huge updates for ages and is now free to play. The add-on campaign for co-op play in Portal 2 was free and my understanding is there will be more where that came from.

So I can see you're approaching this from a point of principle, but what does it accomplish if boycotting/bypassing Steam screws up your enjoyment of a game you want to play.

Its just that,like I said its my game so I dont want steam telling me what to do with MY GAME.

If you read the EULA, technically, its probably not your game at all. The software is probably just licensed to you, not sold. So as its their game then its legal for them to tell you what to do with it, i.e. install steam and use that to play the game.

One of the best things about Steam is it is like a much better version of Xbox Live. The social aspect is great, and one of the best features of that aspect is you can join groups so you can be a part of a game and talk to other people playing it without having to have to clog up your friends list with people you dont really know. For example, Villatalk.com could have its own Steam group, and separate to that it could have its own FM group so everybody playing the game who uses this site (and judging by how active the tread is it is quite a few of you) has another way of staying in contact if needed. I would be absolutely stunned if this feature wasnt in the versions of Xbox Live and PSN which come with the new consoles from Microsoft and Sony.

As I was going to try steam for the first time I bought "Order Of War " on special from E.B.Games.I installed Order Of War and activated it on steam,I played it for a while then I put it in offline mode and switched the PC off.The next time I switched the PC on I went to play Order Of War ( which was already in offline mode ) but when I clicked on play, the PC goes online to verify something on steam then I can start playing the game offline.I thought that offline meant that the PC does not have to go online at all ?!

So what the hell is going on ????

• 3 months later...
Â