Hunting, yes or no?

Guest av1

Im watching country file at the moment and Matt Baker is hunting in Scotland.

Im no tree hugging veggie, i love my meat as much as the next man. But what is everyone's thoughts about killing animals for sport?

Apparently people pay £1000 to shoot a Dear. amazing.

Well my true opinion is that it's wrong.

But seeing as everyone isnt suddenly going to see sense and become vegetarians, if you eat the animals that are hunted then I see no issue for it.

If they just kill to kill then that's just cruel.

When I used to live out in the sticks last year I went a whole week almost entirely self-sufficient; living off the rabbit/pheasant/woodcock I'd shot, our own eggs and the veg that was growing in the greenhouse. It was a very interesting experience to say the least.

As far as hunting for sport - bollocks to that. As long as it's going to be eaten I have no problem with it.

Yes. It's a big industry in the rural communities and is only really campaigned against by city dwellers with little experience of life in a rural communities.

I don't participate personally but I know a lot of people that do.

As a "tree hugging veggie" I'm going to vote No.

Maybe tree hugging veggie was a disrespectful thing to say, for that i apologise.

My point really (as stated above) is food/meat is a way of life. killing for sport? Not for me.

As a "tree hugging veggie" I'm going to vote No.

Maybe tree hugging veggie was a disrespectful thing to say, for that i apologise.

My point really (as stated above) is food/meat is a way of life. killing for sport? Not for me.

No worries, I've been called a lot worse :thumb:

Anyone see the pics this week of Donald Trumps sons out in Africa shooting an elephant a leopard and a buffalo for fun

**** scum bastards

That's taking it to another level, and is massively wrong. Hunting in the rural communities of England is generally hunting vermin/pests. Shooting an elephant is just wrong.

When I used to live out in the sticks last year I went a whole week almost entirely self-sufficient; living off the rabbit/pheasant/woodcock I'd shot, our own eggs and the veg that was growing in the greenhouse. It was a very interesting experience to say the least.

As far as hunting for sport - bollocks to that. As long as it's going to be eaten I have no problem with it.

I spent 5yrs in the army, as such went on many survival courses which involved killing animals.

Again, no problem with killing animals for food, just the idea of killing for fun.

Pretty much the same as everyone on here has said.

It's not the loss of the animal that bothers me, hunting for food is fine. It's the scum that shoot animals for the 'thrill' of it and get a photo of themselves next to it as if they've achieved something. You pointed a gun and pulled the trigger, well done.

It pisses me off when you get hunting and fishing in the sports section.

Hunting is only a sport if it's at least marginally fair: give the deer guns or, if that won't work, hunt in the nude. If your cock gets stuck in a thornbush, well, that's your problem.

Yes. It's a big industry in the rural communities and is only really campaigned against by city dwellers with little experience of life in a rural communities.

I don't participate personally but I know a lot of people that do.

More or less this.

I grew up in a rural community but since Uni have lived in an urban one for 8 years, I sometimes feel there's alot of politics of urbanites imposing their preferences on the rural world they have no idea of. Also part of me can't help it's a case of banning something based on the people who take part.

I have no interest in it myself, but I am immediately skeptical of banning anything that doesn't need to be banned, and doing so only because one may not like the 'toffs' who do it, seems pretty poor to me. Of course those who dislike it don't couch it in a '**** the toff's' line of argument but it feels like an undercurrent of those who do oppose it. If people who oppose it are veggies too, then fair enough at least the position is consistent, but if you're a meatie and call to ban it, that strikes me as a bit off.

Like I said, I couldn't give a shit, personally. I

but if you're a meatie and call to ban it, that strikes me as a bit off.

I think if you offered most beef cattle a chance to trade places with a deer, they'd take it.

On a related note, venison is quite possibly the tastiest meat out there.

I've no issue with killing an animal if you're prepared to eat it. But I worry about anyone that kills just for the 'fun'. If you like the challenge of shooting, there are plenty of places you can shoot at targets.

However, I know what a big industry it can be. I have friends who work in a hotel in the Trossachs and a lot of the people that go there do so purely for the stalking.

It's the scum that shoot animals for the 'thrill' of it and get a photo of themselves next to it as if they've achieved something. You pointed a gun and pulled the trigger, well done.
Yep, and yet there are huge numbers of people who get their kicks that way. They are mostly people who voted for George W Bush and talk with the emphasis on the first syllable of every word. It really takes all sorts.

Â