The American Election

villadom

No, there are important differences between (for want of a better term) "left" and "right" libertarians.

250px-Political_chart.svg.png

Political spectrum

I'd describe myself as "left libertarian" - leave people alone on social/sexual/moral matters, but pro-state intervention in terms of the economy.

I'd say the loony republicans are the exact opposite - a free for all in terms of economics, but heavy interfering in things like sexuality, abortion, religion, etc.

Social libertarian, where all the good people are ;).

Anarcho-capitalist libertarians are, however, grade A bastards. They're... like the religious nutjob of the political world. Arguing with them is like arguing with a Jehovah crazy, speaking from experience - a good mate is one.

Ron Paul is a Libertarian and all Libertarians are Grade A cnuts. I really don't get the young, middle class love-in for Ron Paul.
So you don't think that people should generally be left the **** alone to do what they want? OoooKay. :?

it depends on the level of intrusion.

On stuff like, personal consumption habits, then ok, personal responsibility may be appealing and on control of your own body - especially for women in this respect then woo yay etc, but on a broader level its more complicated than just telling everyone to buzz off. You share a world locally and globally with a shit-tonne of other people. Unless you want to **** off to antarctica, there's a ncessary element of collective responsibility and engagement required for everyone to live side-by-side successfully anyway.

I have no idea what particular type of libertarianism you're referring to though mind, so who knows!

I wasn't referring to any particular type. The general principle of libertarianism is that people should be left alone. To say that libertarians are "grade A c...'s" suggests disagreement with this principle (:)), i.e. that you DON'T think people should be left alone, which is a strange thing to say, imo.
No, there are important differences between (for want of a better term) "left" and "right" libertarians.

Political spectrum

I'd describe myself as "left libertarian" - leave people alone on social/sexual/moral matters, but pro-state intervention in terms of the economy.

I'd say the loony republicans are the exact opposite - a free for all in terms of economics, but heavy interfering in things like sexuality, abortion, religion, etc.

True enough, although I'd say the word Libertarian usually means Social Libertarian. But I hope Kiwivillan comes back and says he was talking about the Economic Abolish-All-Taxes-and-Rules-and-Let's-Fight-It-Out Libertarianism.

Ron Paul is a Libertarian and all Libertarians are Grade A cnuts. I really don't get the young, middle class love-in for Ron Paul.
So you don't think that people should generally be left the **** alone to do what they want? OoooKay. :?

it depends on the level of intrusion.

On stuff like, personal consumption habits, then ok, personal responsibility may be appealing and on control of your own body - especially for women in this respect then woo yay etc, but on a broader level its more complicated than just telling everyone to buzz off. You share a world locally and globally with a shit-tonne of other people. Unless you want to **** off to antarctica, there's a ncessary element of collective responsibility and engagement required for everyone to live side-by-side successfully anyway.

I have no idea what particular type of libertarianism you're referring to though mind, so who knows!

I wasn't referring to any particular type. The general principle of libertarianism is that people should be left alone. To say that libertarians are "grade A c...'s" suggests disagreement with this principle (:)), i.e. that you DON'T think people should be left alone, which is a strange thing to say, imo.

Political spectrum

At least in the US, libertarian implies right libertarian (the libertarian left feels the need to disambiguate; even then, they tend to describe their views as "free-market anti-capitalism").

Â