Muamba

irreverentad

"pray" need not have a supernatural connotation.

what? :lol:

"pray" in general means "to humbly beg someone for aid or their time"; this definition goes back through the French prier ("je vous en prie": "I beg of you" (cf. "Prithee...")) to the Latin precare and ultimately to the Sanskrit prach (to ask). To default to reading a supernatural connotation into it is implicitly to say that the only/main source of aid is supernatural, which I trust is not at all what Brumerican means to say.

I don't much care what the etymology of the word is, most words can be traced back hundreds of years to very different meanings.

The fact remains that the word "pray" has for the last couple of hundred years and continues today to have a religious meaning.

The "humbly beg someone for aid or their time" is still a current definition.

Arguing that usage of the word implies asking for supernatural aid is assuming that the only entities worth humbly begging for their time are supernatural.

What Levi says is completely correct, there are non-religious contexts that 'pray' can be used in.

However, none of them are really applicable here. For example, all the footballers and Facebook statuses asking us to 'Pray For Muamba', they are not asking us to 'humbly ask Muamba for his time or aid' are they?

Back to the bollocks of all this, this overreaction even puts the Gary Speed thing into the shade.

Unfortunately we live in an age where people go completely over the top in translating pity for others into their own self pity, which they subsequently wallow in.

In a week where 5 kids in their earlier 20s plus a bloke in his early 30s were murdered in Afghanistan, and when a huge number of happy, excited, chattering children didn't return home to their parents, a footballer was taken ill at work.

Perspective is something that is hugely lacking in our society.

I see the Twitter guy who got 56 days in jail for his tweets about Muamba has had his appeal rejected. Apparently he was studying to join the police as a forensic officer, and I guess he can kiss that goodbye now. It also emerged that he got in trouble for violent disorder and threatening police officers when drunk last year. Perhaps he should lay off the sauce a bit if it keeps making him do stuff like this?

• 2 weeks later...

Heard the other day that he might be able to play football again....obviously not immediately but at some point due to them putting some sort of device in him for his heart.

Â