tyson vs ali

leemond2008

Mate, he shared a ring with Sonny Liston, George Foreman and Earnie Shavers, all of whom were bigger punchers than Tyson by all accounts.

Ali was knocked down three times in 61 fights (4 if you include the push vs Wepner) and was never counted out. He was very good at not getting hit and had a great chin when he did get hit. He beat much better opposition than Tyson ever did. He beat much better opposition than Tyson ever was in the shape of George Foreman and Joe Frazier. To suggest he would have crumpled from a left hook is almost insulting!

Mate, he shared a ring with Sonny Liston, George Foreman and Earnie Shavers, all of whom were bigger punchers than Tyson by all accounts.

Ali was knocked down three times in 61 fights (4 if you include the push vs Wepner) and was never counted out. He was very good at not getting hit and had a great chin when he did get hit. He beat much better opposition than Tyson ever did. He beat much better opposition than Tyson ever was in the shape of George Foreman and Joe Frazier. To suggest he would have crumpled from a left hook is almost insulting!

insulting..ffs,have you ever seen tyson fight? no im not talking about on tv i mean LIVE! mate i have seen him live, also seen benn/eubank/hatton /calz/watson/..all LIVE!! the thread is about views,from what i have seen LIVE i think TYSON would have finished anyone off in his prime,his finishing was second to none.

I don't see how having watched a fighter live makes any difference. Boxing isn't like football where you get a different view of the event by being in the audience due to the size of pitch. Who did you see Tyson fight btw? Did you have ringside seats?

Ali was knocked down three times in 61 fights (4 if you include the push vs Wepner) and was never counted out.

Arguably he should have been against Cooper though .....

Ali was knocked down three times in 61 fights (4 if you include the push vs Wepner) and was never counted out.

Arguably he should have been against Cooper though .....

:nod:

He didnt know his arsehole from his elbow until he had the smelling salts thrust under his nose!

Talk about saved by the bell!

I think Tyson would win fwiw.

Yeah, he was arguably saved by the bell as he got dropped so late in the round but he did get up on the count of three. We will never know if Cooper would have been able to finish Ali though.

I don't see how having watched a fighter live makes any difference. Boxing isn't like football where you get a different view of the event by being in the audience due to the size of pitch. Who did you see Tyson fight btw? Did you have ringside seats?
bruno 2 & francis, close for francis,to be honest you carnt explain it when you see a fight live over tv,take benn v eubank 1,you could see benn was punching him self out,his punches were loosing snap & eubank was taking the ring,boxing is a art, i can see where you view is from with football v boxing,football is about reading of the game,take all of our best players..mcgrath/yorke/barry etc, sometimes when you watch the game its what the do OFF the ball that makes them better than the other players,this is not picked up on tv,with boxing you can see 10 fights in 1,its like a game of chess,if you get the chance to see a "world class" fighter then take it,tysons finishing was breath taking,how he side steps when bruno was in trouble was head shaking stuff,his footwork,he speed of hands/feet/combo punching/defence. i have spoke to a guy who seen ali fight live in the 70s,said how good ali was,my punt would be tyson,because i have seen him fight

The best fighter tyson fought was, Holyfield. If he was in his prime, Larry Holmes. Foreman was a player in the division when Tyson fought, Foreman was 50 years old..........Tyson was the best i have seen live at finishing, i think he would have struggled with Lewis in his prime, to big and to mobile and i have watched them both live.

Comparing boxers of different eras is as difficult as comparing footballers of different eras in my view. They prepare themselves to the levels required of that era and to the best that the era has to offer w.r.t. sport science be it diet, training, medication etc.

A boxer from the 50s, 60s or 70s would no more be able to go head to head with a modern boxer than a footballer from the same era would be able to run the match distances that a modern footballer would.

That doesn't detract from the legend of the older guys. Ali is more of a legend than Tyson and Ali was probably more dominant in his era than Tyson and probably for longer too. But in the ring, head to head in some hypothetical boxing match, I believe Tyson at his peak would batter Ali at his peak for the reasons outlined above.

The best fighter tyson fought was, Holyfield. If he was in his prime, Larry Holmes. Foreman was a player in the division when Tyson fought, Foreman was 50 years old..........Tyson was the best i have seen live at finishing, i think he would have struggled with Lewis in his prime, to big and to mobile and i have watched them both live.
you see lenny v razor live?

Nope

Lennox against Gary Mason, Derek Williams and Evander Holyfield, the first fight. Tyson against Frank Bruno the first fight (who hurt tyson enough to put him down, imo, but bottled it and stood off him) , and Julius Francis.

Im not taking anything away from Tyson, he was one of the greatest ever boxers, his whole persona deystroyed many a fighter before they even touched gloves, Trever Berbeck springs to mind.

prime Lennox Lewis (the one who destroyed Donovan Razor Ruddock)

I wouldn't say that's prime Lewis myself. He looked at lot more vulnerable at that early stage than he did later. I prefer the later Manny Steward moulded version. Less aggressive, but more effective IMO.

Foreman was better at what Tyson was all about, he was bigger, stronger and had a harder punch, Ali beat foreman.........

Take a look at Foremans fights before he met with Ali, the guy was a beast of fighter.

Foreman and Tyson have very different styles. It doesn't really work like that.

To answer the original question, Ali. He's got all the facets to his game that you need to beat Tyson. Great chin, jab, engine, movement, durability. I'd fancy Ali to stop him late on.

prime Lennox Lewis (the one who destroyed Donovan Razor Ruddock)

I wouldn't say that's prime Lewis myself. He looked at lot more vulnerable at that early stage than he did later. I prefer the later Manny Steward moulded version. Less aggressive, but more effective IMO.

Foreman was better at what Tyson was all about, he was bigger, stronger and had a harder punch, Ali beat foreman.........

Take a look at Foremans fights before he met with Ali, the guy was a beast of fighter.

Foreman and Tyson have very different styles. It doesn't really work like that.

To answer the original question, Ali. He's got all the facets to his game that you need to beat Tyson. Great chin, jab, engine, movement, durability. I'd fancy Ali to stop him late on.

May as well close the thread because IMO the VT Boxing authority has spoken.

Â