Advice needed: Help me stop/cut down the beer...

villanmike

In a nut shell I have been having on average 8 to 9 cans of lager a night, I am not proud of it but I seem to be hit by this very bad habbit.

I want to totally knock beer on the head, I have had enough I, want to start feeling good about myself and lose a little weight that I have got from this drinking.

But every time I decide there is a good time to quit drinking plans suddenly arrise with my family or friends, IE next week is my nephews 21st birthday so were of to town for the night, the week after I have been invited to Tamworth for the night to meet up with a good friend. It seems like when these invites occur it gives me an excuse to continue to drink, even during the week.

I actually don't enjoy the drink until I have had about 4 cans when it starts to 'kick in', I even put food aside (can't drink on a full stomach).

I really would like some advice from fellow people who have had a similar situation and knocked it on the head, even just during the week. Any advice would be great.

Thank you in advance.

with every can, have an equivalent glass of water. You'll fill up faster and your total consumption will drop. No, it might not work but it's worth a shot, you'll also avoid the inevitable dehydration that occurs from excess drinking. Have the glass next to your pint and force yourself to drink it at an equivalent rate.

You have to really want to do this though. If you don't really want to slow down (IE the idea is unappetizing to you) then you won't .

Be prepared to say No to invites in mid week. Schedule your activities to ensure a drink free night or two, that is inviolable, one or two nights per week when you'll simply have a quiet night at home regardless of what's going on. It's your health and true buddies will appreciate that, or should.

8-9 cans is excessive and hazardous to your life and this is going to be a hard road if you're serious, especially if you've been drinking at that rate for some time.

the note about your inability to drink with a full stomach gives you a possible solution: Don't go out to the pub without having eaten well first. It will suck but if you really want to quit it's a way there.

Start taking metronidazole. It's an antibiotic, but if you have a beer while taking it, you'll probably need to be hospitalised. I think they give something similar to alcholics to dissuade them from drinking. Other than that, I suppose try to identify the reasons why you drink. There aren't 21st parties every night. You're not drinking 7/8 cans per night because you're thirsty. If you can arrest whatever is causing you to drink, you'll hopefully cut down on the drinking. Exercise is good.

crikey that's a tough course, metronidazole...I took it while in India. It's a powerful anti-flagellant, I had a serious bout of giardia. Now that stuff will clean out your pipes to be sure. As soon as the aircraft door slammed shut as i left Delhi, I took a whopper of a pill, no prescription needed in Delhi for that, didn't want to bring back any microbial hithchikers to Canada...lol

Funny aside, while backpacking around India, in the evenings you'd think all the conversations around the table in the cheap backpackers hotels i stayed in would be about temples or hiking or comparative religion, Hinduism, the Ganges, Gandhi, Yogis, the Himalayas, but no... It was all about varying levels of success with the latest bowel movement..

... you brought up anti-flagellants...

Let me give it to you straight, it sounds like you are developing or already have a drink problem.

The good news is that I think you know this alread based on you saying that you want to stop, probably an indication that you feel you have little control over your drinking habits and easily succumb to temptation when an 'excuse' arrives e.g nephews 21st birthday next week.

Start going to the gym as you mentioned and cut out the drinking altogether for a while (you can use your fitness drive as a reason for yourself and others and if you go to the gym in the evenings, hey presto no time for drinking). Exercise will make you feel stronger, fitter and more confident. You may also make some new friend here who don't centre their social lives around drinking. When you are back on an even keel, maybe you can try to have a social drink occassionally but it might be you are just better-off being tee-total.

Sometimes it's hard to do, but learn to say 'no' to people when invited out by colleagues/friends etc, you have to do what is right for you and your overall wellbeing.

Good luck mate.

When I decided to stop drinking alcohol that was it, I stopped! I wasn't drinking alcohol every single day. I'd say on average I was drinking 4 times a week but one day I thought **** this and I put a halt to it. I haven't had a drop of alcohol for 8 months now and I really don't miss it either. I still go out and enjoy myself with my mates and I never have the urge to start drinking again. I know in some cases it's not as simple as just stopping altogether straight away but it has worked for me.

I do go out plenty without drinking. If you let the poeple you care about know that you are either cutting back or quitting all together they will/should be supportive. Working out is a great idea but not always easy to do so make sure you have other alternatives you enjoy that don't involve drinking. *movies, reading,bowling, painting....doesn't matter, just something* And finding out why you drink so much is great advice. Fixing that should help you greatly. Start slow if you need to, pick one night with friends where you just don't drink. Or designate a night or two a week to being drink free. Then work from there. Good luck.

If you let the poeple you care about know that you are either cutting back or quitting all together they will/should be supportive.

I was going to say exactly this. Tell everyone you know that you've given up drinking for a while.

They'll then completely understand if you ask for a coke or something rather than a beer when you're out. You won't have that awkward explanation of why you're not drinking which often turns into you having a drink.

It's the same when I've dieted in the past. It's much easier when everyone knows what you're doing. If you try and do it on the sly without telling people it's much harder to avoid the temptations.

In a nut shell I have been having on average 8 to 9 cans of lager a night, I am not proud of it but I seem to be hit by this very bad habbit.....

I actually don't enjoy the drink until I have had about 4 cans when it starts to 'kick in', I even put food aside (can't drink on a full stomach).

No offence intended but do you think you have a drink problem?

I'm not just talking about the fact things keep getting in the way of stopping, because personally I read that and the alarm bells are ringing a little.

Perhaps you should be seeking adivce from people more qualified than us lot on here where people will probably tell you to switch to cider or do someone up the wrong un.

I'd had enough of drinking about 4 months ago and was thinking about quitting altogether. I'd had enough of hangovers, the cost of it and waking up and realising I'd said or done something I shouldn't have.

Generally, people look at you like you're a freak if you tell them you're quitting alcohol, but quitting smoking, dieting, going to the gym etc, etc you get all their advice and backing.

Then perhaps try going out on a full stomach - then you might not be able to drink too much.

Sometimes people drink to forget about things they don't want to deal with and when drinking becomes an ointment to apply to the wounds it

ends up very often becoming a problem.

Men are the worst at hiding things, not dealing with the hurt and instead thinking if they go out for a few pints with their mates - it will all be OK.

The healthier you feel and the more positive you feel about life and yourself, perhaps the less you'll need to drink.

Hope you succeed but don't be afraid to talk to someone.

how about doing different activities with your mates?

so instead of going out drinking in the evening, go to the cinema or go go-karting or something.

also set yourself a limit for the nights you do drink - say 4 pints for now. Promise yourself that for every pint you have above that limit, you have to donate £2 to charity. so each pint will now cost you £5 instead of £3.

I don't know how anyone affords to get drunk - it's like about £50 for a night out these days.

Cigarettes - £7 a packet to boot - flipping heck!

I suppose one way would be to just take out a tenner or £20 without your cards, then you can't spend more than that on a night out

on drink.

If you let the poeple you care about know that you are either cutting back or quitting all together they will/should be supportive.

I was going to say exactly this. Tell everyone you know that you've given up drinking for a while.

They'll then completely understand if you ask for a coke or something rather than a beer when you're out. You won't have that awkward explanation of why you're not drinking which often turns into you having a drink.

It's the same when I've dieted in the past. It's much easier when everyone knows what you're doing. If you try and do it on the sly without telling people it's much harder to avoid the temptations.

:nod:

Personally I would say cut out the drinking in the week altogether. After a short while you will feel a lot better and you won't Miss it a bit.

Either get yourself into a gym or take up an active sport like cycling. You will lose interest in the beer when you find a thrill to replace it, and a good, exercising one is the best to replace it with.

Swimming will help you shift loads of weight quickly...

Â